Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyone who has a power adapter on your bike (i.e. powerlet cigarette lighter) how long of a wire lead did you need? I am trying to order one right now but am unsure. And did you add it in by the battery or off the headlight, or something else? Just need to power a GPS or charge a phone. Other than that, I have 65w bulbs. So between the two, I am still not stressing the electrical system too much.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I just ordered one today, I used the option to select it by vehicle and ordered the one that came up for the Versys...I guess I just assumed it will be the right one :eek:

·
Super Moderator
19,152 Posts
My suggestion is that you run it (fused) from the battery, through a relay triggered by something that's ON when your ignition is ON (ie: daytime running lights on either side of the headlights). That way nobody can mess with it when the bike's unattended.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have a power socket (DIN type) installed in the dash, connected via a fused cable directly to the battery. The cable length is 1.5 metres.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1.5 metres...darn you, now I have to do math.....

The GPS is mounted above the speedo, so I was thinking the outlet would be best on the black plastic around the whole dash. Probably right side.

I was thinking of just ordering the 48" kit like you did, Dakota. But wanted to make sure 48" was enough.

·
Registered
323 Posts
I got the cig adapter and the longer option for the lead -i had about 5 inches extra after running it up the fairing. I wrapped the extra alongside the batter housing. Very sturdy cig adapter and am happy with it.

·
Premium Member
7,811 Posts

conneted direct to battery with online fuse, about 1.5meter of wire. USe for charging handphone and GPS is directly to battery too with online fuse.
considering a fusebox to get done wiring neatly.

:cheers:

·
Registered
699 Posts
:thanx: stonedGP & A2RON.
very well explained and documented. will be usefull when the time comes for the fusebox.

:cheers:
hey A2RON did the work...I just copied it/linked it. :exactly:

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So....

I am looking at relays, is there any cheaper options then the 3CS? I really just want switched power to a GPS and power outlet. And I seem to not be finding them, as of now.

·
Registered
699 Posts
So....

I am looking at relays, is there any cheaper options then the 3CS? I really just want switched power to a GPS and power outlet. And I seem to not be finding them, as of now.
Just noticed you were in MI. Whereabouts in MI are you from?

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
It depends on what you plan to use it for. I installed a fusebox with switched and non-switched connections. I wired my GPS directly to the fusebox on a switched port. I installed a BMW type Powerlet connect to the battery so that I could use it to connect a battery tender, or battery for a jump start. I also use it for my heated gear. They nice thing about the BMW type outlet is that Powerlet and others have all kinds of adapters for them.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
It depends on what you plan to use it for. I installed a fusebox with switched and non-switched connections. I wired my GPS directly to the fusebox on a switched port. I installed a BMW type Powerlet connect to the battery so that I could use it to connect a battery tender, or battery for a jump start. I also use it for my heated gear. They nice thing about the BMW type outlet is that Powerlet and others have all kinds of adapters for them.
I just can't figure out if I am ever going to need that third port on it. And I don't feel like tapping multiple wires everytime I need another relay. Otherwise, I can save like $20 by just buying a single relay. Or just go unswitched and remember to unplug my devices everytime....

·
Registered
699 Posts
Petoskey/Boyne City/Charlevoix. You ever come up here? Haven't really seen that many other Vs running around. Just me, a guy I work with, and a guy from Gaylord.
Never know where i end up sometimes. The V gives me a real case of wanderlust at times. What do you think of having a Michigan V meet this summer? I think there's about 7 or 8 of us not counting your buddies up there.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I would be up for it, assuming it doesn't clash with any of my other planned weekends. I don't know the Gaylord guy, just met him once. And no guarantee on the co-worker. But yeah, I'm in.

July is all open, and I have Lallopalooza and MotoGP in August, but I can do the other weekends.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Greetings, Just installed my 12-volt cigarette outlet from sw-motech, via twisted throttle.
cpa.00.006.103, mount is cpa.00.006.160. $50.00 plus shipping.
There is so much wire I had to wrap a coil around the steering head. The mount places the outlet touching the bars so I elongated the holes on the bottom side to raise the outlet up about 1/8" and clear the bars. Also I could not get the shrink fit cover hot enough over the outlet so I cut it and wraped with electrical tape.
That is how I power my radar detector.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts