Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last year I purchased a used set of luggage and hardware for my Interceptor. Unfortunately it was missing a few pieces and two of them were critical and proprietary, I just couldn't go to the hardware store and get replacements. The seller was willing to take it back but I was determined to make it work so I spent the better part of a year trying to track these two foam rubber spacers down. These pieces sit between the passenger handrails and metal framework of the luggage system. After a few deals going bust a buddy of mine suggested 3D printing. A helpful member of the VFRDiscussion forum sent one of his pieces to a 3D printer in Canada and a few weeks later I had my missing pieces. They scanned one piece and then flipped it in the computer.

The missing piece. If you look closely you can see the ridges created from the printing process.

The new pieces are seated quite nicely to the grab rail and mount.

The used kit was also missing quite a few bolts so I had to run to the hardware store to find replacements. While this doesn't look too bad they are supposed to be allen headed bolts which my original equipment black caps snap over to hide the bolt heads and create a cleaner look.

When all is said and done the project worked even if it is a bit cobbled together. I can now choose between the Interceptor or the Versys when planning a weekend trip or have a second bike for my visiting riding buddies.

·
Super Moderator
19,140 Posts
...The used kit was also missing quite a few bolts so I had to run to the hardware store to find replacements. While this doesn't look too bad they are supposed to be allen headed bolts which my original equipment black caps snap over to hide the bolt heads and create a cleaner look....
I replaced the 'socket-head' fairing bolts on my '08 in a similar fashion.

IMG_0248copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0247copy by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I think they look better now.

:thumb:

·
Registered
4,626 Posts
Last year I purchased a used set of luggage and hardware for my Interceptor. Unfortunately it was missing a few pieces and two of them were critical and proprietary, I just couldn't go to the hardware store and get replacements. The seller was willing to take it back but I was determined to make it work so I spent the better part of a year trying to track these two foam rubber spacers down. These pieces sit between the passenger handrails and metal framework of the luggage system. After a few deals going bust a buddy of mine suggested 3D printing. A helpful member of the VFRDiscussion forum sent one of his pieces to a 3D printer in Canada and a few weeks later I had my missing pieces. They scanned one piece and then flipped it in the computer.

The missing piece. If you look closely you can see the ridges created from the printing process.

The new pieces are seated quite nicely to the grab rail and mount.

The used kit was also missing quite a few bolts so I had to run to the hardware store to find replacements. While this doesn't look too bad they are supposed to be allen headed bolts which my original equipment black caps snap over to hide the bolt heads and create a cleaner look.

When all is said and done the project worked even if it is a bit cobbled together. I can now choose between the Interceptor or the VFR when planning a weekend trip or have a second bike for my visiting riding buddies.
Nice. Aren't the Interceptor and the VFR the same bike?

Now you area ready for a nice tour whenever they let you cross the state lines.

I was in Suches, GA this past weekend with a hundred other motorcyclist that came to ride the area but couldn't stay in Tennessee or North Carolina. Some making a 300 mile circuit to go ride the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice. Aren't the Interceptor and the VFR the same bike?

Now you area ready for a nice tour whenever they let you cross the state lines.

I was in Suches, GA this past weekend with a hundred other motorcyclist that came to ride the area but couldn't stay in Tennessee or North Carolina. Some making a 300 mile circuit to go ride the Dragon and Cherohala Skyway.
Whoops! Good catch, I fixed it, meant to type "Interceptor or the Versys". Between the two I would take the Versys on an extended tour or trip, it's way, way more comfortable. Plus it has heated grips, ABS, longer range, more fuel efficient, handles strong crosswinds better and it's lighter. Still, it's nice to have a choice and the VFR has it's virtues as well.

·
Registered
806 Posts
Hmmmm....

I may have to escape up there midweek. I do like TWoS. And Jimmy's Smokin' Q, and Telico Grains Bakery, and Betty's Market, and Wolf Pen Gap, and War Woman Rd, and Wayah Rd, and Cherohala, and TN 68, and++...

Reactions: twowheeladdict

·
Registered
4 Posts
That is awesome! I love how 3D printing can help in these kinds of scenarios. Enjoy your touring days!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts