Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if middle of June to early July would be a good time to experience the rocky mountains. My focus is Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Idaho and Washington.

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Later July early August would IMO be better. Less moisture, June can be brutal and I would mark that off as a no go. On the right year it might be ok but? :eek:

I try and go over beartooth pass, top of the world and into Yellowstone Park on my birthday July 23 every year, and its almost always nice! :thumbdown:

You will have a great trip! :goodluck: By the way park officials told me I was too close to this bull moose.

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
trail riding mountains

Don't forget a lot of trails are still blocked with Winter snow,most are open by July 4///Good luck

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I did a Florida to Montana and back trip in July 2012... Headed out west on June 29th through Alabama, Mississippi, Arkansas, Kansas toward Pueblo, CO... Cripple Creek, CO... Breckenridge, CO... Rawlins, WY... Big Horn, MT... Billings, MT... Beartooth Pass... Yellowstone... Grand Tetons... Jackson Hole... Salt Lake City... Grand Junction, CO... the Million Dollar Highway... Sand Dunes National Park... then headed home through New Mexico, Texas, Oklahoma, Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama back to Panama City. July was a great time to be in the Rockies... but I was ever so thankful that I threw a sweatshirt in the bag as an afterthought. It came in handy at high altitudes and in the early mornings a few days during the trip.

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the posts! Also another question I had was what maps do you recommend? Ive had AAA maps and the like.. but was wondering if there is something better for all the states. Already planned on Butler maps for the western states I plan on hitting. Just wanted ones for the rest.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I would look out for fires. I think June would be fine in CO, unless you really want to go out into the forest and such. You really dont have to worry about bugs, especially in Colorado.

·
Registered
89 Posts
MTS,
The picture of the guy and the moose--is there a follow-up obituary for him or did he walk away?

Wall--I'm jealous of the trip.

Two-wheel--I'll pm you; I don't want to hi-jack Wallcrawl's post, but I'm about fifteen minutes south of Lake George and can provide some input.

Mike

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I mapped each of my 19 days in Garmin Base Camp then transferred them all into my Zumo GPS. As a backup I also took along Rand McNally laminated maps for each state I was going to travel through. Didn't use them.

Each day I knew my start and stop points... I followed the magenta line most of the time but did take the odd detour/side trip. Afterward, I just navigated back to my magenta line and followed it to the end point for that day.

Rinse and repeat for 19 days.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I think you'll be find in June. But Given our wacky weather over the last few years, anything is possible.

"Normally", all high country roads and passes are free of snow by early June. With the 4x4 passes being the only exception.

High mountain roads like pikes peak, mt. Evans and trail ridge road in rocky mountain national park are cleared and drivable by Memorial Day.

Cool/cold mornings usually give way to nice warm afternoon, and if we are not stuck in a monsoonal flow pattern, clear skies should follow.

Do you have any planned itineraries yet?

·
Registered
252 Posts
I did Pikes Peak, Mt Evans and Trail Creek Rd in June without any problems. Crossing most of CO was cold though, low 50's whereas south Idaho was baking hot. Only time I was blocked by snow was north Idaho, St Maries Rd I think it was.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Wyoming was good to go in early June last year. My sister lives in Jackson, met her for lunch in Moose, Wyo.

On the deck at Dornan's, t-shirts and shorts weather.

Teton National Park

near Dubois, Wyo

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
MTS,
The picture of the guy and the moose--is there a follow-up obituary for him or did he walk away?

I had drank too much that day! :eek:

Just kiddin Good Lord! :clap:

I believe that is a famous photo shop job! LOL :eek:

Although I have seen some unbelievable things in the park. Some have to do with people getting right next to a Grizzly! :eek:

·
Registered
186 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Twowheels, its a great time, Im also going to do a northeast short tour around that time, should meet up! Im leaving my area and heading east into VT and then NH - ME. Vermont I usually hit the app gap and Lincoln Gap then head east to the White Mountains, do Mt Washington then head east on 302 and back roads all the way to Wells Maine. I get a posh hotel in Ogunquit then head back.

·
Super Moderator
19,002 Posts
Yellowstone park is not a petting zoo, and the animals are not tame! :D

I have no idea what some people are thinking! :eek:
I photographed a grizzly in Banff Nat'l Park from about 20 yards. There were AT LEAST 25 to 30 people between me and the grizz....

:goodluck:

:confused:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts