Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are the rear shocks interchangeable between the Versys, Ninja 650R, and ER6-n? And how would you support the rear of the bike when swapping the shock? I've done it more than once on bikes with center stands, but I'm trying to decide how to do it on the V? TIA

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've used ratchet type tie-down straps on the sub-frame, suspended from the joists / rafters in the garage when disassembling the swingarm on my DR-Z. Should also work fine for the V if that is an option for you. Ratchet type tie-downs work well. Just screw in some hooks or threaded eye bolts into the ceiling and make sure they're solid. Then you can gradually crank the back end up off the ground.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
If by interchangeable you mean - will it fit? The answer is yes, it will fit, but... The Ninja/ER6 shock is shorter and has a shorter stroke (i.e. shorter travel), so you'll end up with a lower rear end if you use a Ninja shock. For some people that is a desirable result. BTW, the Ninja/ER6 unit is an even cheaper shock and not as good as the Versys', in case you are wondering if that'll be an improvement.

Here is an example of how to replace the shock:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showpost.php?p=68565&postcount=99

Gustavo

·
Registered
93 Posts
Can the bike be jacked from beneath (as with a hydraulic MC lift) and not damage the muffler ?

Someone HAS to have tried it.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Can the bike be jacked from beneath (as with a hydraulic MC lift) and not damage the muffler ?

Someone HAS to have tried it.

If you search the forum, you'll find a lot of people do that. The only concern may be that some of those same people also reported later a failure of the connection between the header and the muffler. I haven't looked into it enough to determine if there is a true correlation, but something you may want to look into before you make this a regular method to lift the bike.

Gustavo

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts