Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Are you going to plug the GPS into the Powerlet or connect it under the seat? If you are going to connect the GPS permanently you might want to look at a distribution box under the seat. If you want an outlet within easy reach mount a Powerlet in either side of the console (black plastic panels) and you can get plugs for jsut about anything including Y adapters.

·
Premium Member
16,216 Posts
I just ordered the AKT-001-48 Cigarette Socket Panel Mount Kit from Powerlet to use for GPS,Phone,etc.The also have a plug to convert it to allow heated vest and such.But now that i see the one that mcrider has i like it alot better easy mount and not having to cut the panel

·
Registered
273 Posts
I ordered a gps power cable from GPSCity and wired mine direct. If you want to track elapsed trip time with idle time on your gps, you will need to have it powered all the time.

If it is a power outlet you want, why not mount it in the dash? I bought a step drill from Harbor freight and mounted an $8.00 boat cigarette lighter outlet in the right side of the dash. I wired it direct to the battery with a fused lead at the battery.

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/album.php?albumid=37&pictureid=155

Works well for charging my cell phone while it is in the tankbag.

You could mount a Powerlet receptacle in the same fashion.

·
Registered
1,791 Posts
Mine's in the dash, which works great. It was a bit of a PITA installing it there, but I did it at the same time I did the heated grip switch and fork light switch so it was one big project. I also like mcrider's version...if I have another outlet that's where it will end up going.

·
Premium Member
7,875 Posts
This is my set up, hope its helps.

The Cig Plug-on dash, is wired to the battery with fuse and the GPS is taped from the Cig plug-(below) and has a fuse on the line -GPS LINE-it wa supplied with fuse.
Both work when ingnition is "ON".
:cheers:

Attachments

·
Registered
129 Posts
I'm thinking of mounting a 12v outlet in the dash like I've seen so many people do. But how do you cut the hole? I don't want to crack the dash.

The outlet I've looked at calls for a 1 1/8" hole and I've found a spade drill bit in that size, would that work? :confused:

I also really like what A2Ron did with the underseat mount, I can't figure out how he drilled that hole either

Example of a spade drill bit below

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,875 Posts
Any drilling work will not crack the dash as its a soft plastic, not hard, so start with a small dia drill bit than work your way to the required size. Just take it easy and watch out for the wires below the dash.:goodluck:

:cheers:

·
Registered
273 Posts
But how do you cut the hole? I don't want to crack the dash.

I can't figure out how he drilled that hole either
Use one of these.

I see you have a Harbor Freight in Little Rock. I picked up a pair of these at HF for about $7.00. Works like a charm!

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you going to plug the GPS into the Powerlet or connect it under the seat? If you are going to connect the GPS permanently you might want to look at a distribution box under the seat. If you want an outlet within easy reach mount a Powerlet in either side of the console (black plastic panels) and you can get plugs for jsut about anything including Y adapters.
I just want to make it as simple as possible because I don't plan to keep the GPS on the bike most of the time. It looks like the dash or handlebar setup might make the most sense, but I will have a lot of cord to stow unless I purchase or make a shorter charger cable. Thanks for the pictures guys!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Mine is just like Fastoman and I used the hole drill that bscott used...cost about $5 at Harbor Freight. I have been really happy with it. I got a coiled coax cable and it makes connecting my heated gear a breeze.

·
Registered
2,241 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Mine is just like Fastoman and I used the hole drill that bscott used...cost about $5 at Harbor Freight. I have been really happy with it. I got a coiled coax cable and it makes connecting my heated gear a breeze.
You need heated gear in Georgia! :joke: Sounds like you are a year round rider! I give up when it is below 40 here. It is finally getting warmer today!:D

·
Registered
217 Posts
Forstner bits work well in plastic for the Power-let outlets. Have one on each side of my dash.

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
You need heated gear in Georgia! :joke: Sounds like you are a year round rider! I give up when it is below 40 here. It is finally getting warmer today!:D
We don't have a riding season here. We just take days off when it gets really cold or icey. I will ride in the high 20s, but sometimes it is just too much work for the 20 minute ride to work. Heated gear usually isn't necessary above 35 for the ride to work. The Powerlet and coiled cord made the whole process much easier.

·
Registered
288 Posts
We don't have a riding season here. We just take days off when it gets really cold or icey. I will ride in the high 20s, but sometimes it is just too much work for the 20 minute ride to work. Heated gear usually isn't necessary above 35 for the ride to work. The Powerlet and coiled cord made the whole process much easier.
Yeah, I can agree with that! I don't mind the cold nearly as much as the hassle of getting all the layers on before riding. If it's not long enough to make it worthwhile, I just don't bother. I can ride comfortably in the high 20s, but it takes forever to get the layers off if I stop to eat. It's looking up now though - no freezing weather for us in the 10 day forecast. :clap:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts