Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Check this out. http://www.ohgizmo.com/2010/05/11/reevu-helmets-feature-a-rearview-mirror-in-the-visor/

There are no electronics involved, only a series of polycarbonate mirrors that send your rear view image up to your front view, without having to owl your head around, or rely on less than ample side mirrors.

If I run into some money, I may get one. The mirrors on my Versys do not give me much of a rear view. I don't know if it's because I have broad shoulders, or what, but my KLR had a MUCH better rear view than does my Versys. That's probably my biggest (if not only) gripe about the Versys.

·
Registered
720 Posts
Mirror extenders are a whole lot cheaper!

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
I think I'd be so distracted I'd likely crash and burn on the first day. From the screenshot it looks to block a fair amount of the forward view to me. BUT they are trying.

BUT remember the line in the movie When the Italian driver rips the rear view mirror of the car a tossed over his shoulder?

"1st'a rule of'a Italian driving, Whats'a behind you, Shes'a no important"

·
Registered
197 Posts
Part of me thinks it's awesome and wants one. The other part of me says I'd be distracted and probably less safe. I'll stick to checking over my shoulder.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Rear-view camera

Now I'm wondering if I should try mounting my iphone 5 such that I could use it as a rear-view camera? The phone needs to save me from purchasing other devices/services in order to justify the high cost of the phone. So far its doing this cost justification pretty good.

·
Registered
123 Posts
I have tried one on at a motorbike show. The mirror is surprisingly small and you have to look up at it as it is not in your line of site.

I have read reviews, and can well believe it is the case that you have to use the helmet for a while to get used to using the mirror and being able to look up glance in it and see what is there.

Once you are used to it it works really well. The helmet itself is very comfortable.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I tried one of these on in a local store. It's cool but IMO not really a great value. The rear view feature really does work but you have to look way, way up in a tiny mirror to see anything. Also the quality of the fit seems low for the helmet's mid price point. It kinda feels like a $100 helmet even though it costs $300. Perhaps this has to do with the extra cost of manufacturing the rear view feature. My experience has been the after market Aprilia Tuono mirrors work better and cost less. They eliminate the need for mirror extenders and only cost ~$45 for a set of two vs big bucks for this helmet.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts