Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I Installed a 44t Superlite sprocket on my 09 Versys. It was a fairly easy job. Taking my time it took about an hour and a half. Before changing the sprocket there was just under a 5 mph difference between the speedometer and a GPS. After the change the difference was just over 1 mph. There are a few tools needed for this job. I used a 1 1/16” socket for the axle nut. The axle bolt takes a 22mm socket. A metric allen bit socket set makes the job easier. A torque wrench is also needed.

On the stand ready to begin.

Remove the brake caliper.

Remove the chain cover.

Remove the cotter pin, axle nut and washer. Remove the axle from the right side.

Lift the chain from the sprocket and remove the wheel.

I laid the wheel across a couple of 2x4s. Remove the old sprocket.

Install your new sprocket and torque sprocket nuts to 44 ft-lb.

Apply high temp grease to the seal lips and fit the spacers. I used wheel bearing grease.

Set the wheel back into position. Make sure the brake caliper bracket is in position on the right side of the swingarm. Place the chain over the sprocket then insert the axle from the right side. Install axle nut and snug just enough to hold the wheel in place. Adjust chain then torque axle nut to 80 ft-lb. Tighten as needed to align holes for the cotter pin. Install the chain cover.

Install brake caliper. Tighten bolts to 18 ft-lb.

Done! Ready to ride.

Think I about have it covered. Please ask if you have any questions or suggestions.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Very nice write up and pics. Going to be changing my rear sprocket soon.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Me too, just waiting for the poastie to bring my Superspox sprocket and a paddock stand. Hopefully, they'll arrive at the same time.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Sprocket and Carrier

Now this is the way to go! Why not be versatile. Get the no hassle sprocket change. All you do is pull your rear wheel and pull the sprocket and all out plop in the spare carrier, presto 44 tooth at your service. I have no need for this any more but you can have it for $80 plus shipping.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
Think I about have it covered. Please ask if you have any questions or suggestions.
Do you have a part number for the sprocket and a supplier? Is there a certain size or bolt pattern that I should look for to fit the Versys?

Thanks for the good write up.

This change should make the bike a little more mellow and purr at higher speeds correct?

·
Registered
51 Posts
A 44 tooth sprocket will drop top speed but make the bike more wheele prone.
It will make the speedo read the same as a GPS.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
A 44 tooth sprocket will drop top speed but make the bike more wheele prone.
It will make the speedo read the same as a GPS.
According to the OEM parts lookup on Bikebandit, the stock sprocket is 46 tooth. A 44 tooth should mellow the ride out.. (Less prone to wheelie and lower RPM at highway speed) compared to stock. I would think a higher tooth not lower tooth rear would be easier to wheelie???

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Nice write up.

One question...why did you take the chain guard and brake caliper off?
Good write up, when I first put my 44 on I did it that way but found out you do not need to remove chain guard or brake caliper to remove wheel, when I took my wheel off a 2nd time just loosen off tension and rolled chain over sprocket.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Do you have a part number for the sprocket and a supplier? Is there a certain size or bolt pattern that I should look for to fit the Versys?

Thanks for the good write up.

This change should make the bike a little more mellow and purr at higher speeds correct?
Your Welcome. I hope this helps those that are considering a sprocket change.

I ordered the sprocket from Drive Systems USA. It's a Superlite steel sprocket, PN 16606L-44. Here is a link:
http://www.drivesystemsusa.com/p/1005201/superlite-520-black-steel-rear-sprocket---kawasaki.html

The bike is still plenty quick but less busy at highway speeds. I'm not looking for a 7th gear as much as I was. This was a very worthwhile modification.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nice write up.

One question...why did you take the chain guard and brake caliper off?
To be honest I took them off because the manual said so. They were very easy to remove and re-install so it was worth it to get them out of the way.

·
Registered
4,762 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Finally got my new sprocket from Supersprox this morning and quickly had it fitted. No need to remove the chain guard and job done in about fifteen minutes. Unsurprisingly, the axle didn't have one smidgeon of grease on it. Why does it seem that no factory sees fit to grease the axles ? I'll have to do the front axle now.

Anyway, I think on looks alone it has been a worthwhile spend. :D

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Nice write up with good pics. I had mine 44T changed yesterday but took the easy route....let the mechanic do it for me, and he must have read your procedures as he did the same thing j/k :)

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Nice write up with good pics. I had mine 44T changed yesterday but took the easy route....let the mechanic do it for me, and he must have read your procedures as he did the same thing j/k :)
I like my 44T but if you want to practice wheelies you are better with stock gearing leslie, haha

1 - 20 of 132 Posts