Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have noticed what can only be described as a very obnoxious rattle at idle and around 4k RPMs when I first start my bike. The rattle at idle disappears once the bike is warmed up, but continues from around 4k-5k RPM. I was able to track it down over the weekend to where the exhaust pipe meets the muffler body. It looks like there is a weld there, but I can push on the exhaust pipe and see it move up and down. When I push up on the muffler body during idle, the rattle goes away. I imagine that once the bike warms up, the pipes expand, which prevents the rattle at idle. However, the normal vibes in the bike from 4k-5k RPM must be keeping the rattle around then. Here's a youtube clip of the noise (somewhat hard to hear since it's from my phone, but it's very noticeable in person):

http://youtu.be/vzVyLZ5N2B0

So I have a couple questions:

- Is the muffler body supposed to be welded to the exhaust pipe? Based on the info in the service manual, it doesn't seem like it.

- Anybody else have this issue? Thoughts on potential fixes?

Any advice would be extremely helpful!

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
Tighten the clamp up.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tighten the clamp up.
I will definitely try that, but I'm pretty sure it's coming from that weld where the exhaust pipe meets the muffler body (an inch or two closer to the muffler body than where the clamp is). That weld doesn't seem to be intact so the piece of pipe to the left of the clamp (if you're looking at it from the right side of the bike) is not attached to the muffler body and has a mm or two to wiggle around. Is that normal?

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
I will definitely try that, but I'm pretty sure it's coming from that weld where the exhaust pipe meets the muffler body (an inch or two closer to the muffler body than where the clamp is). That weld doesn't seem to be intact so the piece of pipe to the left of the clamp (if you're looking at it from the right side of the bike) is not attached to the muffler body and has a mm or two to wiggle around. Is that normal?
Could you post some photos?

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
The weld there may well be broken, as it did happen to others before. You can remove muffler and have it welded back up... I still have an unused 2007 muffler available, by the way.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Could you post some photos?
Here's the part that isn't connected (excuse the dirty cans). If I push on the part of the pipe between the clamp and the exhaust, I can see the pipe move up and down where the arrow is pointing. Is that weld supposed to be holding the pipe in place?

·
Registered
129 Posts
rather than a welder, an exhaust/muffler repair shop might charge you less money to run a good weld around that location.

and I say "might"

i dont think I have ever hit a welder/machine shop that did not want a fifty to do much of anything.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you for all of the suggestions--this forum is incredibly helpful! I'll check out some local shops for the best price and hopefully can find somewhere that does quality work at a low price.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well I had the day off today and decided to pull off the muffler and take it to a welder. The guy charged me $10 to do the weld and now my V sounds like it did the day i got it. The horrible noise is gone, but I forgot how quiet the stock can is! Might have to think about getting a slip on at some point...

Thank you all for your help!!!

·
Registered
642 Posts
Yes this forum is a font of knowledge, but I have to admit that I get on my bike for a ride and I start thinking... Is today the day for my stator to die? How about for my clutch cable to snap? Now I am going to be thinking about broken welds...

I need to tell myself to shut up and pay attention to the ride.:goodidea:

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
Yes this forum is a font of knowledge, but I have to admit that I get on my bike for a ride and I start thinking... Is today the day for my stator to die? How about for my clutch cable to snap? Now I am going to be thinking about broken welds...

I need to tell myself to shut up and pay attention to the ride.:goodidea:
I have a spare clutch-cable under the seats on my Vs....

:goodidea:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I have a spare clutch-cable under the seats on my Vs....

:goodidea:
Ditto! As for the weld, I rode with it broken for a while and aside from worse gas mileage (roughly 35-40mpg) and probably poorer emissions, the bike ran fine--just had a very annoying sound.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts