Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone!

I have just returned from an enjoyable 3-day ride.
However I have encountered rain ... and I found it cold ... because I only had my meshed summer riding gear (ATGATT).

I do have rain gear BUT ... as always ... stopped on the side of the road trying to put on rain pants is not easy when your riding boots get stuck in the pant leg. The pants have ankle to knee zippers ... that's not enough for me.

I've had enough LOL ... and am now shopping for good rain pants with full length zippers on each leg.

Any insight, recommendation, etc. would be VERY appreciated!

Thank you! :)

·
Registered
279 Posts
i found it easier to tour with rain proof olympia riding pants. paired with a mesh jacket with a rain liner, and water proof boots, you only need to zip in the jacket liner and you're good to go.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i found it easier to tour with rain proof olympia riding pants. paired with a mesh jacket with a rain liner, and water proof boots, you only need to zip in the jacket liner and you're good to go.
My spring & fall riding pants are waterproof but for most of the season, I wear mesh riding pants.
I then use rain pants over the mesh riding pants.

·
Registered
279 Posts
My spring & fall riding pants are waterproof but for most of the season, I wear mesh riding pants.
I then use rain pants over the mesh riding pants.
funny, in spite of the heat down here most of the year, the olympia WP pants are as bearable as anything else. but a mesh jacket is an absolute necessity down here. my last trip i used carhartt duck double fronts, which provide less protection, but were very comfortable. however, i got into some weather, and i could hardly get into my rain pants on the side of the road ! (in the comfort of my home i had no problem getting them over my boots, but that's not the real world.) i subsequently COOKED and steamed in the rain pants for hours ! guess i'll go back to the olympias.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
funny, in spite of the heat down here most of the year, the olympia WP pants are as bearable as anything else. but a mesh jacket is an absolute necessity down here. my last trip i used carhartt duck double fronts, which provide less protection, but were very comfortable. however, i got into some weather, and i could hardly get into my rain pants on the side of the road ! (in the comfort of my home i had no problem getting them over my boots, but that's not the real world.) i subsequently COOKED and steamed in the rain pants for hours ! guess i'll go back to the olympias.
Our riding temperatures are very different LOL!
Today I was out on a 450 km ride with my spring/fall riding pants AND electric jacket liner under fall jacket ALONG with electric gloves AND balaclava under my full face helmet. It was just right: not cold nor too hot.
We gotta do what we gotta do! :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just got the Olympia airglides 70% off from a local place having a moving sale. They seem pretty solid for waterproof and 3 season riding.

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Icon PDX 2 Waterproof Over-pants

I have received my Icon PDX 2 Waterproof Bib rain pants today. They are exactly what I was looking for. These rain over-pants are top shelf quality (full length zipper on each leg, comfort mesh liner, nylon waterproof/breathable shell, level 3 waterproofing, etc, etc.). These are easily the best I have ever had. I'm almost anxious to try them out LOL!

The following is not a negative point but simply a personal preference.

I'm getting the suspenders and rear bib removed because, when I get caught unexpectedly in a sudden downpour, I like to slip on rain gear as quickly and as easily as possible (without needing to remove helmet, jacket, etc.). With suspenders on the rain pants, my jacket would need to be removed before putting them on. Since the pants have an elastic band around the waist, this should work just fine.

Thanks for your insight, etc. It is appreciated. :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Any update on the Icon PDX2 pants? Maybe a quick review? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
19,635 Posts

·
Registered
1,215 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Maybe put them on, then step into the shower...?

:wink2:

>:)
:funnypost::D:D
I forgot to mention that the suspenders and rear bib have been removed. These rain pants are now easily slipped over my mesh riding pants. Note: I do not need these over my heavier riding pants which I use in early spring and late fall.

·
Registered
972 Posts
Put on your rain gear and step outside..............hook up a garden hose and turn on..........call wife outside and tug on her chain/push her buttons (you do know how to do this right?)..............see if you're still dry after the onslaught. Problems solved, you will know if they "work".

1 - 20 of 28 Posts