Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I got tired of waiting for the ProTek 48mm fork tube clamps i had in mind for mounting my Acerbis motocross front fender - so I made it work using 2 large hose clamps and a piece of aluminum flat stock about 7 inches long and 2.5" wide and 1/8" thick (it passes through the fender held by two small bolts and small slits i cut in the left and right side of the middle of the fender. Then i dremmeled 4 slits in the aluminum piece so that the hose clamp could pass through on each side and around the lower triple clamp - solid as a rock and looks great also i think :thumb: Will use the fork tube clamps when they arrive next week to mount driving lights :thumb: (better use)

The bike is also fully packed for a 4 day tour and camping trip in the California Sequoia National Forest. I am using a Giant Loop Great Basin bag that is completely water proof and hold 51liters of stuff - not to mention it sits down and rides great as far as weight distribution is concerned

Also got my owner manual canisters mounted off my passenger rails that will hold a 30oz MSR fuel bottle each (about 1/2 gallon total) being that gas stations will be rare in the area we are going (just in case)

Got GPS mounted, XM Radio (in the power socket) with the antenna just under the front of the windscreen. Yes, I have a green 520 O-ring chain on the bike (got carried away with personalizing it) lol but i do have the 44 tooth rear sprocket installed and really love the difference!

Got the lower SST fork guards from camaroz1985 and made a bracket out of flat steel stock since the holes do not line up to make those work and painted them black (they were white) :)

The only chore left to do is decide where to mount my Contour HD video cam for the trip...

Here are more detailed photos of the job so you can get a better idea of how i did this and the fender used was an Acerbis Universal Supermoto Front Fender which worked out excellent since the back portion of the fender that sits up next to the lower triple clamp is actually shaped like the V at the back of the lower triple clamp!!! The rear of the fender has slats for added ventilation to the radiator and clears the radiator by 1/2"

http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/456/15023/ITEM/Acerbis-Universal-Supermoto-Front-Fender.aspx?wt.ac=SLI_SERP

This is a view from underneath the fender showing the aluminum flat stock and how it is bolted to the fender and how it sticks through the fender on the left and right sides

This view is facing the bike on the right side of the fender looking at how the hose clamp passes around the triple clamp and through the slits in the flat aluminum stock

This view is looking at the backside of the lower triple clamp and how the hose clamp comes around the top and through the slit in the flat aluminum stock on the backside of it

·
Registered
1,374 Posts
Very Cool! Your bike looks like its ready for the Zombie Apocolypse! I like the brake lines and chain. I just did a 5 day trip with a similar luggage set-up: 26L Givi top case and a 52L Gears tail bag on the pillion. Worked great.

What rack are you using for the top case and how do you have the owner manual tubes attached to the rack? I really like that, can you show/explain more?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is the tail rack for the Shad top case - and all i did was just drill 2 5/16" holes through the hand rails that matched up with the 1 rear hole on the canister and the middle front hole on the canister and used 5/16" bolt with ny-lock nut from Home Depot - very solid

In the last picture you can see the nut/bolt combo in silver through the hand rail and the flat top mounting bracket of the cannister

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
It is the XM Snap Radio and it is plugged into my 12V Marine Outlet mounted on my right side dash. The antenna line is coiled up under the wind shield mount and the antenna end is on the outside of the MadStadd flat cross bracket so it has clear view up to the sky - Then i run my ear plug line from it (there is a jack on the base of the Snap radio) to myself. The 5 presets and big knob and left and right buttons make easy use with gloves on - It can also tune and broadcast to unused FM stations so you can use it in your car as well! It travels with me in my FJ Cruiser and my Honda S2000 - I even got an power outlet to AC adapter so i can run it in my house and patch through the line-in on my stereo :)

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/XM+-+Snap+Satellite+Radio/1166993.p?id=1218229908169&skuId=1166993

·
Registered
623 Posts
Thanks versysbill. I want to put either my sirius radio or my phone on my bike but I'm not sure how Im going to attach it.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

·
Registered
267 Posts
Wow!
Congratulations. You made the new Kawasaki Versys Extreme (Adventure isn't enough).
:thumb: :clap:

·
Registered
46 Posts
Looks good! What tires are you running, have you put many miles on them? Looking to changeout so I can get down dirt roads a little easier.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Thanks Bill... :rolleyes:
Now I have yet another "must do project" for the bike... ;)
My wife hates you guys...

By the way, very nice. :thumb::cheers:

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
for 'settersonly' - The tires are the Pirelli MT60 R and i only have enough miles on them to wear out most of the 'chicken strips' but they feel GREAT compared to stock as many would suspect or tell you - I will know more about them with regards to fire roads - gravel etc after my 4 day tour/camping tirp this weekend on the bike

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
For 'eeore39648' - It may feel or look homemade (cant see the bits though unless you look up inside and close) but it holds as solid as anything could be since I have no equipment or skills to fabricate stuff like Speedy does :) Because I figured out another way to mount it, i can use my 48mm fork clamps to mount my driving lights now :)

·
Premium Member
16,197 Posts
:thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
169 Posts
I like it but I would be curious to find out how that fender works in the rain, gravel, or mud?
Not that the stock fender does much...

·
Registered
521 Posts
Looks great Bill! :clap:

Too bad they don't make black hose clamps; then your mounting system would be nearly invisible. I would be a little concerned with the front tire throwing back rocks and dirt/gunk on the radiator and headers/front of the engine. I've ridden mine (stock front fender, no fenda extenda) in water/muck a few times and the front of my engine and headers were covered in muck and I had a two inch wide strip of muck down the center of my radiator. I know you have a radiator guard mounted and I've got a feeling a skid plate/engine guard are probably in the works! :D

Have a safe and fun trip. There is some beautiful country up that way with great roads. Should be perfect weather too. Enjoy! :thumb:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts