Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got a new exhaust off ebay (generic) just to try something out. The mid pipe that came with it has 2 challenges:
1- It has an oxygen sensor bung and my 2011 does NOT have an oxygen sensor so I will need to plug it. Noth that much of a big deal as I found an oil drain plug that fits perfectly.
2- The BIG ONE the diameter of the mid pipe where it attaches to the headpipe is the exact same size as the headpipe!:eek::mad: So there is no way it will fit properly!! What should I do? And PLEASE don't tell me to buy a better exhaust:D
Also to make matters worse the spacer/gasket thingy tore up when I removed my stock brick exhaust....:thumbdown: :feedback:

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
Jeff,

Does generic mean it's not Versys specific? Or does it mean it's a no-name product?

The gasket thingie basically heat welds itself to the pipes so you'll certainly need a new one. I can't recall ever hearing of one being salvaged (without leaking grasses).

Sorry I can't offer any miracles regarding the same diameter exhaust pipe-muffler pipe problem. One has to slip into the other more than an inch -including the gasket - and I can't think of a sensible way to make that happen without cutting and welding and, even then, it may not result in an acceptable solution.

Can you return it without losing your shirt?

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Jeff,

Does generic mean it's not Versys specific? Or does it mean it's a no-name product?

The gasket thingie basically heat welds itself to the pipes so you'll certainly need a new one. I can't recall ever hearing of one being salvaged (without leaking grasses).

Sorry I can't offer any miracles regarding the same diameter exhaust pipe-muffler pipe problem. One has to slip into the other more than an inch -including the gasket - and I can't think of a sensible way to make that happen without cutting and welding and, even then, it may not result in an acceptable solution.

Can you return it without losing your shirt?
It was a generic brand supposed to be Versys specific.....

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

·
Registered
41 Posts
You should be able to take the pipe to a muffler shop and have it expanded to fit over your mid pipe.
You can buy exhaust expander tools pretty cheap at the local auto parts store and do it yourself as well.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've seen that pipe before. It's made by Cracker Jack and comes with a prize.
Don't rub it in too much:eek: The ONLY good that has come from this so far is I got a FULL REFUND, shipping included from the seller AND they told me I do NOT have to return the item. SO nothing lost, just the headache of trying to make it work. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
Expand or couple, hook it up and give us a report! :thumb::thumb:

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Holy cow! You got it for free! That is one nice system though. Just have a muffler shop expand it just enough to fit over itself, if it's the exact same outer diameter as the header collector outlet. Just make sure it'll be long enough for when it's slipped in and assembled.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just went to O'Reillys and borrowed an expander........SUCCESS! I'll take some pics and report back when she is running.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Jeff - you are one LUCKY guy! How was D2D? Pics...?
Eddie, D2D was quite a run this year. The TOW highway was 4-6" of slimy MUCK from before Chicken most of the way to Dawson minus a couple stretches of welcome crushed rock construction near Boundary... Around 6 riders went down either coming or going. Thankfully no major injuries. Here is Jim's little write up with some pics. And one UNHAPPY but unhurt motorhome driver:eek:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=988549

Here is some more from my facebook:
https://www.facebook.com/jeff.reichel.1

I'll get around to doing a trip report soon.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Jeff glad you got it to fit i got mine to fit without doing that. BTW it looked good and sounded good seems like i made a mod to the baffle though but like i said in the pm a drunk driver hit me @ 65mph head-on about 11 months ago so might have forgot some details! I wish i still had the close-up pics.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts