Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
21 - 40 of 44 Posts
That's good!
In your case, you had a shock with 12 mm holes which are bigger than your frame bolts (10 mm). In this case, it's the opposite way around. The R1 shock mount holes (10 mm) need to be modified (enlarged) to accept the larger Versys frame bolts (12 mm).
Sorry I actually re-read what I posted and it did not quite come out right. The top mount of the 250 is the same as the Versys situation, GSX-R shock is 10mm id bushing and 250 was 12mm. I used the 10mm GSXR bolt and had two bushings to sleeve up the the parts of the bolt that go into the frame (shock mount). It would be the same on the Versys. The bolt as it passes through the frame is a sleeved, the bolt as it passes through the shock bushing is un-sleeved.

Sorry I actually re-read what I posted and it did not quite come out right. The top mount of the 250 is the same as the Versys situation, GSX-R shock is 10mm id bushing and 250 was 12mm. I used the 10mm GSXR bolt and had two bushings to sleeve up the the parts of the bolt that go into the frame (shock mount). It would be the same on the Versys. The bolt as it passes through the frame is a sleeved, the bolt as it passes through the shock bushing is un-sleeved.
Well done!
That could work for the bottom bolt (bolt & nut) but I can't see that for the top bolt because it threads directly into the frame.

Well done!
That could work for the bottom bolt (bolt & nut) but I can't see that for the top bolt because it threads directly into the frame.
10-4. Having not done a rear shock swap on the Versys yet I didn't realize that about the top bolt. Good info. :thumb:

Well done!
It shouldn't be that big a deal to have someone make you a shoulder bolt for the top. You just need to be sure when they turn & thread the end that they relieve any sharp internal corners

I apologize...got my thinking backwards shoulder bolt won't work.

Yes. Both of mine 'wear' a 13.8kg/mm spring from Racetech. (I'm 180# 'soaking-wet' - PLUS ATGATT.) Some are now using the OEM Versys springs, or those from another Kawi cruiser....

NA6901 bearing source - quality spec?

It's a NBS needle bearing NA6901 (outside diameter = 24 mm, inside diameter of sleeve= 12 mm, width = 22 mm
:)
Quexpress - do you have a source for this bearing? It seems a generic dimensional spec. You can find them all over, the quality appears to vary a lot - at least according to price range of $4 to $50 + shipping.

I don't have a relationship with a local machine shop, wouldn't know where to start...

Thanks for figuring this out, gents!

Yes. Both of mine 'wear' a 13.8kg/mm spring from Racetech. (I'm 180# 'soaking-wet' - PLUS ATGATT.) Some are now using the OEM Versys springs, or those from another Kawi cruiser....
Yamaha Roadstar or Roadstar Warrior

Quexpress - do you have a source for this bearing? It seems a generic dimensional spec. You can find them all over, the quality appears to vary a lot - at least according to price range of $4 to $50 + shipping.
I purchased mine at a local bearing supplier. Check your local bearing and seal suppliers. You can choose whatever quality you want.

I don't have a relationship with a local machine shop, wouldn't know where to start...
Looks like you will need to do some shopping to find a machinist that you can trust. :)
You'll also need to know a shop who has the required spring compressor and can swap the spring for you.

Thanks for figuring this out, gents!
:welcome:

the spring is just a 2.25X7, readily available in whatever rate you want to use. again, for reference, the OEM Versys spring is 900#/in or 16kg/mm, same thing. yes, the OEM Versys spring will fit the R1, although it may need to be clearanced slightly on one end to fit the R1 collar.

if using a spring from another bike, you need to research the spring rate to know what you're buying, it may not be suitable for your weight or intended use.

there's more than one way to handle the simple modifications to both ends of the R1 shock, a little reading will determine which is best for you.

CORRECTION to this: the springs are EIBACH, and were supplied thru Racetech.

Yes. Both of mine 'wear' a 13.8kg/mm spring from Racetech. (I'm 180# 'soaking-wet' - PLUS ATGATT.)...
i don't know how you get by with a 13.8, you might be 180#, but then you add another 180# of junk every time you go camping. you must try to wind the preload clean off the shock.

just kiddin' Eduardo, all that stuff on the bike doesn't look like it weighs a pound more than 150.

i don't know how you get by with a 13.8, you might be 180#, but then you add another 180# of junk every time you go camping. you must try to wind the preload clean off the shock.

just kiddin' Eduardo, all that stuff on the bike doesn't look like it weighs a pound more than 150.
OTOH - MY 180 + 150 = 330#, which is STILL less than the "Rat Bike" rider, one-up, but NAKED otherwise...!

:censored:

I see '07 and 08 listed for the shock.... is that the only years that work? and recomend a spring for a guy that weighs 240

Data point: I have Speedy's lowering kit and run the R1 on my '08... I have bottomed it a time or two and rubbed the shock reservoir on the frame just a little. I'm 235ish without gear and run the yamaha 13.8 spring... I believe it is on the 7th preload step (of 9?).... so I'd say I'm a bit undersprung.

To run the lowering kit, you'll need to trim the plastic and also need to grind the bottom of the metal tab where the plastic mounts on the frame for a little more clearance.

I plan on switching to the stock Versys spring sometime in the near future... I'd like to try a 15Kg spring, but the stock 16Kg+ spring is the right price.

Still one of the best mods to date... and a few weeks ago I swapped some shims around in the forks and am very happy with the suspension overall.

I have 08/09 R1 shock on my Versys-08 and have posted pictures here a few years back. All mod i did was a few bushing and all is good till to-date. Love the ride and feel, compare to stock.:thumb:

quexpress - I moved that pic over to your post, #9 on this thread.

Is that what you wanted?
I wanted the pic in post 17. Onewizard moved it and other photos to post 17.

Post 9 also needed a pic but I forgot to ask. Your move is therefore also appreciated.

Thanks a lot to both of you! :)

Yeah this has to be the best bang for your buck mod...for our harsh stock shock ..

I went to E Bay and bought a Yamaha 2008 R1 rear shock for bucks..

Took it down to the local machinist to drill out the eyelets to 12 mm... bucks..

Bingo..set the preload to max and if your like me ...solo rider and 160 lbs. the R1 spring will be a little soft..

However , I get a 50 mm rider sag and the compression and rebound is fun to play with...

This is my second R1 shock transplant and the results are brilliant..

Plush , compliant , and you can source a better spring cheap too..

Thanks to this wonderful forum and the great sharing of info..you guys rock !:wink2:

$50?

I am looking for this part and it varies from $575 to $600. Somehow, these low prices are not showing on ebay at all.

https://www.yamahasportsplaza.com/oemparts/a/yam/500469a2f8700209bc796620/rear-suspension

21 - 40 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.