Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Noticed my crappy original Dunlop rear tire was a little deflated last couple days. I was losing 3 to 5 psi per day due to a tiny pinhole I found using the water-soap method. Found out Dunlop offers tire replacement if thread has not reached 50% wear but I'm thinking about dumping them for good. It seems the pinhole was caused by tire defect instead of any sort of piercing because it looks more like a tiny little crack rather than a hole. Those Dunlop sucks anyway. Any thoughts? Should I insist on Dunlops?

·
Registered
972 Posts
The Dunlop Road Smart III that I put on the back of mine (at a bit over 4K) seems to be wearing nicely (I've got about 6K on it now with very little sign of wear). The front is still the OEM (2015 with 10K+) but will be replaced this fall.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I wouldn't put the same model tire on the bike! If they'll give credit towards something else then it may be worth pursuing.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Noticed my crappy original Dunlop rear tire was a little deflated last couple days. I was losing 3 to 5 psi per day due to a tiny pinhole I found using the water-soap method. Found out Dunlop offers tire replacement if thread has not reached 50% wear but I'm thinking about dumping them for good. It seems the pinhole was caused by tire defect instead of any sort of piercing because it looks more like a tiny little crack rather than a hole. Those Dunlop sucks anyway. Any thoughts? Should I insist on Dunlops?
get it replaced for free then replace it with a better tire and sell the free dumbloop to someone in need

Reactions: Fly-Sig

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Nothing wrong with Dunlop 3s. Pinhole is most likely from nail. I had this issue recently. Mark hole with white grease pen or some other way before removing tire. Patch from inside after roughing up inside rubber. Very important - use lots of glue to seal edges of inside patch and allow several hours cure time before reinstalling tire. Good as new. You will not be able to find hole unless you carefully mark it before removing tire. Just get a new tire if it is almost worn out or over 5 years from manufacture date on sidewall.

Current "best" sport tour tire is probably Michelin Pilot Road 5 although Metzeller Roadtec 1 are excellent too. Dunlop Roadsmart 3 seems to get satisfactory ratings and is probably not a bad tire at discount.

The difference between premium sport tour tires is probably not noticeable to mere mortals without test equipment and a flooded test track.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts