Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
I'll be changing out my rear tire in the next few weeks, so I'll just wait till the wheel is off to give me more working room to extract this rivet/bolt/whatever. Thanks for all the input!

·
Registered
601 Posts
For those DIY inclined,I found this video on youtube by a Versys guy in Ireland a few years ago.....
. Clever guy,attached his hugger using one existing bolt. I adapted my own hybrid concept from his design. Used the old plastic fender off my now scrapped"83 Interceptor and used his one bolt connection method. The aluminium plate section attaches via the rear shock mounting bolt . I modified it to attach to my plastic hugger. I had to make one more side bracket as its plastic and needed extra trussing. To really stop the mud though,you need more coverage around the circumference of the wheel,look at a bicycle fender. If you make your own,you can carry around the wheel more.I didn't go that far around, that would require more trussing. I love this guys simple connection using one existing single bolt ( Okie engineering worthy?) My hybrid of his design added a couple of fender bolts to attach my plastic fender to his harness and another side bracket.

Attachments

·
Registered
307 Posts
Well, i purchase a Chinese hugger and discovered that if you have lowered your bike, the hugger is not going to fit. The lowering adapter blocks access to the important tab that connects to the forward portion of the swing arm. My solution was to remove the tab, cut out an area and drill a hole in the hugger. I also had to drill and tap a M6 - 1.0 hole in that lowering apparatus. I finally drilled a small piece of aluminum angle and to serve as a bracket. The biggest problem is getting access to drill the lowering adapter. If you remove the rear foot peg bracket you can get an angled drill in place.
The end result works well and is very secure. It is not a simple solution, but it can be done.

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2843&pictureid=27725

https://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/album.php?albumid=2843&pictureid=27727

·
Registered
154 Posts
It is not a simple solution, but it can be done.
Too bad it won't do you much good, as I have recently found out. >:)
But if you don't plan on riding in the rain, then I suppose it can serve some purpose as long as it's not too wet outside.
Riding through rain puddles or on wet pavement will pretty much give the same result as without the hugger, only marginally better.
By that I mean spray and mud won't get as far back to the engine as it otherwise would but that's about it. Everything else will still be pretty dirty.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Too bad it won't do you much good, as I have recently found out. >:)
But if you don't plan on riding in the rain, then I suppose it can serve some purpose as long as it's not too wet outside.
Riding through rain puddles or on wet pavement will pretty much give the same result as without the hugger, only marginally better.
By that I mean spray and mud won't get as far back to the engine as it otherwise would but that's about it. Everything else will still be pretty dirty.
I got mine mainly to match the look of my V1K. The 650 seems naked back there without a hugger.

·
Registered
154 Posts
I got mine mainly to match the look of my V1K. The 650 seems naked back there without a hugger.
For that purpose it will do just fine. But like I said, don't expect too much in terms of protection from spray and mud.
Someone on this forum made a DIY rubber mud flap, riveted it to the underbelly and it's a much more efficient solution for this particular problem.

·
Super Moderator
19,433 Posts
...Someone on this forum made a DIY rubber mud flap, riveted it to the underbelly and it's a much more efficient solution for this particular problem.
THAT be ME! I actually used a piece of conveyor-belt, two pieces of SS and two 'pop-rivets'.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I did a post earlier in the year “China Hugger” sticky post. There was a lot of comment that most huggers don’t do a lot to keep things clean. I would agree with that as wet roads still seem to get things pretty dirty back there, bigger particles and pebbles get stopped but that is about it.

I am still very happy with it as a cosmetic upgrade, just makes things look more finished back there to me and $50 was reasonable.

JoH

·
Super Moderator
19,433 Posts
I really like fasteddie's solution, I'll probably go that route too. (Unless I try this variation):surprise:
If you do that [using a tire] - you can accent your 'inner-Harley-rider' by using a whitewall....;)

·
Registered
10 Posts
I used epdm rubber (pond liner, shower base liner) held to the bottom of the china hugger with 1" wide .080" aluminum formed to fit and 1"wide .080" alum at the horizontal section of the oem fender. 3 machine screws at the hugger & 2 sheet metal screws at the oem fender. Epdm is 8" wide and I think I made it 10" long - have to allow for suspension travel. My suspension is lowered. no photo.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I’ve also got the “Chinese hugger”. Fits well and works well.

My problem was that bloody plastic screw/rivet on the swing arm. Never could get it out, apart from the top piece that just disintegrated.

I ended up using zip ties to secure that side of the hugger, attaching it the rear shock bottom bracket and a hose clip. So far so good, though not ideal.

Dave

21 - 33 of 33 Posts