Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone use Rain-X on their helmet face shield? I have read that it is for glass and approved plastics, but they don't say what plastics are approved. I have a buddy that works on a Grand Am team and he says they use Rain-X on the plastic windshield all the time. I have a Shoei RF1000 helmet.

·
Registered
312 Posts
From what I've heard, the only possible downside to Rain-X on faceshields is that over time they might yellow a bit. Personally I'm willing to put up with a little yellowing if I can have a clear shield in the rain. In the grand scheme of things, swapping out a $40 shield every year or so is not that big a deal.

Keep in mind, though, that I still haven't gotten around to actually using Rain-X on any of my shields. I had always heard it was a no-no, but since I heard the thing about yellowing, I just haven't gotten around to it. I even went and bought some, but I haven't had it with me when I've cleaned my shield, so I haven't applied it yet.

·
Registered
266 Posts
I use it on a regular basis and it works wonders to keep the rain of the shield. No yellowing so far, but then again, I change my shield after about 1 1/2 season.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have always used Lemon Pledge to clean plastics. It dissolves the bug stuff pretty good, is a great cleaner, and as a byproduct, sheds water real good. Try it.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Do it.

I also have the RF1000 and I have been using rain-x . Have been using it years. I use it inside also to prevent foging. It works great. It also helps keep the bugs from sticking. Put it on, buff it off, wait ten minutes and buff it again. Ride well.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks! I have used it on my car for years and it just seemed like a logical solution. You guys have been a great help as usual!!!

·
Registered
79 Posts
I used to have an HJC Helmet and when I emailed them a few years back regarding using Rain-X they sia dit woul dnot harm the shield so I used it. Now with my Shoei I have yet to use it more becuase since I have used Plexus on it I havent seemed to have a water shedding issue...

·
Registered
312 Posts
I also have the RF1000 and I have been using rain-x . Have been using it years. I use it inside also to prevent foging. It works great. It also helps keep the bugs from sticking. Put it on, buff it off, wait ten minutes and buff it again. Ride well.
Barefoot, are you using regular RainX on the inside for fogging or are you using the RainX antifog product? Obviously I'd like to use just one product.

Thanks,
Chris

·
Registered
429 Posts
I've got a good friend who is a fan of Rain X. We went for a ride a couple weeks ago and his lid's screen was yellow as piss. Like can't see out of it yellow. I've got no idea if it was because of RainX or not, but I'll be sure and ask him. :)

I hate that stuff on the front windshield of my cars. I tried it a couple times and I'll never go back. I do like it on the sides and rear windows. I could see how it would be cool on a motorcycle lid, but not if it yellows the screen.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have an old shield with a few scratches that I could test it on.

·
Registered
312 Posts
I just called my buddy and he can't remember (doesn't think he did) putting RainX on his visor.
It sounds like it must be something different then because from what I've heard, if RainX is going to yellow the shield, it's a very gradual thing that happens over time with repeated usage. That's why I think it's worth the risk because the worst case scenario basically puts you replacing the shield every so often (kind of like actar911 does).

I think the safety benefit of a clean shield outweighs the possibility of shortened shield life. Besides, in my experience a shield needs replacing from scratches and such at that point anyway.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I work for the company that invented Rain-X. We sold the trademark to Shell Oil Company but retained the patent rights until they expired. We still manufacture the original formula under the brand name Rain Clear by Glass Science.

Rain Clear is mostly made up of denatured alcohol and silicone. The possible issues with polycarbonate (Plastic) is the alcohol leaching the plasticizers out of the plastic which could cause yellowing or even cracking. But that was with older plastic products. The modern polycarbonates are very stable and take the Repellent coating very well.

What we tell our customers is to first ask the manufacturer of the screen or shield if our coating will affect the surface or warranty of their product. Second we suggest applying it to a small spot on the surface to test the application. If all looks good go ahead and apply it to the entire surface.

I use the stuff everywhere, on glass, porcelain, plastics, ceramic tile any hard non-porous surface. It is fantastic stuff and works very very well.

How I apply it is put some on a micro fiber towel and with small circular overlapping motion I cover the surface, wait for it to haze, sprinkle a little water on it and then buff out to a clear shine.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Well that's about all I need to convince me. That's about as "straight from the horse's mouth" as you're going to get.

Thanks for that thegrandwazoo.

·
Registered
26 Posts
You are very welcome. One thing though do not use it on the tinted side of glass or polycarbonate. Also, we don't recommend it on face shields that have a mirror/iridium coating. Just to be on the safe side.

:thumb:

·
Registered
469 Posts
Well that's about all I need to convince me. That's about as "straight from the horse's mouth" as you're going to get.

Thanks for that thegrandwazoo.
+1 on that!! Great info and Rain-X it is for me. This week I had to ride in very hard rains for a long way that never seemed to let up or show mercy. It gets very hard to see.

Also, I'm upgrading my rain gear. Extreme rains call for extreme gear.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I might give it a shot on my visor. Last time I got stuck in a down pour I could only see far enough to go 30mph max.

I hate that stuff on the front windshield of a car though, it works OK up to a point, but when it comes time to use the wipers they smear like mad compared to plain old clean glass and I think it reduces visibility rather than helps. It is nice for the side and rear glass, but it's been years since I've used it.

:)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts