Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been reading up on when I should replace my chain and have come across the "try pulling the chain off the rear sprocket" test in multiple places. Most say if it comes off "too much" (or something to that effect) then replace it. Since I really have no reference (this would be my first time dealing with a stretched chain) I'm trying to find out how much is too much. I can pull mine off about 1.5mm and barely see the "trough" of the sprocket teeth. Is this "too much?" Just for reference- the bike has 13k miles and both sprockets look fine (one of the previous two owners changed the rear to a 44t and looks like he replaced or removed the front t some point). I keep it well lubed and tensioned, and overall "looks" good. Thanks! -Chad

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
if your chain is rusty or noisy and needing retention a lot then it might need replaced.
manual says chain slack should be measured at the middle of the bottom and should be 25-35mm (1-1.4in)
my policy is if i pull up on the chain the the rear sprocket and can see more then 1/2 the sprocket tooth (of a good sprocket not a worn round one) its time to order a new chain and retention the current one

·
Registered
3,519 Posts
You can examine your chain by taking it off and running it through your hands. You can feel if the links pliable. You can also turn it side to side. :eek:

If the links are stuck this is not good. If you have too much side to side this is also not good. Look at fasteddies chain life! They can go a long time! :thumb:

Try not to let your chain get too loose ever!

·
Registered
2009 Kawasaki Versys KLE650
87 Posts
You can examine your chain by taking it off and running it through your hands. You can feel if the links pliable. You can also turn it side to side. :eek:

If the links are stuck this is not good. If you have too much side to side this is also not good. Look at fasteddies chain life! They can go a long time! :thumb:

Try not to let your chain get too loose ever!
Let's also be fair and say "Never tighten your chain too much!"

It puts wear on the counter shaft bearings, and under load of rider, passenger, and cargo, can cause it to prematurely elongate.

I'm a big guy, and learned early in my career that I had to get good at replacing stretched chain, or learn to leave more slack and keep it lubricated regularly.

I stay on the loose side of spec.

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the advice guys! I think going with the "half of a sprocket tooth" description, I'm pretty close to replacement. I'll probably go ahead and start ordering stuff and have it ready for the next rainy weekend. -Chad

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
Have been guilty of running chain to much on tight side and cut out first chain at 27,000km as well has sprockets were stuffed but think it did not help putting 44 t rear on at 15,000km, trying to take a bit more care on 2nd set of chain in sprockets which have 15,000km on.

·
Super Moderator
19,023 Posts
Thanks for the advice guys! I think going with the "half of a sprocket tooth" description, I'm pretty close to replacement. I'll probably go ahead and start ordering stuff and have it ready for the next rainy weekend. -Chad
Chad - when you check the chain by pulling at it at the rear - be SURE to hold it down w/ your other hand, about midway to remove any slack!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts