Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Versys 650
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
You can check out ADVPlus for their writeup on the Wolfman Unrack system. It looks like a pretty slick setup, and Wolfman seems to be a reputable company. I also like how I could use the waterproof rollie bags for other purposes beyond moto-camping (i.e. canoeing in the Boundary Waters).

·
Registered
2014 Versys 650
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Update - I ordered and since returned the Wolfman Unrack system. The b-base is a fantastic design and fit perfectly on the bike. It was made of great material and seemed ready to take on anything I could throw at it. The WP Rolie bags and WP duffel I ordered just didn't cut it for me for the price. I'm sure they are beyond durable, but the vinyl material felt cheep and felt like I was strapping on a heavy duty raft on the back of my bike. The system is also way more involved to get set up and attach. While I LOVED the concept of versatility, the inconvenience of setup each time, the steep price comparatively, and the cheep feel it gave the bike (to me anyway), just didn't cut it. Total cost for the entire Wolfman setup was $550 and it gave me 70L of capacity. I can get into hard panniers (Tusk of Happy Trails) between $500-600 and I will likely go that route now.

·
Registered
34 Posts
First post on the forums.

I've searched the threads on this site (and all over the internet) unsuccessfully for answers. If there's a thread/discussion that I may have missed on here then feel free to point m in the right direction. Thanks.

I have decided I want to go with a rackless soft luggage system on my 2014 650 Versys. Curious if anyone has any experience with two particular systems I'm considering:

1) Wolfman Unrack System

2) Tusk Highlander Rackless System

Both systems are designed to be relatively universal, and I've seen pics and read about both systems on just about every single bike on the planet OTHER than the Versys, lol. Anyone have any experience with these? I keep going back and forth regarding which system to go with. Anyone have pics/videos they could share with either of these systems setup on a Versys?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/suggestions/help!
I ended up making my own, frame to keep my soft bags out the rear wheel, sprockets chain etc. Had some steel tubing, better yet some solid steel rod, 3/8" or thicker, and access to an acetylene torch for bending the tube into a semi-rectanglar shape, although not sure that is necessary with solid rod at least. You would need a welder or somebody to help with this. Anyway, found some mounting point forward and up near the rear framework to mount the ends. You shaped the rods so that they hold your bags away from any possible contact. You might be able to use some metal epoxy, such as JB weld to attach the fastening points. It would probably be a good idea to link, guard rods/tubes with some sort of connector, behind the wheel, possibly routed and or connected to the license plate reflector extension. I haven't done that as yet, but thinking that would be a good addition.

·
Registered
800 Posts
First post on the forums.

I've searched the threads on this site (and all over the internet) unsuccessfully for answers. If there's a thread/discussion that I may have missed on here then feel free to point m in the right direction. Thanks.

I have decided I want to go with a rackless soft luggage system on my 2014 650 Versys. Curious if anyone has any experience with two particular systems I'm considering:

1) Wolfman Unrack System

2) Tusk Highlander Rackless System

Both systems are designed to be relatively universal, and I've seen pics and read about both systems on just about every single bike on the planet OTHER than the Versys, lol. Anyone have any experience with these? I keep going back and forth regarding which system to go with. Anyone have pics/videos they could share with either of these systems setup on a Versys?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/suggestions/help!
it all depends if you are riding solo or not. I have hard boxes on couple of my bikes and found myself never using them. they make me feel too wide, and I am always afraid of hitting something. if you ride alone, a big bag that you put on the pillion seat is all you need. sw-motech has good ones. incidentally,
giant_loop_round_the_world_panniers_750x750.jpg
giant_loop_round_the_world_panniers_750x750.jpg
on one of my bikes I have giant loop soft side bags, and they do their job quite well; but you do need to improvise some metal supporting racks.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts