Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, I decided I wanted a power outlet on the Versys to run my Droid in GPS mode and charge it. So I got a Bikemaster water proof outlet for under $10.00 and will make a bracket myself. I found the wiring on my 2012, left hand side behind the middle plastic. BUT It looks like I need a relay to use this without hacking things up. Is it worth the cost or should I break out the sidecutters? I'm cheap BUT not so cheap as to wreak the harness to save a couple of bucks. I have found the relay on Amazon for the Versys at $30.00, or a E-5000 from Bocsh is $10.00+ locally will work.

I did draw the line at $189.00 for the Kawasaki kits, power outlet & relay, unless they included a Pit Girl! :goodluck: I won't say what they told me THAT cost! :eek:

·
Registered
4,762 Posts
If you are not going to draw a lot of current (driod & gps) you can use male spade connectors. There is a switched "hot" in the harness. Just use 2 of these!

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
You can use any car relay, electrically they are all the same although some are rated for more max amps than others. Most auto parts places sell them for $10. If you want the best connection possible, solder it. Push on and crimp connectors, especially aluminum ones tend to corrode over time and can cause future issues.

http://www.eurekaboy.com/f250/relay101.htm

·
Registered
1,654 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Here's what I've found so far. The Kawasaki Relay kit (99994-0195) looks to have the mounting bracket and the relay of course. I will have the dealer check to be sure if this is the case and if so I'll buy the relay kit as the Bikemaster socket will fit and is under $10.00 and will plug right into the Kawasaki factory harness without cutting. If the Kit with comes with the bracket and relay at $30.00ish is not to bad, I could make a bracket if needed but buying it is both faster and easier.

NOW the real trick deal. Looking I noticed that the hook up on the faclory harness are all twin hook ups. That mean with the relay you can run the outlet AND grip heater off the same relay kit as it is needed to hook up either of these. OR you could plug in a GSP/USB phone charger/or any number of things. I'd like it the run my Slime Compressor off it, easier than pulling the left saddlebag to get the seat off and hook to the battery. I also have a little 12v drop light that'd be great to have on the bike at night if I had a break down

I'll post back when I find out from the dealer.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Fize you, I'd rig it so I could run something bigger (say a heated vest, etc.) if I so de-czard. You never know when you might wanna take off to AK> Trigger the relay with switched power.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts