Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

Reason(s) not to go OEM side cases?

13K views 37 replies 15 participants last post by  jaaklucas 
#1 ·
I've been going back and forth with side cases. (I'm worse than a child trying to pick out what flavor ice cream they want at Baskin Robbins!)

I discussed with mentolio as he has the Shad's with the 3P system and the SH36 cases. I like their looks but didn't want the side-opening cases. I do like the Shad SH23's...but they won't fit the Versys 650 3P system. And wouldn't ya know, they're the ONLY Shad cases that have top-openings. :frown2: So, after pricing the Shad brackets and SH36 cases I'm looking at around $700.

Then I thought of the Givi's. The mounting brackets are ugly-looking if you ride without the cases. Plus, you have to lower the license plate bracket to mount the case brackets. This requires removing the turn signals, installing the Givi license plate bracket, and there's also that cross-over bar. I thought of doing that and getting the E22's as they are cheaper and also top-opening. (Had this set-up on my NC700. Not big cases but sturdy and held what I needed it to hold.) The Trekker series look tough as nails, but I find the Versys to be more street savvy. IMO, those Trekkers look awesome on a V-strom or Super Tenere as, to me, those bikes have a more "boxy" look to them. As far as the larger Givi cases, they're too "pontoon-looking" to me.
Anyway, the Givi brackets and E22's run about $350.

Then, while at Bike Week, I got a chance to mess around with the OEM cases. Yes, they're side-opening but they really look great on the Versys (IMO). And, if you don't want to use them you just simply pull them off and there's no ugly brackets! But then there's the price. Ouch!!! $800 for the cases and another $40 for the rubber mounts, then another $50 for the ignition-key locks!

So I called my dealer where I bought the Versys and asked if they gave a discount on OEM accessories. He priced me out at $750 for everything!!!

I know this is a late post but I'll be going down there tomorrow to pay for it. Any reason I shouldn't? Anyone who has these cases find them not worth it?

See less See more
#2 ·
I don't like Hard Side Cases....I brought my 2016 V-1000LT home and the first thing i did was take the hard cases off and put them in the spare room. They haven't been touched in almost 2 years. I use a Givi E-55 Topcase to haul my stuff then i have a pair of Chase Harper Small Bags where i keep tools and electrical goodies. If i ever need the side cases i can throw them on. But i would prefer a set of soft bags to use if needed....

2 Joe's On ACH by weljo2001, on Flickr

#3 ·
I thought of soft cases, too. But I do like the idea of locking hard cases. Sure, anything can be broken in to but I'd rather have someone fight a little with a screw drive than simply take a pair of scissors. Plus, in the Florida sun, soft bags start to turn purple really fast.

#4 · (Edited)
Yes, But hard cases get scuffed almost everytime you throw your leg over a bike. A small drop can destroy a hard side case which is expensive but a soft side case can take the impact much better and still hold your crap as you take it home afterwards..

#5 ·
#7 ·
reality check:

you spend probably 500-1000$ just in fuel per year, not counting other maintenance, tires, chains, sprockets, oil... etc.
can you spent 800$ for something that pretty much lasts forever (at least 20 years = 40$/year) and that you can resell?

find cases that you like, top opening, that fit any bike given the rack, like swmotech trax alu.
and please look for used ones first; it's rare but you might be lucky.

#8 ·
If you have a Costco membership, you can get up to $200 off of OEM parts purchased from your local participating Kawasaki dealer, which includes the OEM hard bags. Just contact Costco on line, and they will send you an email with the discount "code" and a list of local participating Kawasaki dealers. Then just show the email to the parts guy to get your discount.

-Dave

#9 ·
The previous two bikes I had did not have OEM luggage and I used aftermarket stuff for saddlebags and top case (Bates and Leatherlyke)............never was real happy with them. When I got the Versys it came with the OEM cases (2015 LT) and I added the 47L top case. I only use the saddlebags when on a long trip but I'm happy with them.

#11 ·
Not a fan of Cahill's. I've gone there a few times for parts and that kid behind the desk had no idea what he was talking about.
Tampa Bay Powersports. Always good to me there!

Yeah, sorry it was so crazy yesterday. Although I ride up by Eustis all the time I don't really go further north so I had no idea that 19 ran into 40...even though I've taken that route to Daytona a few years ago.
BTW, was that you on the white bike with a white jacket?

#12 ·
...I know this is a late post but I'll be going down there tomorrow to pay for it. Any reason I shouldn't? Anyone who has these cases find them not worth it?
In general I'm very happy w/ the OEM bags on my '15 650LT, and they are VERY easily removed to lube the chain.

#17 · (Edited)
I went round and round on the cases for my '09 which I bought new with V-35 cases. The V35's are roomy but due to the way they open, I didn't find them practical. I eventually went with the much smaller Givi's which load from the top. For trips I need more room so a tail bag, and a tank bag along with a Pelican case mounted on a rear rack is my solution. They are all detachable so I only take what I need. Here is how it changed over time.

