Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week in Sydney we had some fairly heavy rain.

I decided to ride to work anyway and threaded my way through one massive traffic jam. Only problem was that my Dririder boots (haha, the irony of that brand name!) and gloves soaked up the water. After a 30 min ride they were totally saturated - you'd think I'd been for a swim!

Can anybody recommend boots and gloves that will stay dry inside even in heavy rain?

·
Registered
770 Posts
Last week in Sydney we had some fairly heavy rain.

I decided to ride to work anyway and threaded my way through one massive traffic jam. Only problem was that my Dririder boots (haha, the irony of that brand name!) and gloves soaked up the water. After a 30 min ride they were totally saturated - you'd think I'd been for a swim!

Can anybody recommend boots and gloves that will stay dry inside even in heavy rain?
Better quality leather will not bleed dye when it gets wet. It's not an issue for me if my hands get wet when it's hot out but when it rains and is cooler/cold I ride with Rev'It insulated water proof gloves that take me down to about 45F/8C.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I like TCX boots.

http://www.tcxboots.com/eng/prodotti-dettaglio.php?categoria=2

The brand name has changed, used to be Oxtar. Among others, they make boots that BMW sells under their brand name.

Gloves? Dunno. There are waterproof gloves in abundance. Problem is that they all leak eventually.
+1. While they are my first pair of proper riding boots, the TCX X-Action Waterproof boots (Link) have worked really well for me. They fit right and have worn in nicely over the year that I've owned them.

Edit: I should mention that they run about a half size to full size large. I wear a 13-13.5 in most shoes and was swimming in the 13's I ordered so switched to the 12.5's.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I have a 11" high boots that has a AeroTex liner from MotoBell. Worked well and survived a horrendous rain showers for countless hours.

I bought a waterproof glove from eBay, but it did soaked up a little moisture.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have the Fly Sport Touring boots. I got caught in a downpour in January on my way in. the only places soaked through was my neck and my jeans hem that stuck out from the bottom of my pants.

Boots help up well and my feet were dry as a bone. Now if I hadn't been wearing my over pants I'm sure the water would have eventually soaked in from the top. But paired with my overpants feet were warm and toasty.

·
Registered
208 Posts
I've been using Sidi Rain boots for the past few years with very good results. They run a little small. Next pair I'll order the next size. Just recently purchased a pair of waterproof gloves from Motorcycle Gear. Can't recall the model, but they were tested and highly recommended by Motorcycle Consumer News. Haven't had the chance to use them in actual riding situation. However, holding them in bucket of water, my hands remained bone dry.

·
Registered
1,444 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
I also have some Sidi boots, don't remember which model, but a waterproof model. They've been good. After a couple seasons I started to get just a little bit of a damp toe. This past rain season I got some leather waterproof wax and rewaxed them. I haven't done any wet weather riding this year though. The wifey hates it when I do, and I've been able to take the car.

I also have some Hugger waterproof m/c gloves http://www.huggergloves.com/. I've liked them quite a bit, the price is right, and these I also had to re-waterproof, but they've been OK.

I don't usually ride through torrential downpours, but the boots and gloves I have have been alright for the wet weather riding I've done. I also just got some Oxford Handle Bar Muffs http://www.twistedthrottle.com/trade/productview/5261/, but haven't used them in the rain yet. They look like they'll do the trick though.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I have a pair of TCX Synergy boots for touring and they are water "resistant", but haven't failed me yet. Too much of a boot for riding to work, so I just got a pair of Teknic Chicane waterproof street boot from Revzilla. Nice shoe for the price, comfortable and looks good on and off the bike. Haven't tried them in the rain yet, but see no reason they shouldn't work as well...

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
++1 on TCX.

Gloves are a bigger challenge, only truly dry glove I've used are extra large rubber gloves over regular gloves. Get the longest length you can-one of my buddies recommends 'seminal insertion gloves', available from your local feed store;-)

They roll up small and if you put a couple of rubber bands over the wrists, you'll stay dry guaranteed. AND an added benefit, they look so cool and cost almost nothing!

Machog

1 - 15 of 15 Posts