Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
451 Posts
I would think it wouldnt be to hard. Im sure there are instrucitons available to download from theor website. What type of Exhaust do you have on your machine?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i have a scorpion exhaust and im putting in a pipercross air filter and then im going to get it tuned on a dyno

·
Registered
43 Posts
Its relatively easy. If you have the ability to change the air filter on your own then you can probably install a power commander on your own. If you are really unsure about it, have someone else help you out so you can learn.....its not worth paying a dealer to do it.

·
Registered
699 Posts
I have one coming too, along with an Arrow full system and a BMG filter. I've already downloaded all the install PDF files. The job looks to be about 2.5 hr job, not including Dyno and tuning (maps). It's on my to do list for next weekend. Can't wait to get to it.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Install is pretty easy. I soldered the connection to tps instead of using the tie in as well.

·
Registered
624 Posts
If you have any significant miles on your bike you might want to change the spark plugs while you have it apart. Make sure that you hook up to the TPS sensor and not the Secondary throttle sensor. They look identical, the TPS is the bottom one.

·
Registered
429 Posts
I just ordered the PC III from the local dealer today, they had some big sale, killer deals on some sweet bikes too. Guess the economy forced some discounts. I've got the TB CF can already, love the sound. Bike seems to have more pep, but doesn't have wheelie power. The shop guru was eager to talk with me and recommended installing a one tooth smaller front sprocket. I'll try the PCIII first.

·
Registered
83 Posts
What is the name and location of the dealer and what did the PC3 cost. I'm interested in puting one in as well.

Thanks,
Colin

·
Registered
429 Posts
Not the best deal, but I paid $289 at Cycleworld in B-More.

I'm going to put it in myself. I'll report back with an opinion. I just saw it online for around $250, so that's probably a better bet. Oh well.

I'm coming from a modded and geard down FZ1, and I ride dirt bikes to give you an idea of what I'm looking for power wise (not FZ1 power obviously....). Looking for some more grunt. I might very well order a sprocket online as well and give that a try.

Luke

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
you might want to take ita step further and get a high flow air filter and then have your bike tuned on a dyno so they can remap your fuel injection for setting your power commander plus you can see what kind of horsepower and torque your bike is making, i think the powwer commander works really nice

·
Registered
429 Posts
Cool. For now I'm just going to run the Akro map and keep an eye out for a decent deal on the filter. Can't believe how much $$ they charge for the air filters. The shop wanted $315 to run the dyno and setup a custom map. Forget that!

·
Registered
371 Posts
Dyno tunes around here are $275.

If you are going to install the PC, might as well do pulgs and airfilter at the same time, since you have to take the tank and airbox off.

I have no dyno tuned mine, but it runs really great on the Akro map. I'm running a TB pipe, with stock header.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Mudarra, are you running the quiet insert? Air filter? Wheelie power?

Thanks, Luke
Yes, its the P-1 power tip, I wouldn't exactly call it "quiet". Stock air filter.
And it will power wheelie in first scary fast.

(I'm too old and chicken**** to try one any faster. :) )

·
Registered
429 Posts
Yes, its the P-1 power tip, I wouldn't exactly call it "quiet". Stock air filter.
And it will power wheelie in first scary fast.

(I'm too old and chicken**** to try one any faster. :) )
Cool, thanks. I tried the TB w/o insert and it was stupid loud. With the insert I think it's alright, I mean I can fire it up in my garage and not go deaf. ;) It's a lot more quiet than many other bikes on the road with the insert, but I agree it's not "quiet". It's just right. :)

·
Registered
429 Posts
Hey guys, just installed the PCIII and took a spin. It's definately a lot nicer. Seems to pull harder everywhere, smooth too. 6th gear seems more useful, it really lugs now. 95% of backfiring is gone. A worthwile upgrade for sure. I'll know more later, gotta take care of some chain lash first.

·
Registered
699 Posts
New Map

BTW gentleman..i got an e-mail alert from Dynojet about a new map to download. "Arrow full exhaust, Stock or aftermarket air filter". I tried it today...compared to Red Herrings map, which is what i've been using, it's smoother down low but a bit weaker and less smooth on top. Gonna try it on a longer ride tomorrow. Might go back to Red Herrings map till i get my final dyno run.
Here's a link http://www.powercommander.com/powercommander/powercommander_iii_usb.aspx?mk=8&mdl=181&yr=2008

1 - 20 of 25 Posts