Hey Devilsfan, were you on the FZ1OA back in the day?

Attachments

#18 ·
I went round and round on the cases for my '09 which I bought new with V-35 cases....
Loved your pics, Yamadog - I'm a "green" fan too, so here are two of mine...

altho' I ONLY have the last one now (at least in Canada...)!

Attachments

#19 ·
"I do like the Shad SH23's...but they won't fit the Versys 650 3P system"

Are you certain? I thought the point of the 3P was "one size fits all?" I'll send an email to Shad USA for confirmation...if they really don't fit, I am going to be bummed! I was strongly considering getting the smaller bags.

#20 ·
Yes, I even called them and asked. NOT that the guy on the other end of the phone new anything other than typing up a sale those SH23"s do NOT fit. It even says it on the website.

I asked the guys at the dealer what they knew. We all came to the conclusion that the small SH23's won't fit a longer-bended tube as the 3P system is. In other words, there are two points that hook on the top of the bracket. These points have to be fixed. Therefore, a smaller bag would have to slide closer to the bend where one of the hooks on the bag would wind up being over the bend, not on the straight part of the bracket.

#21 ·
Picked up the side cases, mounts and locks today.

It's been two hours, the ignition key can fit all the way into the locks...with all kinds of combination of pins!!!

Isn't that something that's NOT supposed to happen?!?!?!

Needless to say, I put the lock in the side case...and it won't turn. :mad: :mad: :mad:

What am I missing??? Because if these don't work they're going back to Kawasaki, cases included. Plus, I didn't realize that you have to spring another $150 for the colored shells. I wanted just black but if you keep them like they are it looks like something's missing from the face of the side case, as if a big piece of plastic trim is missing.
Wish they would have told me that before I bought them.

Suggestions?

#23 ·
When i put the replacement lock in my Givi Topcase It didn't want to turn..I had to take the lock out then turn it 180degrees and put it back in. Then it worked perfect....

#22 ·
I've never looked at the guts for the cylinder locks...

We could meet up this weekend and compare stuff but things look a bit tough to access.

Bummer on the extra $150.

#25 ·
Ok, spent from 4:00 - 5:45 with a locksmith trying to pin these locks to my ignition key. Although long and tedious we had a nice time. There's an old locksmith shop here in my town and the "senior" lady and I were doing more talking than "pinning"! :D

We got them done, struggled to get them seated in the bags, but finally finished and ready to go! I am assuming that everyone who has the OEM side cases, you can only pull the key out when they're in the locked position??? Because both of these locks work that way.

Final thoughts - I really like these side cases but for the price and, now that I've discovered that 2 plastic "covers" for the bags will cost no less than $140, I'd probably have to go with the Shads next time. (A little cheaper, is anything.)

So, until I get the nerve up to shell out an extra $150 for the colored covers I'll be using the bags how they are.

#35 ·
Picked up those side case covers this afternoon. Easy install as it just requires a tiny phillips head screw driver. 5 small screws and done.

For those that don't know...if you buy the OEM cases PICK YOUR COLOR when you order!!! If not, and want just black cases you'll get this:

Notice how it looks like something's missing from the top. That would be the ADDITIONAL $150 plastic covers!!! :mad:

When installed the Carbon Fiber Charcoal covers look like this:

I do like these side cases though. I'm riding to work with them on tomorrow so we shall see if there's any issues.

#36 ·
The one thing I really like about the OEM panniers is that you can fit a helmut in them. But 4 years in on my 650 and Ive realized that having one side packed and the other side empty(I ride with them on all the time) is not a great idea....for balance. Once a year it seems I have a standing drop so Im spreading the load and installing an external helmut lock. Ive been thinking of installing a divider in them for a while now to get organized ,heres what it looks like...

Attachments

#37 ·
I think your "divider" is the "cat's meow"! Can you make a pattern of it and post it up? Did you just remove the outer and trace it?

STILL - I prefer the aluminum TUSK bags, top-opening, and will PROBABLY buy a set next time I'm in AZ, then retro-fit them to the GREEN HORNET TOO here in BC.

;)

#38 ·
I think your "divider" is the "cat's meow"! Can you make a pattern of it and post it up? Did you just remove the outer and trace it?;)
Not sure how I could transmit my pattern to scale. I took a piece of cardboard and laid it against the opened pannier and started marking and cutting with scissors or razor knife. Eventually you make a mock-up, kinda trial and error, you can correct with masking tape and adding more cardboard if neccesary. Then just trace it to the plexiglass, 1/8th inch I chose. Cut it with a hacksaw and files etc. I used a "piano hinge", kitchen cabinet style from Rhona. Short bolts through the plexi and short sheet metal screws into the pannier. They dont come out the bottom. Seems quite solid! I know alot of people arent crazy about the OEM panniers but this pretty well completes the OEM design for me. Keeps the heavier weight close to the dead-center of the bike for balance and leaves the outer half of the pannier open for this and that...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.