Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all --

Let me preface this by admitting that I have practically no knowledge when it comes to electrical systems on vehicles. So I am going to describe what I experienced with my 2008 Versys this morning and I'm hoping you'll suggest things I can check.

I rode the bike to work and back home yesterday. I used my heated gear for the first time this fall during the ride -- a Tourmaster Synergy heated vest plugged into a Powerlet socket installed on the dash. Things were fine, the bike started right up each time, my heated vest worked great turned up to high.

Went out this morning to get on the bike to ride to work. The bike started fine. Plugged my heated vest into the Powerlet socket on my dash, clicked the on button, and.... nothing. No power to the vest at all.

Okay, I have a second Powerlet outlet on the side of the bike that I use for the battery tender, so I plugged the vest into that. Nothing. No power there, either.

What the heck? Is it the vest or the bike? To find out, I got my battery tender and plugged it into the side Powerlet socket. The battery tender's red LED flashed continuously, indicating that the battery was not connected to the tender.

So what did I do? Is this likely to be a fuse problem? Is something shorted somewhere? Or, in reading the recent threads about stators and regulator/rectifier failures, is *that* what might be going on?

Again, I'm pretty clueless about electrical stuff, so if you want, you can laugh at me and then use very small words (I *might* be able to understand)

Thanks!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
901 Posts
Sounds like a fuse assuming that both outlets are on one circuit. Track down the fuse (probably inline) and check it. With out knowing exactly how the outlets are wired to the bike its little hard to diagnose but those are very simple circuits should be wired directly to the battery with a fuse inline somewhere.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,188 Posts
The Fuse would go first before any of the sensitive circuits or relays. Check them fuses and you'll probably find one that is burnt. Check current usage of the equipment versus the the fuse rating.
 
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Top