Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, so I was just out doing some low speed parking lot practice (want to get into moto gymkhana), I did some warm up figure 8's in the lot, and then stopped to set up a circle to practice with. When I got back on the bike, I had zero rear brakes; lever could be pushed to full extension with no resistance except for the spring. I couldn't see any fluid anywhere, and everything from lever to brake was dry. I rode around the lot for a bit and got some pressure back, but after trying a little more practice it was gone again. Riding home the pressure came back, and seemed fine again once I got home. Fluid reservoir is full, bike is an 09 with about 30000 km, and fluid has never been changed by me (3rd owner). This kind of riding means constant pressure on the rear brakes, so it is obviously hard on them, but...
Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
A couple of thoughts.

You don't mention how old your bike is. Brake fluid accumulates moisture (hydroscopic). The moisture in the brake fluid will boil, cause steam and your brakes go away. When the steam cools the brakes come back.

The solution to this problem is to change brake fluid.

New brake fluid is clear. Brake fluid full of moisture is dark. You should change brake fluid at least once a year.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
A couple of thoughts.

You don't mention how old your bike is. Brake fluid accumulates moisture (hydroscopic). The moisture in the brake fluid will boil, cause steam and your brakes go away. When the steam cools the brakes come back.

The solution to this problem is to change brake fluid.

New brake fluid is clear. Brake fluid full of moisture is dark. You should change brake fluid at least once a year.
Thanks much, bike is an 09 with 30000 km. That makes total sense, as I was riding the rear brake constantly for about 15 minutes before the fail, and riding home would have cooled it off. Will change the fluid tomorrow.

·
Registered
601 Posts
Maybe the brakes were overheated? You said you were on them for about 15 minutes straight. Wouldn't surprise me if they were hot if you're practicing gymkhana stuff.

Changing, or at the least checking, the brake fluid still wouldn't be a bad idea...

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Yes it would overheat and fade. You could also try bleeding it for now, then consider upgrading your brake pads.

·
Registered
943 Posts
While you're at it, run the pucks out and clean all the way around them with brake cleaner and a stiff brush.

This is a common problem on some cruiser bikes where crud builds up behind the brake pads. Maybe also on the Versys - I don't know for sure. Still, wouldn't hurt to clean while it's apart.

·
Premium Member
9,209 Posts
my son has a vacuum bleed kit, I was surprised what came out of the right caliper, I have a 07, bought in 08.The vacuum kit makes nice work, still a two person job if you want to speed it up without mistakes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts