Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a dumb question. I had my V up on the rear stand today checking to see if she started, she did, and I noticed with the bike in neutral the rear wheel had some spin on it. I could stop it with my foot but if I revved it it definitely sped up. Seems to me that the chain and wheel should not be moving while in neutral. Bike has 13k on it and clutch cable was replaced in April. Is this a problem or is this normal? Thanks again.

·
Registered
670 Posts
clutch drag, no worries.

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
Clutch drag would account for it if it was in gear but kept turning with the clutch lever pulled in, i.e. “disengaged” but still dragging.

With the tranny in neutral, it sounds like a fluid coupling effect, i.e. with the driving gear creating an oil flow against the driven gear (like one fan blowing on another... not engaged but inducing it to spin).

In either case, not cause for concern...

·
Premium Member
7,806 Posts
If the wheel spins while in neutral but can be easily stopped by putting a hand on it, it's completely normal.
It's not because of the clutch but because of viscous coupling between the tranny gears, the shafts they're on, and the oily film between.

Completely Normal.

:cheers:

·
Registered
203 Posts
What everyone else said. If you can easily stop the wheel then it's not cause for concern, just the oil between the plates turning the easily rotated drive train. However, this is one reason I always put the transmission in neutral AND pull in the clutch when starting. Might as well make things as easy as possible on the starter.

·
Registered
7 Posts
yes i had this happen today also

yes i had this happen today also. i bought a stand a few weeks ago and i guess i did not start it till today. i did not think much of it but my buddy was tweekin on it. just thought it was funny to see a post on this.

·
Registered
295 Posts
What everyone else said. If you can easily stop the wheel then it's not cause for concern, just the oil between the plates turning the easily rotated drive train. However, this is one reason I always put the transmission in neutral AND pull in the clutch when starting. Might as well make things as easy as possible on the starter.
Also do that every time I start the bike or even the car, warmed up or not.

regarding the free spin it happens in motorbikes since I remember, and that is many years ago. Happens in some car too, nothing to worry about for sure.!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Indeed both of my bikes - a '69 Honda and '08 Versys do this too.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
It's turning by oil drag. There's very little resistance on the rear wheel, and the oil's viscosity makes the layshaft turn... Even more in gear with clutch lever pulled in, from oil drag between clutch plates.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Thats normal for any street or dirt bike I have seen.
As it warms up, and the oil thins a little, it spins less.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I was wondering about this phenomenon on my Versys, guess I learned something new today! My shaft-drive 1983 Suzuki GS650G doesn't spin its rear wheel when it's up on its stand, either in neutral or in gear with the clutch lever pulled in.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts