Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've used the search function to look up 43T threads, seems a lot of the recommended rear sprockets have been discontinued.

Anyone have some current 43T recommendations for me please?

Thanks a ton!

·
Premium Member
16,143 Posts
I've used the search function to look up 43T threads, seems a lot of the recommended rear sprockets have been discontinued.

Thanks a ton!
Most of the guys have switch the front to a 16T or for the rear a 44T. i've only seen were a few went with a 43T rear

·
Registered
121 Posts
Most of the guys have switch the front to a 16T or for the rear a 44T. i've only seen were a few went with a 43T rear
As one of those few, it gives me exactly what I want - a nice, smooth, USABLE first gear, low-wear freeway commuting @ 5000 in 6th, and as much acceleration as I need. YM,OC,MV... The speedo is also nearly spot-on.

It's good to know that the selection is slim at this time, so I can start looking for a replacement to stash away for when the time comes along.

·
Registered
291 Posts

Thanks a ton!
You need a Supersprox RST478 for Kawasaki 650 Versys (USA) [2007-2012] (43 Gold) from here - http://www.supersproxusa.com/products.php?cat=1698 and they have them in stock

Richard :clap:

·
Registered
3,373 Posts
As another of the few who opted for a 43 tooth rear sprocket, I'm very happy with the results. I selected ther SunStar steel sprocket - same brand as the OEM sprocket on my 2008. As I recall I got it either from Twisted Throttle or Motorcycle Superstore. Sorry, I'm away from my records at the moment or I could tell you for certain.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I've experimented with several rear sprockets from my son's 2004 ZX6R. You may want to use that bike for hunting sprockets since it's more popular. I'm guessing that several years of the ZX6R will work.
YMMV.......
Dan

·
Registered
901 Posts
I just swapped my stock to a 44T. I am really happy with it. I had sitting in my garage for over a year an never put it on. Partly I was lazy and partly I was afraid I'd lose to much performance. I think a 43 may make first gear a little to slow for me.

·
Registered
643 Posts
I did a Supersprox 44t, very nice looking high quality piece. Looks like the one pictured above. The 44t did not quite fix the odometer error. Good performance.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Compared to the stock 46T which is really unusable for normal metro commuting and touring the 43T (mine) or 44T is an excellent choice.

I have had the 43T on since about 300klm and now have over 1500 klm on it. I also just purchased a 44T and am keen to try that out, I suspect it will be a lot more suitable for my daily metro commuting as the 43T makes the 2nd and 3rd gears not so tractable at low speed.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I wound up selecting the Sunstar 43T from an ebay seller. I didn't want to spend $80 (Supersprox) on an experiment. The Sunstar was $42 and change with shipping. Hopefully I'll get it put on by the dealership today. I called them for a quote on the change and they said they would do it for $27. I'd need to spend way more than that for the tools to do it alone as I own next to nothing in tools. Plus I'm sure it would be an all day project for me since I don't have a clue what I'm doing.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Dealership only took about 45 minutes to switch this out. Just rode the bike back to work, gotta say WOW! The 43T made it feel like a completely different bike... in a good way.

Now my first gear gets me to 25mph and I'm able to clear intersections before changing gears. Bye bye stump-puller!

·
Registered
9 Posts
I use a JT Sprockets 43. Works well and corrects the speedo error. Part no. JTR478.43. They are available in 38, 42, 43, 45 and 46.

I got mine from Amazon for $23, installed it in about 20 minutes.

The Supersprox composite units are nice and light, if you can afford them.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
One thing I noticed about my Sunstar 43T is it is a bit thinner than the stock 46T. This allows maybe 1/16th play back and forth of the chain, but I don't really see that this will cause a problem.

Anyone else think so?

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts
I wound up selecting the Sunstar 43T from an ebay seller. I didn't want to spend $80 (Supersprox) on an experiment. The Sunstar was $42 and change with shipping. Hopefully I'll get it put on by the dealership today. I called them for a quote on the change and they said they would do it for $27. I'd need to spend way more than that for the tools to do it alone as I own next to nothing in tools. Plus I'm sure it would be an all day project for me since I don't have a clue what I'm doing.
Where are you located???

1 - 18 of 18 Posts