Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've looked through both the service and user manuals and can't find any reference for the process to program additional keys.

Google returned some hits mentioning the need for a red key in the event you only have one of the original keys (not an issue for me since I have both originals).

Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
? No idea what your talking about. What bike are you asking about? Mine just came with 2 keys and no red key? They are just keys no programming needed

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
Must be a Versys 1000 thing? My 2011 650 just has regular ole' OEM keys with no fancy chip or whatnot.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Keys? Mine came with the usual fingerprint bio-metric starter...

I don' need no stinkin' keys...

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Christ on a pony, everyone's a comedian

2014 Versys 1000. As I understand it there's an engine immobilizer just like on many cars that needs to have a programmed key for it to operate properly.

If you put in the unprogramed key the bike will start but after 10-15 seconds will cut out.

·
Registered
1,598 Posts
I think they put chips on high hp brick's so they know every time they are going over 100 mph: local government revenue enhancer. A thief is going to bypass that anyway, so I'd convert it even if I don't ever do over 100 mph (that's a brick's power range.) A conversion will cost less than hoping for a dumb thief who uses a key of any kind. ymmv

·
Registered
1,520 Posts
Christ on a pony, everyone's a comedian

2014 Versys 1000. As I understand it there's an engine immobilizer just like on many cars that needs to have a programmed key for it to operate properly.

If you put in the unprogramed key the bike will start but after 10-15 seconds will cut out.
Yeahhhhh I TRY to be careful with my sarcasm...it usually points to an area of ignorance on my part. :teetertooter:

·
Registered
3,380 Posts
Not trying to be a comedian, but can't a Kawasaki dealer help you?

Seems no one here, at least thus far, has an answer.

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
Not trying to be a comedian, but can't a Kawasaki dealer help you?

Seems no one here, at least thus far, has an answer.
one would think.... but i bet they would have to keep your bike for 6 months whale they wait for it to be shipped over from japan :3

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Wasn't trying to be a comedian, most of us here have the 650 which doesn't have the immobilizer which is why I asked you what bike.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts