Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone modified their rear fender yet? I’ve been looking at fender eliminator options and wondered what products or methods others are using. I would like to find something state side if possible.

Attachments

·
Registered
5 Posts
I created my own tailtidy.
If you're the handyman type it's not to hard a job.
Here's a pic of the job in progress. I have more on the versys.co.uk site in my picture folder. I also have the drawing of the Ali tailtidy if you want.

Cheers

Silverfish

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Home Made

Just finished my version of a fender eliminator. I will probably still purchase an undertail at some point in the future, but this will do for now.

The process involved a hacksaw, drill, Dremel (rotary tool), Philips screwdriver, 8mm and 10mm sockets, a front license plate bracket from a 70 VW Bus, the original license plate bracket, and some screws, washers, and rubber wire grommets from Lowes (hardware store).

1. I removed the license plate, license plate bracket, and turn signals.

2. I cut off the bulk of the rear fender behind the license plate light extension (hacksaw).

3. I removed excess fender material (Dremel), which allowed easer access for precision cutting.

4. Using the Dremel I cut the remaining fender material from just below the turn signal mounting points, following the existing curve in the remaining fender material.

5. I made a cut across the remaining fender material (just under the tail light), tying the previous cuts together. (If I was able to do this over, I would leave slightly more fender material in this area for support.)

6. I fashioned a mounting bracket from a 70 VW Bus front license plate bracket. I bent it in a U shape, leaving 5” across the middle. This allows the bracket to fit between the turn signal mounting points.

7. I drilled new holes and attached the original Versys license bracket to the new bracket (inverted). I also drilled two holes in the sides of the new bracket for the turn signal wires.

8. Next, I reinstalled the turn signals into the original mounting positions. Then, I ran the turn signal wires through the new bracket; placed the bracket between the turn signals, and butting the center section against the inner fender, secured it to the turn signals using longer screws (hex head) with large (relatively speaking) flat washer and lock washer. I also used some silicon between the points where the bracket and inner fender meet for extra stability and vibration control.

9. I am using a small LED to illuminate my license plate, purchased from a local cycle shop.

That’s about it.

Attachments

·
Registered
624 Posts
Has anyone modified their rear fender yet? I’ve been looking at fender eliminator options and wondered what products or methods others are using. I would like to find something state side if possible.
So who makes the one in your thumbnail?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Do you get a skunk stripe when riding in the rain?
Have to ask, last time I put gas in the truck was March, the bike is my daily.

Dan

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Tail kit

I can't remember which kit is which - I did a lot of looking at that time. I made my own version, and that worked okay. But I eventually purchased a Tail Tidy. It worked great and I was able to get it state side from the guys listed below. It's kind of funny - it was the only thing I salvaged after crashing my bike a couple months ago.

Online Sales - Ducati Omaha
(866) 214-6627
(402) 408-4400

·
Registered
109 Posts
Thanks, I suspected as much. Looks cool but it's about function to me right now. Maybe in a few years when I get my next bike, after that the V joins my 79 KZ in the toy category.

Dan

1 - 20 of 30 Posts