Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
(2009 650)

Swapping out my chain and sprockets. The rear was factory 46 and I assumed the front would be the factory 15 but someone changed it to 16. I ordered 15/46 for replacement so If I stay with this I'll be staying with factory gearing. But before I install everything I wanted to get opinions on what I'm thinking.

A) keep it as is
B) send back the new 15t for a 16t so the bike will remain as it was when I got it
C) put the 15t on and send back the 46t for a 45t or 43t

I like the way the bike handles on long rides but I tend to avoid the interstate even when traveling cross country. My last trip in the mountains fully loaded with camping gear I did find myself wishing I had a little more low end get up and go. That's why I'm tempted to leave it as is or keep the 15t front and swap the rear for a 45 or 43.

Thoughts/Opnions?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Think I'm gonna go 15/45 unless anyone has any other suggestions. I'd love to go 15/44 but I cant find a 44t rear.

·
Super Moderator
20,384 Posts
I run w/ the stock 15/46 sprockets, and have since '08, on THREE V650s for at least 155,000 MILES. Works for me in dirt (I do NOT 'do' serious dirt!), as well as on pavement, and I get around 50 to 55 MPG on both my '08 and '15.

Higher gearing can "bite" you if you are ever in a tough situation off-pavement!

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Staying with the 15/46. Don't have time to swap it.

If I run 3000 miles on it over a few weeks and don't like the gearing, can I swap one of the sprockets without changing the chain?

·
Registered
978 Posts
yes, there is no issue with just replacing the sprocket. it is even a good idea to change the front sprocket in the middle of the chain life, because it wears off quicker. i personally think that the factory gearing is spot on. I would not change there anything.

·
Registered
766 Posts
Think I'm gonna go 15/45 unless anyone has any other suggestions. I'd love to go 15/44 but I cant find a 44t rear.
I ride pavement and 15/44 is a real nice compromise for me. Ive got Steves 650 flash for the 2015 also which puts some more meat in the mid-range. Any taller and I would find it tricky with low speed maneuvering in first gear as you have to work the clutch more.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
It's down to your riding style. I find that 16/46 works fine for me- not too tall gearing, not too short on my 1st gen V with stock tire sizes.
Probably the least amount of change compared to other non-stock combos.

·
Registered
1,345 Posts
Staying with the 15/46. Don't have time to swap it.

If I run 3000 miles on it over a few weeks and don't like the gearing, can I swap one of the sprockets without changing the chain?
Idk, it depends on how much of a change you make. The rear wheel chain adjusters can compensate somewhat. There are online chain length calculators that will tell you how many links for any specific sprocket combination. Changing out the front sprocket should be just fine. Adding to the rear sprocket may be a problem, which could be fixed by adding in an additional link.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts