Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
2014 Versys 650
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First post on the forums.

I've searched the threads on this site (and all over the internet) unsuccessfully for answers. If there's a thread/discussion that I may have missed on here then feel free to point m in the right direction. Thanks.

I have decided I want to go with a rackless soft luggage system on my 2014 650 Versys. Curious if anyone has any experience with two particular systems I'm considering:

1) Wolfman Unrack System

2) Tusk Highlander Rackless System

Both systems are designed to be relatively universal, and I've seen pics and read about both systems on just about every single bike on the planet OTHER than the Versys, lol. Anyone have any experience with these? I keep going back and forth regarding which system to go with. Anyone have pics/videos they could share with either of these systems setup on a Versys?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts/suggestions/help!

·
Registered
815 Posts
How much volume will you carry? these systems are in the 40L to 83L range.

A 60L (sw motech) top opening drybag fits length wise on seat (tie on grab rails) and a tail rack (tie on rack sides). That's cheaper and much less risk of breaking what side bags might carry upon tip over/crash. It's a bit top heavier of course but not that much more than with the same weight in cases.

I could probably go on a hotel/creditcard trips with only that 60L bag; I did with 2x 37L sidecases with some room to spare. My main reason for hard cases is to want to lock them. If you already settled for soft luggage, you are not concerned with that. So perhaps this 60L bags is enough. You could also opt for 2x40L drybags width-wise in front of each other, but that's going to overhang quite a lot unless you enlarge the tail platform.

I would never go back to soft luggage without some sort of frame preventing the bags from hitting the wheel. But when you say rackless, that seems like a recipe for such thing to happen. Some rigid backing and a bottom tie point to passenger pegs MUST available, imho.

·
Registered
2014 Versys 650
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Hey thanks dddd for sharing your thoughts on this. I'm planning on a a couple 3-7 day trips (not yet decided exactly), all of it mostly moto-camping. I haven't done camping on my motorcycle yet, but I've done a fair amount of backpacking. I know how to pack light, but that's when the weight is all on my back, lol. If my bike is carrying all the weight then I'm going to try pack a few more comforts that I might normally go without if I have to carry them :) That said, I'm thinking in the 70-90L range for capacity.

Are you familiar with either of the systems I referenced? They have a base that you build on which keeps the bags secure and away from the rear wheel. The Tusk system is less configurable than the Wolfman system, but both seem like great systems. The Wolfman is more configurable, but it's also more expensive.

I'm pretty set on soft bags for a variety of reasons. I know that security is more of a risk with soft cases. But weight, no need for racks, expense, safety, configurability, etc. seem to go in slight favor to soft cases. Plus, I these two soft systems are more universal so I can build a setup and take it from bike to bike significantly easier than hard cases which require rack setup specific to one bike. Plus, I know it's more personal preference, but I like the look of the two soft case systems mentioned above over any hard-case setup that I've seen. Again, I know more personal preference. All that to say, I'm pretty set on soft cases :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
Have you searched ADVrider.com?

·
Registered
Kawasaki Versys 2019 ABS
156 Posts

I've searched the threads on this site (and all over the internet) unsuccessfully for answers. If there's a thread/discussion that I may have missed on here then feel free to point m in the right direction. Thanks.

I have decided I want to go with a rackless soft luggage system on my 2014 650 Versys. Curious if anyone has any experience with two particular systems I'm considering:

1) Wolfman Unrack System

Both systems are designed to be relatively universal, and I've seen pics and read about both systems on just about every single bike on the planet OTHER than the Versys, lol. Anyone have any experience with these? I keep going back and forth regarding which system to go with. Anyone have pics/videos they could share with either of these systems setup on a Versys?

I have the Dirtsack Frogman set for 3 years now and must say it is excellent. The large tail bag, if loaded to its fullest capacity AND with heavy stuff, does cause a bit of top-heavy behaviour on my 650. So I keep light clothes in it and the heavy items like extra tools etc in the side panniers. I have used it on my BMW 310 GS and the Versys 650.

All you need to so to prevent the lower part of the side bags from getting too close to the rear wheel is this:
Run a bungee cord from one rear foot peg mount, all the way round the rear of the bike, to the other foot peg. Then, the side bag will rest on this bungee cord and stop it from jiggling sideways and going too close to the wheel for comfort. Also, the bags' own straps will anchor it securely in place.

Else, you can get small saddle stays fabricated from light aluminium tubing and attach them permanently to the bike; they will not bear any significant weight so can be very light indeed.

The other choice is the Rynox Expedition series. Again, superb performance. I don't have the set as it had been out of stock when I had wanted it for my ride to Ladakh in 2019 but those of my friends who do have it, swear by it.

Ditto the bungee cord around the rear.

In India, imported bike luggage is exorbitantly priced, particularly the hard case variety from GIVI etc. Also, they make the bike a magnet for unwanted attention. These locally made sets are perfect alternatives.

I use only soft luggage as given the places that I stay in on my rides across the county, one has to take one's luggage into the hotel room. So, lighter the better.

·
Registered
800 Posts
I have SW Motech boxes and racks that go with them, but I use them only when I have a girlfriend coming with me on a trip. I really do not understand why people use hard boxes? I see all the BMW adventure bikes with single rider carrying those enormous boxes as if it was supposed look cool, while it is just plain silly, and very dangerous; the bike becomes wide like a car and can easily hit something in the traffic - plus, the side boxes create wind resistance. If one rides single, the best option is soft bag at the rear seat. Many companies offer them. I use SW-motech one; you can buy softer or more solid option.

·
Registered
2014 Versys 650
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
How much volume will you carry? these systems are in the 40L to 83L range.

A 60L (sw motech) top opening drybag fits length wise on seat (tie on grab rails) and a tail rack (tie on rack sides). That's cheaper and much less risk of breaking what side bags might carry upon tip over/crash. It's a bit top heavier of course but not that much more than with the same weight in cases.

I could probably go on a hotel/creditcard trips with only that 60L bag; I did with 2x 37L sidecases with some room to spare. My main reason for hard cases is to want to lock them. If you already settled for soft luggage, you are not concerned with that. So perhaps this 60L bags is enough. You could also opt for 2x40L drybags width-wise in front of each other, but that's going to overhang quite a lot unless you enlarge the tail platform.

I would never go back to soft luggage without some sort of frame preventing the bags from hitting the wheel. But when you say rackless, that seems like a recipe for such thing to happen. Some rigid backing and a bottom tie point to passenger pegs MUST available, imho.
Hey thanks dddd for sharing your thoughts on this. I'm planning on a a couple 3-7 day trips (not yet decided exactly), all of it mostly moto-camping. I haven't done camping on my motorcycle yet, but I've done a fair amount of backpacking. I know how to pack light, but that's when the weight is all on my back, lol. If my bike is carrying all the weight then I'm going to try pack a few more comforts that I might normally go without if I have to carry them :) That said, I'm thinking in the 70-90L range for capacity.

Are you familiar with either of the systems I referenced? They have a base that you build on which keeps the bags secure and away from the rear wheel. The Tusk system is less configurable than the Wolfman system, but both seem like great systems. The Wolfman is more configurable, but it's also more expensive.

I'm pretty set on soft bags for a variety of reasons. I know that security is more of a risk with soft cases. But weight, no need for racks, expense, safety, configurability, etc. seem to go in slight favor to soft cases. Plus, these two soft systems are more universal so I can build a setup and take it from bike to bike significantly easier than hard cases which require rack setup specific to one bike. Plus, I know it's more personal preference, but I like the look of the two soft case systems mentioned above over any hard-case setup that I've seen. Again, I know more personal preference. All that to say, I'm pretty set on soft cases :)

·
Registered
815 Posts
I have SW Motech boxes and racks that go with them, but I use them only when I have a girlfriend coming with me on a trip. I really do not understand why people use hard boxes? I see all the BMW adventure bikes with single rider carrying those enormous boxes as if it was supposed look cool, while it is just plain silly, and very dangerous; the bike becomes wide like a car and can easily hit something in the traffic - plus, the side boxes create wind resistance. If one rides single, the best option is soft bag at the rear seat. Many companies offer them. I use SW-motech one; you can buy softer or more solid option.
Aside from the reason you just hinted yourself (I'd have to leap to connect a girlfriend with the need for cases...),
hardcases are used for:
-volume,
-rugged packing protecting content,
-better fit than bags, no scuffing,
-lower center of gravity than tail bag.
-ability to lock,
-ability to use the hood as tray while rummaging,
-ability to use as a stool,
-some added bike protection on tip over (at least easier to pick up)
-bonus: leave the side racks on, even with only a tail bag, to protect the bike and add grab handles offroad

They are certainly ugly and bulky (especially the original ones) but not dangerous.
When I need them, I can't mind. On a 1-day ride I can do without, but not on a trip.

ps: don't rely on BMW riders for insightful justifications... They bought a 500-600 lbs 18+ k$ bike to go offroad. That disqualifies them immediately LOL.

·
Super Moderator
20,212 Posts
First off - WELCOME aboard, BigFatJam...!

...ps: don't rely on BMW riders for insightful justifications... They bought a 500-600 lbs 18+ k$ bike to go offroad. That disqualifies them immediately LOL.
FUNNY POST, dddd!

(y)(y)

:cool:

·
Registered
2014 Versys 650
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First off - WELCOME aboard, BigFatJam...!
Thanks!

Aside from the reason you just hinted yourself (I'd have to leap to connect a girlfriend with the need for cases...),
hardcases are used for:
-volume,
-rugged packing protecting content,
-better fit than bags, no scuffing,
-lower center of gravity than tail bag.
-ability to lock,
-ability to use the hood as tray while rummaging,
-ability to use as a stool,
-some added bike protection on tip over (at least easier to pick up)
-bonus: leave the side racks on, even with only a tail bag, to protect the bike and add grab handles offroad
I'm sure we could debate the benefits of soft/hard cases all day long which is fun ;) but the main reason I started this thread was to find out any info/experiences from Versys owners with the Wolfman Unrack system and/or the Tusk Highland system (or any other viable rackless soft case systems) 👍

·
Super Moderator
1,491 Posts
well now I feel offended - but then all my bikes are a tool

Owner of...
trusty 2012 Versys 650
TBDBITW - the biggest dirt bike In the world! 600lb 2015 Yamaha Super Tenere 1200 (ES) which I do ride dirt.
and well just because I also own a 2018 BMW R1200GSA fully kitted.

Hard panniers have their place, anything over 3 days touring (or camping) and I will take them. Otherwise it is a 50L drybag over the back seat.

·
Super Moderator
1,491 Posts
I'm sure we could debate the benefits of soft/hard cases all day long which is fun ;) but the main reason I started this thread was to find out any info/experiences from Versys owners with the Wolfman Unrack system and/or the Tusk Highland system (or any other viable rackless soft case systems) 👍
It is all about what you are going to do. Is you are serious dirt biker then Wolfman and Tusk tube style dry bag system are tough durable - but I think a bit inconvenient - you need to lean how to pack so you can access stuff quickly. (If you are into hiking and camping for days on end then this system would suit that mind set)

I have a 50L wide mouth drybag I throw over the back seat. no neatly stuffing a tube dry bag - the roll top is as wide as the bag and I just chuck it all in. Panniers are even better as you can just unclip them and take them into your tent or room etc. or just take out individual inner bags as needed.

I know a few folks that used the Krieger multi pack route - they have since sold it all off for other lugauge systems as strapping was not performing well.

But Comparing them both I'm liking the Tusk.

·
Registered
2014 Versys 650
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a 50L wide mouth drybag I throw over the back seat. no neatly stuffing a tube dry bag - the roll top is as wide as the bag and I just chuck it all in. Panniers are even better as you can just unclip them and take them into your tent or room etc. or just take out individual inner bags as needed.
Good thoughts. I've also considered the Zippered Expedition Duffel ($175) by Wolfman (50L, waterproof and it can also serve as backpack), and then pair it with the DrySpec 20L ($175) saddlebags for additional space. That's 90L of useable waterproof packing space for just a tic north of $350.

My main two reasons for steering away from hard cases include cost (with the needed rack systems they seem just crazy expensive) and also personal preference for the look of heavy duty soft bags.

·
Super Moderator
1,491 Posts
Good thoughts. I've also considered the Zippered Expedition Duffel ($175) by Wolfman (50L, waterproof and it can also serve as backpack), and then pair it with the DrySpec 20L ($175) saddlebags for additional space. That's 90L of useable waterproof packing space for just a tic north of $350.

My main two reasons for steering away from hard cases include cost (with the needed rack systems they seem just crazy expensive) and also personal preference for the look of heavy duty soft bags.

sorry my mistake they are 35L and here lies the confusion...
( MOTO-SAC Motorcycle Motorbike Universal 35L Dry Duffle Bag - Adventure Bikes | eBay )

I have a Redverz Tent that fits into their Redverz 50L dry bag (same style) but the tent also fits into the Moto-Sac 35L bag - hmmm Tardis maybe!
( Redverz 50 Liter Dry Bag Grey/Black )

Oh an I strap them down to my seat using ROK Straps - bloody brilliant straps.

·
Registered
2014 Versys 650
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Kinda surprised nobody has mentioned the premium off road brand of soft luggage: Mosko Moto | Motorcycle Soft Luggage & Adventure Bike Gear

If you can get past the initial cost, you’ll find their stuff is well designed and durable.
I have explored Mosko and their gear looks great. For my use (a handful of trips a year) I don't anticipate needing top-of-the-line expensive soft cases. I could see splurging more for hard cases as I use my Versys as a daily commuter and the hard cases would come in handy with built in security. All that to say, spending that much for soft cases doesn't make that much sense for my use, and is the reason I didn't include Mosko in my original post.

·
Super Moderator
20,212 Posts
...Oh an I strap them down to my seat using ROK Straps - bloody brilliant straps....
ABSOLUTELY correct! (I even carry spares in my saddlebags 'just-in-case'.)

·
Registered
9 Posts

1) Wolfman Unrack System

Just throwing the Giant Loop “ Great Basin” in the mix. 60 liter roll top. The legs tie down at the passenger pegs. I put the softer items there in case of a drop.

·
Registered
2014 Versys 650
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ust throwing the Giant Loop “ Great Basin” in the mix. 60 liter roll top. The legs tie down at the passenger pegs. I put the softer items there in case of a drop.
I've looked into the Great Basin. Seems like a solid system. Would you have a pic of it on your Versys? Curious how it fits on the Versys

What I really like about the Wolfman Unrack setup is the versatility - day rides, quick weekends, or longer road trips can all be setup according to variety of needs.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts