Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

I have bought a new 2020 Versys 650 SE about 4 months ago. The bike is great and I am enjoying every second on it. However I am having problems with getting a center stand on my V.

I have bought 2 different center stands to date, 1 from Constands and 1 from SW Motech. With both i have been running into problems up to the point I had to return both after not being able to get them to fit.
The first one I bought was the Constands one (which looks suspiciously similar to a genuine SW Motech one). The problem with this one was that the plate that has to be installed underneath the foot peg plate (the aluminum plate that the foot peg connects to), had a hole misaligned. After contacting the store (and them not being able to help with the problem) I returned it with the idea that it was due to cheap quality (Constands is, as far as I can tell, a bit of a bang for your buck kind of brand).
As a result of the 1st center stand not working out I decided to not cheap out on this and buy myself a genuine SW Motech one, thinking that this being a premium brand this center stand will surely fit without problem. Turns out the exact opposite is true. The problems I have had with the SW Motech one includes: bolts not properly threaded, holes not aligning and nothing fits together without using a hammer and substantial force. After contacting the store (and them not being able to help either) I returned this one aswell.

My questions are as follows;
  • Has anyone experienced similar problems with their center stand or am I alone in this?
  • Does anyone have a recommendation about a good center stand? The only one I can still try is a Hepco & Becker one (haven't found any other ones available in Europe)
  • Could the problem be the motorcycle? I have asked my dealer this question and they just told me it was due to buying a low quality center stand (referring to the Constands one) and the completely ignored the fact that the SW Motech had even more problems.

P.s. I am new to the forum so apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Hello,

I have bought a new 2020 Versys 650 SE about 4 months ago. The bike is great and I am enjoying every second on it. However I am having problems with getting a center stand on my V.

I have bought 2 different center stands to date, 1 from Constands and 1 from SW Motech. With both i have been running into problems up to the point I had to return both after not being able to get them to fit.
The first one I bought was the Constands one (which looks suspiciously similar to a genuine SW Motech one). The problem with this one was that the plate that has to be installed underneath the foot peg plate (the aluminum plate that the foot peg connects to), had a hole misaligned. After contacting the store (and them not being able to help with the problem) I returned it with the idea that it was due to cheap quality (Constands is, as far as I can tell, a bit of a bang for your buck kind of brand).
As a result of the 1st center stand not working out I decided to not cheap out on this and buy myself a genuine SW Motech one, thinking that this being a premium brand this center stand will surely fit without problem. Turns out the exact opposite is true. The problems I have had with the SW Motech one includes: bolts not properly threaded, holes not aligning and nothing fits together without using a hammer and substantial force. After contacting the store (and them not being able to help either) I returned this one aswell.

My questions are as follows;
  • Has anyone experienced similar problems with their center stand or am I alone in this?
  • Does anyone have a recommendation about a good center stand? The only one I can still try is a Hepco & Becker one (haven't found any other ones available in Europe)
  • Could the problem be the motorcycle? I have asked my dealer this question and they just told me it was due to buying a low quality center stand (referring to the Constands one) and the completely ignored the fact that the SW Motech had even more problems.
P.s. I am new to the forum so apologies if this is posted in the wrong section.
difficult to say. these things are not so easy to install. the sw motech interferes with the side stand, unless they changed the design. I think Hepco is good. I myself installed T-rex because it allows the adjustment of the hight of the main stand. it works good for me.

·
Registered
855 Posts
I have the Hepco and Becker on '15. It fits just fine, sort of. The bolts all lined up just fine but the bracket requires that the drive chain has to be adjusted just perfectly to minimum spec. I like my chain on the loose side of spec so I took a die grinder and ground away some of the bracket. You will see where the interference is once mounted.

No worries, the HB is way over built.

I do not have a skid plate so I can't help with interference on any of those.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you for your replies. I guess I will try the H&B center stand and hope it will fit properly.

·
Registered
71 Posts
My experience matches Steve’s with the H & B center stand. It bolted right up without problem. However, some grinding for chain clearance is required. Also, check the fasteners every once and awhile. I’ve retightened the pivot bolts a couple of times and the mounting bracket on the chain side once. In three riding seasons.
Having said that, it is still the single best thing I have purchased for the bike. By far.
Cheers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
The problems I have had with the SW Motech one includes: bolts not properly threaded, holes not aligning and nothing fits together without using a hammer and substantial force.
I installed SW motech center stand last week. There are two incredibly stupid design flaws which ruin the whole experience, despite the rest of the process is super-smooth.
First

15 - according to the picture, there should be no problem installing them. Unfortunately, you can't install these easily without fully removing the side stand (they forgot to add it to the picture, how convenient!). With side stand in place - it's a nightmare to tighten these bolts as no key can fit into that space. It took me AN HOUR to put these two bolts in place and I'm sure I ruined the thread!

And second stupidity -- where do I get a special tool to install a spring??? Why could not SW-MOTECH include that stupid tool considering high price tag for their product?
Instead, the a little change could make my life much easier - they could make this

part flat so I can use a regular flathead screwdriver to install the spring -- and another hour of my time could be saved.

Attachments

·
Registered
46 Posts
Maybe kawi made some changes. I had no problems installing the Constands on a '15. I think the quality of the Constands is better than SW Motech. Nicer looking welds. I didn't have to remove the side stand to install.

·
Registered
552 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Maybe kawi made some changes. I had no problems installing the Constands on a '15. I think the quality of the Constands is better than SW Motech. Nicer looking welds. I didn't have to remove the side stand to install.
According to all the official information i found the 2020 versys should be the same gen 3 as the 2015 one (just different colour schemes).
Regarding the quality, in hindside I agree. But at the time I thought that my problems with it where maybe because it was a cheap quality rip-off of the SW-Motech(SW-M) one (the price difference of ~€80 helped a lot with this assumption). After I returned the Constands one and bought a center stand from SW-M I found out that indeed the Constands center stand is better quality.

A couple of good tips here for the SW-M: 2015 Kawasaki Versys 650 Center Stand Review
Thanks for the info but as I said my center stand from SW-M just had a lot of problems, bolts not being properly threaded (to the point I couldn't even get them fitted on a normal nut), holes not lining up and nothing fitting together without the use of significant force.

I probably got unlucky and had a center stand that shouldn't have gotten through QC.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I installed a Trex centerstand on my V650. It worked well and i did not have to make any modifications. But full disclosure, i was also running an Ixil exhaust on my bike.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Same here, Trex. I like that its hight can be adjusted if one lowers the bike. Unless, Sw Motech changed their design, it interferes with the kickstand.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I installed the Constands on my 2015 V 650 (r.i.p). Great product and well made. Crap instructions, but that’s typical. Only problem piece was the bracket thingy that went beneath the bike. To make it fit I had to put in in a vice before it correctly aligned.

The springs were a PITA. Used a trampoline spring extender thing, with my neighbor holding the bike and front brake on, me with a leg against the rear wheel pulling like crazy to the spring on.

The centerstand worked like a charm from day one and never gave me a problem.
Dave

·
Registered
204 Posts
I installed a T-Rex Racing stand and had to have a bracket replaced due to a comically poor weld on the spring perch, which fell off the thing almost immediately. Its been a year with the all the right parts and its a solid kit, but the bike leans a bit to the right on even ground.... for sure the budget option but USA made at least

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
one thing to consider is the T-rex centre stand is SO much heavier than H&B. I have T-rex but I got Hepco for a friend, and the parcel was so light that I doubted that it contains an actual main stand. It is also the most minimalistic of the stands on the market. I would think that H&B is the way to go. i am not sure about it being too close to the chain. maybe they improved the design?

·
Registered
855 Posts
one thing to consider is the T-rex centre stand is SO much heavier than H&B. I have T-rex but I got Hepco for a friend, and the parcel was so light that I doubted that it contains an actual main stand. It is also the most minimalistic of the stands on the market. I would think that H&B is the way to go. i am not sure about it being too close to the chain. maybe they improved the design?
Quite possible. My H&B was anything but light but have no way of comparing to a T Rex.

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
Quite possible. My H&B was anything but light but have no way of comparing to a T Rex.
I think i would not be exaggerating too much if i said that T-rex is double the weight, as was the Thai copy of Sw-motech; there is just so many metal brackets there. the nice thing about T-rex is that it can be adjusted when you lower the bike, as I did.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Good day all
A new [to me] 2019 vers 650 guy here. loving it. can't believe it's only a 650 honestly. I'm amazed the torque and accel.
Like many I'm looking for a centre stand (and can't believe why kawa doesn't provide one).

Ready to order an sw-motech - they are just back in stock.
Reference thread above... orig post was for a 2020. I've got a 2019... similar qu...
-- anyone with a 2019 specifically install the motech? any issues on 2019? (i'm convinced there's something different about the 19 and 20, vs. 17 and 18, as it's listed as a different part for fitment).
-- if anyone has looked at the last page of the install guide... the part where they want you to cut a piece off with a saw? ?? has anyone dont that? not a fan of that idea...
(for ref, see pg.9 ... https://sw-motech.us/cosmoshop/default/artikelpdf/hps_08_518_10002_b.pdf)

i kinda feel when you have to cut parts off your bike, maybe the part isn't compatible!??

·
Registered
16 Posts
Help! please! ??
Didn't get any responses from back in the summer, but hoping someone has bought the motech center stand and installed it by now... I'm in the midst of it... motech with a 2019 versys 650.

I was a bit perplexed... I'm fairly technically inclined, work on outboard motors, but wow... those instructions.

A few questions for anyone reading...

1-loctite -- i know it says to use it. I'm hesitant. If you ever need to get something off, it's... you know. If the stuff that needs to be torqued is torqued as such - really necessary?

2- long bolt through the bike -- in mine, the nut is on the right and the bolt comes out the left. The instructions say to put the 'replacement bolt' in through the right and the bolt on the left (opposite original install). Is this what you did? I just want to ensure there's not something different between years or instructions etc. (and the long bolt and nut REPLACE the original? they won't go back on the bike?)

3- side stand - I watched a vid on youtube where the guy suspended his bike with ropes from the garage ceiling because he said you have to lift the side stand to tighten something. I'm not there yet... but not seeing how that would be... anyone else?

Quick replies most appreciated!

·
Super Moderator
20,932 Posts
1. I use just a SMALL drop of Loctite (blue) when I use it on my bolts:
2. On my crash-bars I had to put the bolt in from the OPPOSITE side from the instructions, to get the nut to where I could put a socket onto it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts