Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looks like RAD is back in business. I asked them if they will make versys 650 hubs. Anyone have any information?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Looks like RAD is back in business. I asked them if they will make versys 650 hubs. Anyone have any information?
Also don’t see any dl1000 front wheels on eBay. It looks like the dl650 front wheel is the same as the 1000 with different bearings. Can anyone confirm this?

·
Super Moderator
20,919 Posts

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
the new owners of RAD had been contacted previously to determine whether they would start producing the billet hubs the original owner machined for the Versys. as far as i know, the new owner didn't even know that they should have a CAD file on hand for these hubs, and i've never run across any follow up, although i admit that i haven't been looking since i run my own version of spokes.

regarding the DL650/DL1000 wheels, the 1000 used a 20mm axle, while the 650 used a 17mm axle. why Suzuki did this is anyone's guess, but a wheel bearing with a 20mm ID to fit the 650 wheel is unobtainium. some have machined the bearing pocket on the 650 wheel to accept the larger 1000 bearing/seal, and some have used a 17mm axle and a 650 wheel with Versys forks, but in both cases you'll need to be somewhat clever.

RAD also made spoke hubs for the Stroms, but it was the same exact hub with different bearings for both. worth noting, the billet hub for the Versys is slightly wider than the billet hub for the Strom, so if you plan to take the next step past spokes and swap in a bigger suspension, say the DRZ400S 49mm forks, the Strom hub is better because it will fit both OEM Versys and DRZ.

·
Registered
2015 650 Versys LT ABS
49 Posts
I can confirm that Rad MFG, is taking orders for the Versys, they manufacturing a billet Versys hub.
Also I have ordered a complete spoke set, on excel 700 rims 17/19.

Rad mfg
michael warino
162 N 1000 W Cedar City, UT 84720-2363
United States
Phone: 435-233-1747
[email protected]
RadMFG2020.com

·
Registered
2015 650 Versys LT ABS
49 Posts
I used Woody's site Woody's Wheel Works - Custom Motorcycle Wheels & Services to built my spoke set and bounced it of Micheal at RAD mfg.
He seemed ok with it because his site has no wheel builder.
The cost is virtually the same as on the Woody wheel site.
Here is his Micheal email reply;
"..Hub's are $250.00 front, and $280.00 rear full wheelset are laced and trued.”

Btw, he is very very very busy, be patient we need him¡

·
Registered
2,360 Posts
He seemed ok with it because his site has no wheel builder.

"..Hub's are $250.00 front, and $280.00 rear full wheelset are laced and trued.”
RAD used to do fully laced and trued wheel sets under the previous owner, and the current owner also says his wheel builders will lace and true according to their site today. if they don't build wheels, they should take that section down.

Woody has always used RAD hubs for the Versys 650 until they were no longer made, the only hubs available for a direct swap from OEM cast. i think the Woody's set was $1800 sealed for tubeless back then. in those years, the 650 could be purchased brand new for $4300-4600 right off the dealer floor, and not many riders considered an $1800 set of wheels for a price point bike. the wheels got a little publicity bump when a national motorcycle mag did a build on the Versys using every after market part available. they spent way more on parts than the cost of the bike itself. there was some discussion regarding that particular bike on this forum.

·
Registered
2015 650 Versys LT ABS
49 Posts
@jdrocks
Regarding my comments about RAD mfg not having a ".. wheel builder" was about his Website.
On Woodies site, you can build (on the website) your set.

Also, his regular set is around $900 bucks (non-excel).

Guy's I'm so stocked, that our 650 & 1000 Versys owner now have a top spoke opinion!

Remember, you have to get brake rotors to finish it off. Now we have a true dual-sport, swap the set for Canon carving or ripping Singel trails. :)

·
Registered
2015 650 Versys LT ABS
49 Posts
:cry::mad:(n)
Sad news;
[email protected]
RadMFG2020.com

Seem to be out of business!!!!
So frustrating, I had a couple of talks with the hub engineer, sounded rock-solid, placed an order, and after months of NO replies, dead phones, dead emails I had to engaged Paypal for a full refund!
I received a full refund, I still have a bad taste in my mouth, including tires and suspensions for the promised conversion.... not good!

Sorry folks, I got burned... so far no hubs for our Versys (n)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts