Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, my Versys manual says that position 5 out of 7 is for a 150lbs rider with no gear. I weigh about 195lbs so would I want to higher or lower than this as a starting point, I am thinking higher? Thanks,

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
You should be good at position #3 like I am at, and rebound damping at 12 clicks out from 'H' hardest setting for decent compliancy. I'm 190 lbs and it's enough to prevent bottoming out on the worst roads at speed.
My forks were at maximum preload (1/2 turn out rebound damping) to prevent bottoming out with stock 10W fork oil. It's better now with 15W fork oil at 3 turns from maximum preload (7/8 turn out rebound damping).

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm on 3 now but it lowered the bike quite a bit and the cornering seams a bit softer... I didn't change the damping though...

·
Registered
7,979 Posts
I find it's too stiff on #4 to properly absorb road irregularities. Backing off rebound damping helps too. What are your forks at?

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Hi all, my Versys manual says that position 5 out of 7 is for a 150lbs rider with no gear. I weigh about 195lbs so would I want to higher or lower than this as a starting point, I am thinking higher? Thanks,
Your thinking is correct, or maybe would have been correct, had Kawasaki really put a spring that required that much pre-load. In reality, that spring is way too stiff for someone weighing 150 lbs. to set the pre-load that high. Based on what I have read here, even guys in the 200 lbs. range don't set their pre-load to #5.

The best solution is to measure your sag and set it up based on how much you compress the suspension:

http://www.kawasakiversys.com/forums/showthread.php?t=705

Gustavo

1 - 5 of 5 Posts