Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this great article explaining how to break-in your engine and the science behind it. I want to be cautious but have been told to not be. This cleared it all up for me. I know there are others out there in my boat. www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm.

·
Registered
191 Posts
It's credible and it's a very safe break-in program. There are also a site whereby they thrashed the engine from new (with proper lubricant) and there no adverse effect to the engine too. However following the bike manual would be a good start

·
Registered
3,350 Posts
Ditto !!!

All this being said, this is a dangerous topic, you will see ...
Almost as much has "What kind of lube for the chain"

LOP
Yep. Or what's the best tire or what's the best saddle or what's the best windshield or tank bag or saddlebags? During a recent RSBFPO (Religiously Significant Blinding Flash of the Patently Obvious), it was revealed to me that there is no universal "best" anything. Oh the agony!! :D:D

·
Registered
642 Posts
...more seriously though.

I would like to have data before not following the manual that was written by the company that made the machine. In this case, there is precious little data to allow for decisions about break-in methods.

When I talk about data I mean numbers and graphs and things. In this case perhaps statistics on engine failures due to "blow-by" that we solved with a different break-in method. I am certain that this data will not be forthcoming.

On the other hand, some modifications actually come with data. For example watt-man can show you precisely what the Thermo-Bob will do to your Versys. Of course, there is no data to support whether this change is a good thing or a bad thing for the life or your machine, but I do know that my Versys will actually warm up when I ride in freezing temperatures.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I found this great cheap lingeries article explaining how to break-in your engine and the science behind it. I want to be cautious but have been told to not be. This cleared it all up for me. I know there are others out there in my boat. .
Thanks for sharing this wonderful article link.. We need to understand the vehicle which we are using in our daily life. Thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts