Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have about 42k on the clock and have replaced an estimated 10 tires on this axle myself. I now work out of town and carry my wheels home for changing. I only took home the wheel, I removed the hub for transportation. Well, I noticed this when returning from a weekend and trying to mount the new rear. It seems the collar for the chain side does not fit down into the hub seal asy like the brake side does. I realize the seal is torn, dont need that advice. I looked on the part blowup on a parts site, but that did not answer my question.

I do not remember having to hold this collar in place while replacing the rear axle, something must be missing. Maybe I am just stressed. Anyone have a pic of this assembly?

The collar does not seat at all. It rides on the bearing surface. I would rather know for sure I am missing something or not. Thanks for any feedback.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks to cb4017 and hdatontodo I think I have an answer.

See the flush seal on the pic above? Looks like I split the seal when I remove the hub last. Or perhaps someone can correct me before I order another 92049A.

·
Registered
687 Posts
That collar should fit inside the dust seal and stand about a 1/4" proud of the seal. It's not really held in place by anything except a little friction with the seal. It's one of the challenges for me of getting the back wheel mounted singlehandedly, trying to keep those collars from falling out while inserting the axle. A dab of grease helps.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
I always grease the axle with a high temp grease after wiping down before replacing the axl. You should see the other sides build up. Its still red like like from the can.

The collar does not seat at all as in the picture.

You mentioned a dust cover, is that part of the seal, or separate. The parts blow up only shows one seal, part 92049A.

Edit: Upon further inspection, it seems the dust cover is part of the seal and has worn away.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That collar should fit inside the dust seal and stand about a 1/4" proud of the seal. It's not really held in place by anything except a little friction with the seal. It's one of the challenges for me of getting the back wheel mounted singlehandedly, trying to keep those collars from falling out while inserting the axle. A dab of grease helps.
I found a brick is about the right height to set the wheel on while the brake is slipped over the rotor. then the wheel only has to rise a slight bit before the axle goes through all with the collars already in place.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
I found a brick is about the right height to set the wheel on while the brake is slipped over the rotor. then the wheel only has to rise a slight bit before the axle goes through all with the collars already in place.
I do they same with a bit of wood i have for that job, i put it under wheel when i remove the axle as well.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
This cannot be right. The sleeve and bearing must have been pushed out while in the tire changer...EDIT: this cannot be right as the hub was not in the wheel during the tire change.

this collar should not sit flush like this. The sleeve should be flush with the bottom part of the seal, allowing the collar to seat into the seal. I never seen this before after a tire change. Not sure how it happened. I think I am just going to replace the seal and bearing. You can see how far the collar was seating before if looking at the collar. The clean part. Anyone else sen this before?

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I dunno what happened with the fitment issue in the rear swingarm, but the new seal, and bearing worked out. Sorry no pics. The seal, snap ring, and bearing came out with some small pliers, ring pliers, and a soft hammer supporting the blow with a couple wood blocks. I used a socket for driving out the bearing with the hammer.

Pressed the bearing in with a vise, and the ring with ring pliers, and pushed in the seal by hand first, then leveled with the soft hammer gently. It fit back into the swing-arm just fine. I did note that the collar on that side slipped into the seal and held.

I also made sure to clean and grease up surfaces prior to installing. And the bearing was chilled in the freezer for a few hours while the hub was heated up prior to installation.

Gimme a week or so, I will get up some post mortem pics of the parts. Now the clutch...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts