Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Would installing a guard influence the air flow to a point it could damage the bike??

·
Registered
356 Posts
Maybe, maybe not? Are you buying an aftermarket guard or doing one yourself? Some have made their own, which you can do search if you haven't done so already. I would think it all comes down to the screen or guard you are choosing. How tight of a weave will it be? That would be the deciding factor of how much air flow it will provide. IMO. On the flipside, if you take a direct shot from road debris and damage your radiator. Then you are also toast! Probably not the answer you wanted. But its difficult to say without seeing what you are wanting to protect your bike with.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Maybe, maybe not? Are you buying an aftermarket guard or doing one yourself? Some have made their own, which you can do search if you haven't done so already. I would think it all comes down to the screen or guard you are choosing. How tight of a weave will it be? That would be the deciding factor of how much air flow it will provide. IMO. On the flipside, if you take a direct shot from road debris and damage your radiator. Then you are also toast! Probably not the answer you wanted. But its difficult to say without seeing what you are wanting to protect your bike with.
I have the OEM one, just we have an ongoing debate over this in our group.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Yes, just like motor oil and chain lube. I get it. Full transparency, I just purchased an OEM guard myself online this week. So I am anxiously awaiting to see the quality. Again, if you do a search up above. You will find some useful links on the subject.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Would installing a guard influence the air flow to a point it could damage the bike??
NO, radiator guards have been around for decades, no overheating issues, that werent caused by something else. I have always used them on all of my dirt bikes and in tight single track riding you are only going a few mph with very low airflow. I have never had any issues or ever heard of anyone experiencing overheating.

·
Registered
401 Posts
I bought an aftermarket guard and put in on my V1K this spring. My bike likes to run warm in traffic in the summer here in Colorado - I was worried by the 'high' temps near the end of my 25 minute commute home. The usual commute included 15 miles of highway, where speeds were in the mid-to upper 70s (thanks to covid and lower traffic levels). When I would get off the highway onto surface streets, the fan would come on at the 3 -4 stoplights I would hit. Temps would drop back to low 200s between stops. I took the guard off, and really didn't notice much difference. I might have gone an extra stop light before the fan turned on.

·
Registered
327 Posts
I have on my V650 radiator guad from aliexpress:
This type:

But I disassembled that guard and between the frame and the original grille I inserted a tiny aluminum mosquito net and put it all back together.
So the larger pieces will be stopped by the original net, and the flies and other bugs will be stopped by this tiny net and the refrigerator will be clean, there will only be dust in it.

Never have problem with heat, only on slow speed I feel hot air because fan start to work.

Reactions: Craigar

·
Registered
18 Posts
I can't imagine Kawasaki designing an OEM radiator guard that would damage their own bike. Install it, and keep an eye on the temperature gauge.
I think you'll find your debate settled in short order.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have it installed and no issues what so ever :) Thank you all for your responses

·
Registered
541 Posts
I did not know that Kawasaki has radiator guard for V650. I Installed the T-rex one, and it is not very stable, but allows enough air flow. By the way, the BMW company can void one's warranty by installing the guard, because it does a bit restrict the cooling. I would not worry about it. if the bike gets too hot, you will get a warning on the dashboard.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts