Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a new-to-me 2008 Versys I got second hand. I'm 255lbs and I'm considerably bigger than the man I bought it from.

So I figured I should consider adjusting my preload. The owners manual and the service manual seem a bit vague to me. I'm new to all this as well.

Judging from the indentations, I know it's not in the stock #5 position as per the manual. But I can't convince myself if it's in the #2 or the #6 spot.

Where it's at now feels super soft, I've also been experiencing some loss of traction in slow speed turns (around 10-20 mph) and off the line from a stop, both good dry pavement and off the line . Replaced my tires too and still having the same effect. So I need to do something about it. Feel free to enlighten me!

·
Registered
237 Posts
The lowest position would be 1. As you go higher up, you are compressing that spring resulting in a stiffer ride. If you go too high, it will jump back to the number 1 mark which would be the softest position. But at your weight, my guess it you would sit on the bike and have the shock compress, but not return to the original height of the ride.

Technically, the way I've dialed in the shocks on previous rides is to set them at a position and then sit on the ride. You want the shock to compress, but then return to the original position. This will give you the most travel at your given weight. If it doesn't compress at all when you sit on it or slightly bounce then it is too stiff. And so on.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Maybe I am missing something but to me....the owners manual shows that as the collar height gets taller or closer to the front of the bike you are moving towards position 1 (weaker) and as it gets shorter you are moving towards position 7 (stronger)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

Attachments

·
Registered
237 Posts
Just pulled out the manual and I still read it the same. The highest position up is 7 and the strongest. He is at position 2 only 1 up from the bottom. At least that's what I'm seeing in his picture.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Wow. Your manual is different from mine. I have a 2013. And mine is labeled opposite from yours I believe. As featured on page 137 of mine they show position 7 at the top.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Yours is labeled completely opposite of mine and appears to be a misprint, unless the shock is different. In any case, as you add pressure to a spring by compressing it (moving upwards in a collar) it will stiffen the ride. You can tell. Place it on 1 and sit on it. Then place it at the highest position on the collar and sit on it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I adjusted it to what I think is the #5 position before I left for work. Certainly was stiffer and I believe that it was previously in the #2 spot. I'm somewhat relieved that there are others of us who found the manuals representation to be a tad bit confusing too.

·
Registered
237 Posts
You'll definitely know the difference. It's weird how his manual has the numbers going from a bottom of 7 up to a top of 1 when mine clearly has them labeled the other way.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I used the owners manual on this forum for the first gen model. They must have changed it???? Not sure why... Here is the link

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/versys-owners-manual.pdf
I already viewed yours and sure enough it is just like what you posted. Seems like a misprint to me. Unless the collar on your shock is opposite to ours. But I can't really tell from the picture. If you are going up "stairs" in the collar then you will be adding pressure to that spring. The lowest/softest setting for a shock on any bike I've owned has been at the bottom of the collar, and there will be a bottom bar there. The highest or stiffest position has always been the spot right before you jump all the way back to the one spot.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Maybe the powers that be on forum want to change the link to the newer manual. Bottom line is the numbers don't really matter just moving it to a stiffer or weaker setting should be obvious

·
Registered
237 Posts
Maybe I am missing something but to me....the owners manual shows that as the collar height gets taller or closer to the front of the bike you are moving towards position 1 (weaker) and as it gets shorter you are moving towards position 7 (stronger)

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App
I do believe this is a misprint. I pulled up the 2008, 2009, etc. and they all show the numbers opposite of the 2008 printed manual (As the picture you posted above) according to the kawasaki website. It can be seen here: http://www.kawasaki-techinfo.net/showOM.php?view_lang=EN&spec=US&book_no=99987-1485&lang_code=EN

Just go to the left of the page that opens and select maintenance and adjustment. It can then be viewed on page 138.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts