Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Super Moderator
18,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A week ago I noticed an anomaly when I gassed up: when I started the bike, instead of six "fuel segments" on the left side of the instruments, I got ONLY five despite the fact that I'd filled it UP to the top, and it took a 'few miles' before it went to six.

Then yesterday after my ride, filling it after a total of 480 kms ridden, when I started it, ALL six flashed OFF and ON simultaneously for a few minutes, then it went to JUST the bottom segment showing full (ONE of six!), and various combinations like that till I got home [but showing ONE segment again as I shut it OFF!].

Today when I went to water the garden, it showed FIVE segments as I started it, then back to SIX during my short ride.

Does anyone have any thoughts, or experiences similar to this, or ANY idea of what's wrong???

·
Premium Member
9,056 Posts
Scary Stuff

Well Ed, I opened my PDF 2015 service manual exactly at 16-73, unbelievable, what is more, read the instructions, English not the best. It says something of a short taking place. Next go to 16-77, even scarier, it shows the fuel pump and float being bench tested with a meter. Has some resistance values. One thing I can tell you, it is normal to go from 5 bars to six after fueling. Part of it is bringing the battery voltage up to 14.2 VDC.

·
Super Moderator
18,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Crap! After this I'll go and check the grounds - HOPE it's only THAT!

...One thing I can tell you, it is normal to go from 5 bars to six after fueling. Part of it is bringing the battery voltage up to 14.2 VDC....
As it went from ZERO bars, then flashing all SIX, etc. I HOPE it's just a ground....

·
Super Moderator
18,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I started taking the bike apart yesterday, my SERVICE MANUAL open at Chapter 16, reading what I figured I needed to look at. First I removed the gas tank which is FULL, and carried it to my workbench. In the MANUAL it mentions checking the 'fuel level readings' at FULL and at EMPTY

7 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

so I figured that OBVIOUSLY I would be able to get THAT reading easily, and figured I could turn the gas-tank OVER THEN w/ my wife's help get the resistance readings which SHOULD equate to an empty tank reading.

9 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

For anyone who's removed their gas tank and had fuel seepage from the fuel-line, STINKING-UP the shop, I came up w/ an idea to BLOCK that fuel drip, by using a tubeless tire rubber valve, and It "worked a treat"!!!

1 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

2 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

NOW for the readings:

3 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I got 27.6 Ohms for the FULL reading (vs the book's 9 to 11 Ohms full), and 183 to 199 for my INVERTED tank empty reading (vs the book's 213 to 219).

10 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
18,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Then I was able to get in touch w/ onewizard on the phone, and the two of us, w/ SERVICE MANUALs open at the same page, discussed the situation. By reading the wiring diagram for the fuel system, Glen was able to tell me that the FACT that I'd been able to ride w/ my FLASHING indicators indicated that it was probably a gauge malfunction, NOT an injector issue.

8 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I took a couple of pics of the shop, then poured myself a Martini and watched TV, planning to finish TODAY!

4 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

5 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

After a morning walk I got back "at it", cleaned my air filter, re-installed it

6 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

got the tank and fairings back on, then started it up. Everything was working OK (EVEN the gas gauge was normal - altho' I won't claim it as FIXED until I take it for a ride. MAYBE TOMORROW!

:cool:

·
Super Moderator
18,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've been on a few rides since the last post:
initial comment - the gas gauge started out w/ ALL SIX of the "fuel segments" ON (black), and the "trip computor" working correctly, so TWO THUMBS UP! - looked as tho' I had "FIXED" the problem, which I have to assume was by INVERTING THE GAS TANK WHILE CHECKING THE RESISTANCE OF THE FUEL SENSOR FLOAT....:confused:

10 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

I'm NOW at just over 144 kms on that "fill", and STILL showing SIX fuel segments BLACK, altho' it DID go down to FIVE fuel segments for a bit, and then returned to SIX fuel segments, so I expect from my fuel mileage history that the 144 kms SHOULD have used about 5 to 6 L of gas (which is MORE than I'd expect ONE fuel segment to be good for), so whether the problem is FIXED or NOT is "up in the air".

Raining like hell today (and yesterday) so it'll be awhile before I continue using gas, and checking SEGMENTS....

:confused:

·
Super Moderator
18,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Still raining today, but I needed to go to pick-up books at the library (FIVE Lee Child books 'starring' Jack Reacher) so here's the latest:
the top fuel segment disappeared at 150 kms, then the second went at 186 kms, which strikes me as NOT correct.

I ride w/ my 'trip computor' on RANGE, and it was showing 460 kms to empty, so added to the 186...? 646 kms which I do NOT believe is possible.

HOWEVER the 'segments' are NOT flashing, the 'trip computor' SEEMS to be working even if NOT correct in TOTAL, so my immediate PLAN is to continue, using 'trip ODO A' as my fuel gauge - just like we did in the OLD DAYS!

My fingers are CROSSED, but I suspect a new fuel pump is in my future because I suspect the 'fuel float' is binding on that pivot point.

9 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

·
Super Moderator
18,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I've put some more 'miles' on the GREEN HORNET TOO, and I'm starting to feel that the fuel gauge is OK.

Yesterday I had it showing TWO segments 'gone' (FOUR black) but 'flickering' between FOUR and THREE, so, the 235 kms divided by the 10.1L gas I added works out to 23.4 kms/L, or 66 mpgImp (52.8 mpgUS). I can put about 22.6L into my tank (to the TOP!), which would equal 529 kms to EMPTY, SO-O-O - the 10.1L IS a bit under HALF a tank, and the TRIP COMPUTOR flicking between FOUR and THREE black segments sounds about right, tho' DIFFERENT from my experience on this V650's TRIP COMPUTOR over the last FIVE years.

IMG_0597 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

IMG_0598 by Ed Copeman, on Flickr

My fingers are CROSSED that I ACTUALLY fixed the problem when I turned the FULL gas-tank OVER to check the resistance on the 'float arm'.

·
Super Moderator
18,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Did some riding yesterday and today: FIRST segment disappeared at 175kms, while the SECOND 'went' at 235 kms.

Going riding tomorrow so I hope to update this after I get back home.

·
Super Moderator
18,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I went riding and kept track of the odometer readings (ODO "TRIP A") as the segments disappeared:
THAT second segment I mentioned above, came on BLACK again, then went CLEAR at 245 kms;
THIRD went at 305 kms;
FOURTH at 366 kms, so I headed for a gas station and filled at 386.1 kms, taking 14.71L, so mileage was 26.25 km/L (74.04 mpgImp - 59.24 mpgUS), and I also established how MUCH EXTRA fuel I get in, by filling to the TOP of the neck = 1.3L, so MY V650 holds 23.3L (to the TOP), giving a range to EMPTY [that day...!] of 611.8 kms, and IF I had continued rather than refilling, I might've gone another 225.7 kms to "starting walking".

The TRIP COMPUTOR seems to work in a different fashion than it DID before my "issues", but I feel pretty confident that I can trust it by cross-checking w/ "mileage-since-fill" on ODA "TRIP A".

·
Super Moderator
18,997 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Out riding yesterday, and the first segment turning from BLACK to clear occurred again around 175 kms, so I'm expecting it's "ALL OK".

:)

·
Super Moderator
18,997 Posts
1 - 13 of 13 Posts