Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am due for a chain/sprocket replacement and I ordered this:
JT Sprockets JTSK2006 with 520X1R Chain

Now I've realized it says it only fits 2010-12 Versys - is it true?
What's the difference?
Why's it so tricky to find a set?

Also, any idea if this comes with a rivet link? I don't see it pictured or in description, but wouldn't it be weird if it didn't?

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
7,968 Posts
It should include a rivet master link. It also fits 2007-2009 Versys 650. It's just not a high quality set. You could still get an OEM damped front sprocket with all the money you saved... You can always get a good chain next time.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I was trying to think what could be different, glad to hear that's likely the case.

I seem to go through chains quickly anyhow - but yeah, better chain next time.

Might need to wait on the better sprocket too, as I've got a trip on Friday and need to get it all worked out in time.

I can't seem to find the oem sprocket (those documents are always like mazes... which system is it a part of? *sigh*), but I guess the dampening extends life/improves feel?

In any event, this will also be my first sprocket change.

I've found a few video's and walk through, but have a question or two as well:

One walk through said grease the axle - this stuff?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000WK8VV8/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

EDIT: Oh weird... somehow my message edit got clipped.

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
...Now I've realized it says it only fits 2010-12 Versys - is it true?
What's the difference?
Why's it so tricky to find a set?...
In my experience ('08, '09 and '15 V650s) they're identical, and ALL the countershaft sprockets I've installed are 'bare', not rubber-damped, and for ME that's not been a problem.

...Also, any idea if this comes with a rivet link? I don't see it pictured or in description, but wouldn't it be weird if it didn't?...
The chain I installed on my '08 a couple of years back ONLY came w/ a NON-rivet master-link, so I installed it, using my chain tool to 'compress' the side-link to the same width as the other (solid) links in the chain. Then I 'slid' the retainer piece on, and GENTLY expanded (peened) the ends of the two pins w/ my chain tool to ensure it stayed 'retained'.

I always "paint" a link to give me a start/finish point when I'm lubing the chain, or measuring 'slack'.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It came with both a rivet and a non-rivet master link.

I just installed the rivet master link and it seems on one of the two pins I over-comressed, causing a crack.
Unfortunately the extra link I bought on amazon is for X1R chain not and X1R^2 chain.

Do ya'll think it's better to keep the cracked rivet link, remove it and switch to the non-rivet link?

·
Super Moderator
18,828 Posts
...I just installed the rivet master link and it seems on one of the two pins I over-comressed, causing a crack.
Do ya'll think it's better to keep the cracked rivet link, remove it and switch to the non-rivet link?
IF it is REALLY cracked, I would remove it and put either another rivet link, or use the non-rivet link the way I did mine.

:goodluck:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts