Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wants to thank those who invented and supported this mod, and encourage folks who are thinking about it to give it a try. On my 2012 650 V2, just a ¼" rise is a huge Improvement.

While the additional seat height is noticeable and unwelcome, the testicular comfort is greatly improved. (32in inseam, stock foot pegs, and I sit as far forward as possible much of the time.)

Furthermore, and something I haven't seen mentioned, is that the ride feels softer. I think maybe there's some spring in the seat, with the rider section now suspended above the middle supports on the seat pan. Anyone noticed this?

Was reluctant to do the mod, didn't want to defeat additional support near the tongue. But there have been zero reports of problems. Battery also seems firmly in place without (yet) adding any additional foam to the hold-down. And the visible gap from the side, not a problem..

If you've been thinking about it... Just try it!

Made mine from ⅛" x 1" aluminum bar stock, but I think quarter inch plywood would also work, as long as you add a shim underneath the center section to take the load. Wood would also help keep the plastic tongue from being cut into a little bit by a metal bracket. Might want threadlocker for the two bolts if using wood, since you can't torque it down.

I just used stacks of washers for the spacers. Make sure the bracket doesn't extend beyond the washers, or it will bite into the seat pan a bit. Need to fix this on mine.

I will try raising mine a bit more, most people seem to use more rise.

·
Registered
906 Posts
So, now your seat is a hammock, resting on the rear legs but only this front tongue.
it's supposed to rest on the transversal frame right next to the battery.
You'll be bending the vinyl support repeatedly.

I believe that is the reason a mere 1/4" feels like it is raise much more; you are sitting in a scooping saddle now...

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I would be concerned about breaking down the seat pan over time....
Seems like folks have been doing this well-known mod for a decade now, usually more than a quarter of an inch...no known complaints. I was reluctant. But wow, what an improvement. Recommend trying, then report back. ;)

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
Seems like folks have been doing this well-known mod for a decade now, usually more than a quarter of an inch...no known complaints. I was reluctant. But wow, what an improvement. Recommend trying, then report back. ;)
I disliked the way the seat locked me in to one position so I had Terry build me a custom flat seat so I could move around. The forward slant never bothered me because I rode the Versys like a large Supermoto instead of a cruiser.

I sat on another guy's Versys with a Corbin seat and said, "now you need pull back handlebars and highway pegs to complete the cruiser transformation.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, Supermoto style for me too, as far forward as I can get. (I think bike has unfortunate rearward weight bias, though it's not a dealbreaker like it became with my Nighthawk 750.) Testiclularly challenging. ;(

At the moment, I'd agree with folks who've said that this is a mandatory mod. Wasn't terrible before; far better after. ;)

Getting rid of step in seat would be cool. Interferes with scooching back for wheelies. Thought about flattening out the hump, but so far it works pretty well for cargo.

·
Super Moderator
20,588 Posts
I would be concerned about breaking down the seat pan over time. You might want to glue some support under the middle bumpers.
As far as "...breaking down the seat pan over time....":
I did this modification to the seats on ALL THREE of my V650s (bought NEW) when I got them home from the dealer, as this Forum when I joined it in '08, had a large proportion of the 'inmates' saying that "raising the seat" was a MUST-DO mod. My weight is just under 180#, so PROBABLY 200# when I am ready-to-ride ATGATT, and mine are raised about 9/16".

seat rise2 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

The '08 has 95,626 MILES.
The '09 was an "insurance write-off" at 62,790 KMS (39,016 MILES).
And my '15 currently has 86,694 KMS (53,869 MILES), and NONE of those seats have 'broken-down'!

(y)(y)

:cool:

·
Registered
5,103 Posts
As far as "...breaking down the seat pan over time....":
I did this modification to the seats on ALL THREE of my V650s (bought NEW) when I got them home from the dealer, as this Forum when I joined it in '08, had a large proportion of the 'inmates' saying that "raising the seat" was a MUST-DO mod. My weight is just under 180#, so PROBABLY 200# when I am ready-to-ride ATGATT, and mine are raised about 9/16".

seat rise2 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

The '08 has 95,626 MILES.
The '09 was an "insurance write-off" at 62,790 KMS (39,016 MILES).
And my '15 currently has 86,694 KMS (53,869 MILES), and NONE of those seats have 'broken-down'!

(y)(y)

:cool:
So, does it just flex until it touches, or does it float around as you hit bumps?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For mine, raised only 1/4in as revealed by peeking under front of seat and looking at area near tongue; not sure if it's really floating... but it feels like it might be: Less jarring on rough roads, which is a major criterion for me. (My other bikes being dualsports.)

BTW, I ride up near the tank in twisties, but on the freeway, I scooch back and put my feet on the passenger pegs.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
I tried that fix but still ended up buying a Seat Concepts which I also modified to suit me. The stock seat was too much of a scoop design for my arse.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I tried that fix but still ended up buying a Seat Concepts which I also modified to suit me. The stock seat was too much of a scoop design for my arse.
Same here. I've had the front raised since a couple months after buying my bike in 2016. It does help for shorter trips. However the back of the seat still angles up quite a bit and on rides over 2 hours my tailbone gets really sore. I just ordered a Seat Concepts seat last week. I'm looking forward to getting it in 8-10 weeks. LOL

·
Super Moderator
20,588 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts