Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

Not new to motorcycling, I’ve been riding since I was 18 and I’m in my 50’s now.

Currently riding a 2008 Honda VTX 1300 and love the bike but recently I’ve been doing more all day/all weekend rides with my buddies and I am finding the cruiser is exhausting at the end of the day.

I recall when I bought my fist cruiser that it took more effort to steer then the more upright sport touring bikes I was used to. Most of my riding at that time was commuting and a couple hours with my riding group.

I’ve been researching different types of bikes and seem to have landed on the Versys 1000 as the bike that will best suit my needs.

I don’t think I’ll buy new, but I don’t want to go too old either. Any years or models to avoid?

Here’s my X, she’s currently tucked away for the winter.

Tire Plant Fuel tank Wheel Automotive fuel system

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

· Registered
2017 Kawasaki Versys-x 300 (non ABS)
1,232 Posts
Welcome aboard! Nice looking cruiser -- a buddy of mine just sold his vtx1800 ... smooth ride!

I'm sure others will chime in for help with looking for a 1000 ... I'm pretty content with my 300 Versys 👍🏻 (also in my 50s ... been riding on and off since I was a boy)

Good luck with the search!

JT

· Registered
2019 Kawasaki Versys 650 LT
832 Posts
Welcome from Texas. I went from a Harley softail to the 650, has enough power for what I want to do now days, I'm passing mid 60's. The lighter bike is truly appreciated. Here's a site that lists the differences in Versys models 300x, 650 and 1000. May help your decision making. I'm sure you'll enjoy which ever you pick.

· Registered
2016 Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
227 Posts
You better look at this before it goes........

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You better look at this before it goes........
Thanks, I saw that, Axel tagged me, I presume I can’t comment on classified ads until I reach a certain post count.

I should also note I am in Eastern Ontario Canada, so the travel, exchange and import taxes make that not such a nice deal.

Sent from the outside looking in.

· Registered
184 Posts
I grabbed a 650 as I didn't need the power edge offered by the 1000 and the 650 was a good blend of abilities for me.
In 2021 and 2022 in Canada they offered both the 1000 LT & LT SE with the LT SE having more gismos and farkles, in 2023 the LT SE is the only version offered.
I think if I was buying a recent used one I'd look for for a 1000 LT SE, but I don't think they have made a bad version of the bike, the engine and the base bike were well sorted out by Kawasaki before they hatched the Versys.
Zack Courts gave a pretty good a pretty good overview here:

BTW how's the Lab doing, must be a few years old now. (-:
(A Honda Shadow person remembers)

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I grabbed a 650 as I didn't need the power edge offered by the 1000 and the 650 was a good blend of abilities for me.
In 2021 and 2022 in Canada they offered both the 1000 LT & LT SE with the LT SE having more gismos and farkles, in 2023 the LT SE is the only version offered.
I think if I was buying a recent used one I'd look for for a 1000 LT SE, but I don't think they have made a bad version of the bike, the engine and the base bike were well sorted out by Kawasaki before they hatched the Versys.
Zack Courts gave a pretty good a pretty good overview here:

BTW how's the Lab doing, must be a few years old now. (-:
(A Honda Shadow person remembers)
LOL, River is doing great. Your user name must be different.

I’ve watched a few of his videos and a few others. I really need to get on one and get a ride.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's good to hear about River, CS instead of Other for the first name.
I try to keep the info harvesting bots guessing.
Ah yes I remember. Do you still have the Shadow? I pop in there once in a while, but have been spending most my time in the VTXOA and some sledding forums.

· Registered
184 Posts
Yes I still have the 750 ACE and can't see me parting with it at this point, it's like a comfy chair that's broken in for me. (-:
I keep it plated and insured.
It isn't worth much to sell and with the performance mods it is probably a little dangerous for a beginner looking for a cheap cruiser.
In SW Ontario we are getting the first snow of the year today, its pretty warm though, no good for bikes or sleds, just heavy to shovel.

· Registered
2019 V1K
49 Posts
Hello all,

Not new to motorcycling, I’ve been riding since I was 18 and I’m in my 50’s now.

Currently riding a 2008 Honda VTX 1300 and love the bike but recently I’ve been doing more all day/all weekend rides with my buddies and I am finding the cruiser is exhausting at the end of the day.

I recall when I bought my fist cruiser that it took more effort to steer then the more upright sport touring bikes I was used to. Most of my riding at that time was commuting and a couple hours with my riding group.

I’ve been researching different types of bikes and seem to have landed on the Versys 1000 as the bike that will best suit my needs.

I don’t think I’ll buy new, but I don’t want to go too old either. Any years or models to avoid?

Here’s my X, she’s currently tucked away for the winter.

View attachment 192148

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Smurfy, I just went through a similar thought and decision process. i sold my 2003 VTX 1300 because I didn't love riding it and was tired of walking around it and dusting it off. I bought it because I thought it would be more comfortable than my previous Nighthawk 650 and Suzuki Intruder 800 were.

Anyway, your bike is way nicer than my VTX was, very beautiful. But if it's the same bike underneath that mine was, then it is slow, porky, and ponderous to steer. Sure, big comfortable seat, but I actually was less comfortable on it because it wanted to go straight, and as you mention was a chore to pilot.

In my case, after the X was gone for a while, I got the itch and bought a new 2019 Yamaha XSR700, a little naked streetbike, because I wanted the performance the V lacked and a smaller package. Well, the bike was hella fun and I liked it, but it wasn't as relaxed a riding position as I wanted and there were no reasonable baggage options. This bike had no windshield (to speak of) and no cargo capacity. It was in my budget, but it turns out I wasn't budgeting correctly.

I quickly realized that I sorely missed those things, needed a more standard-like riding position, and even the sporty 700 had left me wanting more at times, mainly highway-speed passing. It was the first bike I topped 100 on. Anyway, decide to cut my losses and sell it, again not knowing if I'd get back into riding. Well, before the season ended, I got the itch. I researched 5x what I did before, sat on more bikes, watched more vids, I really didn't want to mess up again and have a loss on selling a new bike with 800 miles on it. . . You can see the backstory in my other posts here.

When I considered all I'd learned through 25 years of riding and several bikes owned and many ridden, I decide I'd that even though I'd never been exposed to sport/adventure/tour kind of bikes, they looked like they'd fit my bill. I'm from a small town in the South, so I came up with pretty much exclusively the "cruiser guys" and the "sport bike guys" and the very few "weird adventure bike guys" were viewed as rich weirdos. There just weren't many bikes like this when I was coming up. Some BMWs. Out of our league.

Well, I'll cut to the chase- When I finally made up my mind based on my needs, (Windshield, Cargo, Power!) and there was one more feature I really wanted, Cruise Control. When I went looking for what had all that plus cruise, naturally I found myself in adventure bike land. I came to this and the other forum asking "Which Versys models have CC?" and that led me to learn about the Gen 2s and Gen 3s. Gen 3 Versys 1000 bikes (2019 and up) all have CC and al the rest I mentioned. I rode one at the dealer, and then I knew- This bike is awesome!

Only downside is the high seat. There are no differences between the earlier and later Gen 3s. That being the case, I bought a 2019 with low miles, and I love it. I would never have considered buying something that expensive, but I still had the cash from the previous XSR sale, so it softened it a bit and in the end I'm glad I bought the Versys 1k, it is a hell of a lot more motorcycle than I've ever had.

TLDR- Get a 2019-Up V1K, you will never look back.

Your X is very nice, but it will only take one ride to realize what you've been missing!

Good luck. Hope to se you here with your new V soon!

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Yes I still have the 750 ACE and can't see me parting with it at this point, it's like a comfy chair that's broken in for me. (-:
I keep it plated and insured.
It isn't worth much to sell and with the performance mods it is probably a little dangerous for a beginner looking for a cheap cruiser.
In SW Ontario we are getting the first snow of the year today, its pretty warm though, no good for bikes or sleds, just heavy to shovel.
We got a good dump here in SE Ont last night. Not too heavy and my sled is going to be fun this weekend. Finally.

· Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Smurfy, I just went through a similar thought and decision process. i sold my 2003 VTX 1300 because I didn't love riding it and was tired of walking around it and dusting it off. I bought it because I thought it would be more comfortable than my previous Nighthawk 650 and Suzuki Intruder 800 were.

Anyway, your bike is way nicer than my VTX was, very beautiful. But if it's the same bike underneath that mine was, then it is slow, porky, and ponderous to steer. Sure, big comfortable seat, but I actually was less comfortable on it because it wanted to go straight, and as you mention was a chore to pilot.

In my case, after the X was gone for a while, I got the itch and bought a new 2019 Yamaha XSR700, a little naked streetbike, because I wanted the performance the V lacked and a smaller package. Well, the bike was hella fun and I liked it, but it wasn't as relaxed a riding position as I wanted and there were no reasonable baggage options. This bike had no windshield (to speak of) and no cargo capacity. It was in my budget, but it turns out I wasn't budgeting correctly.

I quickly realized that I sorely missed those things, needed a more standard-like riding position, and even the sporty 700 had left me wanting more at times, mainly highway-speed passing. It was the first bike I topped 100 on. Anyway, decide to cut my losses and sell it, again not knowing if I'd get back into riding. Well, before the season ended, I got the itch. I researched 5x what I did before, sat on more bikes, watched more vids, I really didn't want to mess up again and have a loss on selling a new bike with 800 miles on it. . . You can see the backstory in my other posts here.

When I considered all I'd learned through 25 years of riding and several bikes owned and many ridden, I decide I'd that even though I'd never been exposed to sport/adventure/tour kind of bikes, they looked like they'd fit my bill. I'm from a small town in the South, so I came up with pretty much exclusively the "cruiser guys" and the "sport bike guys" and the very few "weird adventure bike guys" were viewed as rich weirdos. There just weren't many bikes like this when I was coming up. Some BMWs. Out of our league.

Well, I'll cut to the chase- When I finally made up my mind based on my needs, (Windshield, Cargo, Power!) and there was one more feature I really wanted, Cruise Control. When I went looking for what had all that plus cruise, naturally I found myself in adventure bike land. I came to this and the other forum asking "Which Versys models have CC?" and that led me to learn about the Gen 2s and Gen 3s. Gen 3 Versys 1000 bikes (2019 and up) all have CC and al the rest I mentioned. I rode one at the dealer, and then I knew- This bike is awesome!

Only downside is the high seat. There are no differences between the earlier and later Gen 3s. That being the case, I bought a 2019 with low miles, and I love it. I would never have considered buying something that expensive, but I still had the cash from the previous XSR sale, so it softened it a bit and in the end I'm glad I bought the Versys 1k, it is a hell of a lot more motorcycle than I've ever had.

TLDR- Get a 2019-Up V1K, you will never look back.

Your X is very nice, but it will only take one ride to realize what you've been missing!

Good luck. Hope to se you here with your new V soon!
Lots of good info, thank you.

I think we have the same needs/wants that led me to the Versys. After having the saddlebags on the cruisers it would be hard to not have some cargo. And as I said, I’m doing more weekend rides, so there is a need for storage.

· Super Moderator
22,240 Posts
...We got a good dump here in SE Ont last night....
WHERE in SE Ont? (I lived in E Ont, in St Eugene, for around 12 years).

1 - 20 of 22 Posts