Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anybody had any problems with the locking gas cap?? my gas cap is now 100% unopenable. this is a very sad thing seeing its not even a year old and only 3000 miles on it. now its in the dealership because my friend snaped the key off in it trying to open it up. anybody have a simmiler issue?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I've got 2200 miles or so, I think I've got to push down on the cap while turning the key. I know for sure to lock it back up I've got to push firmly down to get the key to turn.

·
Registered
530 Posts
Keep it lubed - you shouldn't have a problem with it.

Secondly - there is a method to inserting your key into the hole. This works on the ignition as well. Look at the key slot - next to the slit is a half-moon indention. Insert your key into that and not the key slot itself.

What this does is slides the key hole door to the right. It's a slide not a swinging door.

My dealer explained this to me before I rode off the lot - he said it's his #1 repair complaint.

Keep it lubed (spray some graphite or wd-40) and insert the key properly and you won't have any problems.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i was placing so much downward pressure on it my feet were off the ground.... what i think happened is possible one of the pins inside the lock acctually broke but we will see what the dealer says when i get it back. the down side is the only dealer close to my house the service department is the most clueless people in the world

·
Registered
79 Posts
The other thing to check and lube occasionally is the rubber seal on the underside. My Honda ST 1300 was starting to stick and a little lube and that was that.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I've got 2200 miles or so, I think I've got to push down on the cap while turning the key. I know for sure to lock it back up I've got to push firmly down to get the key to turn.
I have to do the same thing to lock it, I'm at 3500 KM.

·
Registered
131 Posts
So far I have not had any troubles, but the whole mechanism does seem a bit tricky at times. I catch myself trying to move the cap with the key and have to remind myself that it is not a pry bar and I should be pushing and pulling on the cap itself, not the key. I'll have to try some lube as well.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Check your vent tube. If it is clogged, it will cause a vacuum in the tank and "suck" the cap down onto the seal.

·
Registered
217 Posts
Just have to keep it lubed. A locksmith told me the best thing is the spray dry lube in this southern humidity. Gave all my bikes a shot last month. Much smoother key action in all.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Make sure the key is not bent. I bent the key and had a hard time opening the gas cap. I switched keys and all was fine but I am now way more careful with the key. With a little finess it should be fine for the life of the bike.

·
Registered
754 Posts
Just have to keep it lubed. A locksmith told me the best thing is the spray dry lube in this southern humidity. Gave all my bikes a shot last month. Much smoother key action in all.
All my bikes? Look at Badtat rockin the stable. Must be nice. I do have a Versys and a Chrystler Town and Country though...captains chairs and all.:p

·
Registered
146 Posts
Keep it lubed - you shouldn't have a problem with it.

Secondly - there is a method to inserting your key into the hole. This works on the ignition as well. Look at the key slot - next to the slit is a half-moon indention. Insert your key into that and not the key slot itself.

What this does is slides the key hole door to the right. It's a slide not a swinging door.

My dealer explained this to me before I rode off the lot - he said it's his #1 repair complaint.
This is the best thing I've learned on this site yet. Thanks man!

·
Registered
1,007 Posts
Do NOT turn the key.

Just push it down.

It may need lubing, but all motorcycle gas caps like this (its a standard across many brands), you just push it down not touching the key then remove the key.

Machog

·
Registered
109 Posts
Mine would stick about once a month. Keep it lubed and follow the advice given. I ride mine regardless of the weather (7,000 miles). Seemed to stick more after a few days of wet riding. Last oil change I was in the garage and noticed a tube of fishing reel lube in one of my boxes. It is waterproof and contains graphite, so far so good.

Dan

·
Registered
129 Posts
On my way home from school tonight, I stopped to get some gas and couldn't get my gas cap unlocked. I was freaking out, thinking it might be jammed. After finding this thread, I lubed it with some wd-40 I had. The cap has always been sticky and I had to play with it to open it. I thought it was just a motorcycle thing. But after lubing it, it works like a charm now, very smooth and easy.

I just wanted to say :thanx:, this forum rocks.

·
Registered
19 Posts
my gas cap almost totally locked up, the key would only move a little bit so i soaked it in wd-40, still nothing, the only way i fixed it was filling the key hole with lube and kept trying to turn the key back and forth, after about a minute it broke loose a little, i just kept turning it back and forth until it was buttery smooth. 8 months later still working fine. i did notice before it locked up, a white powdery corrosion build up on the inside of the key hole cover. so maybe watch out for that.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.