Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like you guys in the States I also have the problem of finding goodies for my V and it costs an arm to have things shipped out to South Africa, so I did a drawing of a radguard similar to the Romatech one and had it lasercut locally. If anyone is interested PM me and I can send them the Autocad file which can be used to have one cut out. I used 1.6mm stainless steel plate and it cost me about half the amount of buying one. I admit that I did a little polishing to get it looking good but it was worth it.

Silverfish

:p

Attachments

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi bud,
Your rad gaurd looks cool, wanted to get one but they are not cheap. Could you send me your auto cad file and I can give it a go... Many thanks

·
Registered
129 Posts
Silverfish

I should be picking up my rad guard, based on your drawing, tomorrow. Was wondering what the process is for polishing and is that better than painting?

I had various prices given to me, most of them over $120. FInally found a local guy who is doing it for $60 :)

Thanks again

les

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Silverfish

I should be picking up my rad guard, based on your drawing, tomorrow. Was wondering what the process is for polishing and is that better than painting?

I had various prices given to me, most of them over $120. FInally found a local guy who is doing it for $60 :)

Thanks again

les
If It's stainless steel like mine was, I first used an orbital sander with a very fine emery paper (material type, not paper) with a bit of water and cleaned it up, then I used 'autosol' metal polish with a buffing wheel attached to a drill and did the final polishing.
If it's mild steel I would consider powder coating it rather than paint as It's harder to scratch

cheers

Silverfish:thumb:

·
Registered
42 Posts
Could you send me the file as well?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
It's possible to get pre finished 316 stainless sheet, either in brush finish or polished. It comes with a plastic protector sheet covering the finish. It's used in the restaurant and kitchen trade. If you can get it cut with a water jet machine, it will cut through the protector, which can be peeled off afterwards.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Like you guys in the States I also have the problem of finding goodies for my V and it costs an arm to have things shipped out to South Africa, so I did a drawing of a radguard similar to the Romatech one and had it lasercut locally. If anyone is interested PM me and I can send them the Autocad file which can be used to have one cut out. I used 1.6mm stainless steel plate and it cost me about half the amount of buying one. I admit that I did a little polishing to get it looking good but it was worth it.

Silverfish

:p
Looks great! Can you email me autocad file to [email protected]?

·
Registered
103 Posts
Silverfish - I would appreciate a copy too, sent to my email - [email protected]

Thanks for your time and effort

·
Super Moderator
20,661 Posts
Guys,
FWIW - I went to Home Depot and bought a screen (6" X 12" ...?) for gutters and 'rattle-canned' it black. Attached it with several zip-ties. Cost about $8 including paint (LOTS left.).
Ed :cheers:

·
Registered
97 Posts
did the same. Home Depot and fastened it on the screws below and top H&B bars. Cheap and works well. Also painted black

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Guys,
FWIW - I went to Home Depot and bought a screen (6" X 12" ...?) for gutters and 'rattle-canned' it black. Attached it with several zip-ties. Cost about $8 including paint (LOTS left.).
Ed :cheers:
fasteddiecopeman

what screen you bought for 8$? I was looking but everything is much more expensive...
do you have a photo also?

thx!

·
Super Moderator
20,661 Posts
fasteddiecopeman

what screen you bought for 8$? I was looking but everything is much more expensive...
do you have a photo also?

thx!
This one. The screen cost about $4 ($3.95?), and the paint about $4 too.

Attachments

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.