Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read all the posts explaining the ins and outs of suspension settings... none I can find explain how to turn the rear spring adjustment ring.

Yes I know about the spanner wrench that is in the tool bag, but when I attempt to turn this ring it doesn't budge! I'm attempting to make this setting more stiff so I am pressing down on the ring with the wrench but it doesn't move.

Any advice?

Thank you.

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
I keep a piece of tubing smashed to fit the wrench handy in my garage.
The extra leverage makes it easier to turn & control

·
Registered
54 Posts
I've been meaning to do this too. After reading your post, I ran out to the garage and used the wrench to move it two clicks stiffer. It moved fine for me....granted I used a glove after the first attempt but it did move without too much problem. Watch your knuckles and give it hell!!

·
Registered
202 Posts
I've read all the posts explaining the ins and outs of suspension settings... none I can find explain how to turn the rear spring adjustment ring.

Yes I know about the spanner wrench that is in the tool bag, but when I attempt to turn this ring it doesn't budge! I'm attempting to make this setting more stiff so I am pressing down on the ring with the wrench but it doesn't move.

Any advice? Thank you.
Check out post #8 of this link concerning the adjusting tool in the tool kit. http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=20023 :topsecret:Getting the adjusting tool to fit the shock body better and having more leverage will make it a snap.

·
Registered
12 Posts
shock adjust spaner

After discovering that the spanner in my tool kit would not work I got out the same tool I use to remove the oil filter. A 12 inch channel lock. It works really well.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
You can slip the tool bag's flat hollow handle on it for more leverage, while holding the spanner secured on the adjuster ring with your other hand. I have no problem with it. Some lube will help, as mentioned. It's easier if the suspension is fully extended up while leaning on the sidestand.

·
Registered
104 Posts
I took an old floor jack handle, and cut a slit in the rubber of the grip.
Slipped the wrench in that, the rubber holds the wrench tight, and the
long handle gives you plenty of leverage.

·
Premium Member
7,808 Posts
Every one has some kind of problem with that little tool. not sure what the JAP's at Kawa were thinking when the made the tool. :confused:

Me , just use the JAP tool with a little level...works fine..:D

:D:cheers:

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Every one has some kind of problem with that little tool. not sure what the JAP's at Kawa were thinking when the made the tool. :confused:

Me , just use the JAP tool with a little level...works fine..:D

:D:cheers:
You mean with a little more leverage (extention pipe)?

You can slip the tool bag's flat hollow handle on it for more leverage, while holding the spanner secured on the adjuster ring with your other hand. I have no problem with it.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I don't remember if the tool on the V is the same as the one on the 250R Ninja but I use this way to adjust the Ninja's preload. Sprayed some WD40, let soak and then attempt to adjust. Worked out ok.

·
Registered
688 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
As soon as I put my V up on her brand new rear stand I was able to adjust the shock without trouble. :)

·
Registered
261 Posts
Another small problem is the supplied wrench says 37.5 and I think the shock is actually a 35mm. So the wrench is a little too big and that is why we have to grind a notch to keep it from slipping off and scratching the paint or less important smashing my knuckles.

Just as a note, I get a difference of 10mm sag per click on the shock collar give or take a little.

David

1 - 15 of 15 Posts