Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just synched the throttle bodies and here is the strange thing:

I needed to turn the left adjustment screw in to level the vacuum indicators, but it was already all the way in. So I needed to turn the right screw out to bring the indicators at the same level.

But the right screw is the one that I should not mess with...?

Anyway, both cylinders now pull the same vacuum, but to get there I needed to adjust the right screw, not the left.

The manual actually says that both sides need to pull 39.7 kPa, not just be equal, which is what we have been describing on this forum.
That means that I am SOL, because I have the simple Motion Pro Carb Synch tool, which only shows if you pull equal vacuum. I don't have a manometer which shows how much vacuum each side pulls.

It could be that both are equal now, but the wrong amount. Hmm. Oh well, it is what it is, and it will have to do.

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
The manual says to remove the screws to be cleaned with carb cleaning fluids if you have trouble balancing the TB. Gum n varnish build up could lead to poor metering.

·
Registered
261 Posts
As long as they are balanced at idle and off idle, you are golden.

Did you adjust the valves first?

The amount of vacuum is determined by engine speed and condition.

David

·
Registered
739 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The manual says to remove the screws to be cleaned with carb cleaning fluids if you have trouble balancing the TB. Gum n varnish build up could lead to poor metering.
It wasn't so much trouble in general, more that I didn't follow the "leave the right screw alone, adjust the left screw"-method that I have seen described on this forum.

As long as they are balanced at idle and off idle, you are golden.

Did you adjust the valves first?

The amount of vacuum is determined by engine speed and condition.

David
I did, a couple of thousand miles ago, but I didn't have a synch tool then, so the balancing came later.

The engine nicely revs through the previously rough 6-7k rpm spot again. :thumb:

·
Registered
7,978 Posts
It is usually the right TB screw that is closed. Some other Versys owner also mentioned that it was his left screw that was closed instead of the right... It also depends on slight variations between paired throttle body assemblies and butterfly valve tolerances.

So in other words, leave the TB vacuum bypass adjustment screw that is closed, closed, and balance both vacuum levels at 1300 rpm by adjusting the screw that is already open.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts