Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Picked up the side cases, mounts and locks today.

It's been two hours, the ignition key can fit all the way into the locks...with all kinds of combination of pins!!!

Isn't that something that's NOT supposed to happen?!?!?!

Needless to say, I put the lock in the side case...and it won't turn. :mad: :mad: :mad:

What am I missing??? Because if these don't work they're going back to Kawasaki, cases included. Plus, I didn't realize that you have to spring another $150 for the colored shells. I wanted just black but if you keep them like they are it looks like something's missing from the face of the side case, as if a big piece of plastic trim is missing.
Wish they would have told me that before I bought them.

Suggestions?

·
Registered
804 Posts
I've never looked at the guts for the cylinder locks...

We could meet up this weekend and compare stuff but things look a bit tough to access.

Bummer on the extra $150.

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
Picked up the side cases, mounts and locks today.

It's been two hours, the ignition key can fit all the way into the locks...with all kinds of combination of pins!!!

Isn't that something that's NOT supposed to happen?!?!?!

Needless to say, I put the lock in the side case...and it won't turn. :mad: :mad: :mad:

What am I missing??? Because if these don't work they're going back to Kawasaki, cases included. Plus, I didn't realize that you have to spring another $150 for the colored shells. I wanted just black but if you keep them like they are it looks like something's missing from the face of the side case, as if a big piece of plastic trim is missing.
Wish they would have told me that before I bought them.

Suggestions?

When i put the replacement lock in my Givi Topcase It didn't want to turn..I had to take the lock out then turn it 180degrees and put it back in. Then it worked perfect....

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
...Needless to say, I put the lock in the side case...and it won't turn. :mad: :mad: :mad:....
...We could meet up this weekend and compare stuff but things look a bit tough to access....
I believe there's a 'special' way to do it. That's my recollection of watching the dealer's mechanic installing mine....

:goodluck:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Ok, spent from 4:00 - 5:45 with a locksmith trying to pin these locks to my ignition key. Although long and tedious we had a nice time. There's an old locksmith shop here in my town and the "senior" lady and I were doing more talking than "pinning"! :D

We got them done, struggled to get them seated in the bags, but finally finished and ready to go! I am assuming that everyone who has the OEM side cases, you can only pull the key out when they're in the locked position??? Because both of these locks work that way.

Final thoughts - I really like these side cases but for the price and, now that I've discovered that 2 plastic "covers" for the bags will cost no less than $140, I'd probably have to go with the Shads next time. (A little cheaper, is anything.)

So, until I get the nerve up to shell out an extra $150 for the colored covers I'll be using the bags how they are.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I don't like Hard Side Cases....I brought my 2016 V-1000LT home and the first thing i did was take the hard cases off and put them in the spare room. They haven't been touched in almost 2 years. I use a Givi E-55 Topcase to haul my stuff then i have a pair of Chase Harper Small Bags where i keep tools and electrical goodies. If i ever need the side cases i can throw them on. But i would prefer a set of soft bags to use if needed....

2 Joe's On ACH by weljo2001, on Flickr
So I watched your ride video where you took this pic, have you had a chance to ride the FJ-09 to compare it to your V1k? Was hard to tell how the bikes were doing in those canyons as both of you were taking it pretty easy

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
So I watched your ride video where you took this pic, have you had a chance to ride the FJ-09 to compare it to your V1k? Was hard to tell how the bikes were doing in those canyons as both of you were taking it pretty easy

I haven't ridden his FJ-09. Just from looking at the peg position i could tell it would be to cramped for me. Angeles Crest Highway is a beautiful road to ride but lots of people have been killed on that road by going off the mountain cars and bikes. Lots of bicyclist,sand in corners as well as rocks and folks who can't stay in their lanes and i had a deer jump in front of me once. So we go at a nice clip toward the safety side. If i wanted to push the bike i would take it to a track. I have a video of hitting triple digits numerous times on that road but it wasn't a smart move on my part..

·
Registered
363 Posts
I haven't ridden his FJ-09. Just from looking at the peg position i could tell it would be to cramped for me. Angeles Crest Highway is a beautiful road to ride but lots of people have been killed on that road by going off the mountain cars and bikes. Lots of bicyclist,sand in corners as well as rocks and folks who can't stay in their lanes and i had a deer jump in front of me once. So we go at a nice clip toward the safety side. If i wanted to push the bike i would take it to a track. I have a video of hitting triple digits numerous times on that road but it wasn't a smart move on my part..
Tell me about it, I went to a benefit today for a friend that was seriously hurt in a crash last week, he was riding way too fast and a minivan turned out in front of him, he survived, but it will take him years to recover and he ended up losing an arm. He's taking it surprisingly well, said he will learn to ride 1 handed or get a trike once he's recovered.

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
Tell me about it, I went to a benefit today for a friend that was seriously hurt in a crash last week, he was riding way too fast and a minivan turned out in front of him, he survived, but it will take him years to recover and he ended up losing an arm. He's taking it surprisingly well, said he will learn to ride 1 handed or get a trike once he's recovered.

Sorry to hear about your friend. One of the first group rides i went on to Angeles Crest Hwy when i first brought my bike out here. There was a guy that was riding that road since his accident where he went off the mountain years earlier. He was still jacked up but he had an old Kawasaki Vulcan 440 LTD i believe with disable plates on it. We stopped where he went off and took some photos and from the spot he went off i don't know how he survived.

At 2:40 of this video you can see the guy pointing to where he went off the mountain ....

Heres the video of the ride. You can see that he almost missed a corner right off the bat...

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
Please tell him that some years ago (when I had a Suzuki Bandit 1200S) I went to an "A&W Bike Night" and saw a fellow w/ only one arm ride in on another B1200S.

No pics, but I was MIGHTY impressed. If my memory 'serves' - he'd lost his left arm, so had the clutch added to the right-side controls..., and rode it WELL!

:thumb: - :thumb:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
There's a guy that rides The Dragon with only one arm! Type in "One arm motorcycle riders" on Youtube and there's a few vids.

·
Registered
2015 Versys 650 ABS
1,149 Posts
Amazing One Arm Motorcycle Rider - Mulholland Riders

Please tell him that some years ago (when I had a Suzuki Bandit 1200S) I went to an "A&W Bike Night" and saw a fellow w/ only one arm ride in on another B1200S.

No pics, but I was MIGHTY impressed. If my memory 'serves' - he'd lost his left arm, so had the clutch added to the right-side controls..., and rode it WELL!

:thumb: - :thumb:

·
Registered
759 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Picked up those side case covers this afternoon. Easy install as it just requires a tiny phillips head screw driver. 5 small screws and done.

For those that don't know...if you buy the OEM cases PICK YOUR COLOR when you order!!! If not, and want just black cases you'll get this:

Notice how it looks like something's missing from the top. That would be the ADDITIONAL $150 plastic covers!!! :mad:

When installed the Carbon Fiber Charcoal covers look like this:

I do like these side cases though. I'm riding to work with them on tomorrow so we shall see if there's any issues.

·
Registered
530 Posts
The one thing I really like about the OEM panniers is that you can fit a helmut in them. But 4 years in on my 650 and Ive realized that having one side packed and the other side empty(I ride with them on all the time) is not a great idea....for balance. Once a year it seems I have a standing drop so Im spreading the load and installing an external helmut lock. Ive been thinking of installing a divider in them for a while now to get organized ,heres what it looks like...

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
I think your "divider" is the "cat's meow"! Can you make a pattern of it and post it up? Did you just remove the outer and trace it?

STILL - I prefer the aluminum TUSK bags, top-opening, and will PROBABLY buy a set next time I'm in AZ, then retro-fit them to the GREEN HORNET TOO here in BC.

;)

·
Registered
530 Posts
I think your "divider" is the "cat's meow"! Can you make a pattern of it and post it up? Did you just remove the outer and trace it?;)
Not sure how I could transmit my pattern to scale. I took a piece of cardboard and laid it against the opened pannier and started marking and cutting with scissors or razor knife. Eventually you make a mock-up, kinda trial and error, you can correct with masking tape and adding more cardboard if neccesary. Then just trace it to the plexiglass, 1/8th inch I chose. Cut it with a hacksaw and files etc. I used a "piano hinge", kitchen cabinet style from Rhona. Short bolts through the plexi and short sheet metal screws into the pannier. They dont come out the bottom. Seems quite solid! I know alot of people arent crazy about the OEM panniers but this pretty well completes the OEM design for me. Keeps the heavier weight close to the dead-center of the bike for balance and leaves the outer half of the pannier open for this and that...

21 - 38 of 38 Posts