Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,

I am new here and have been learning on this forum since about March of this year. I have always been a metric cruiser guy (since I was a kid). I have been riding for several decades.

I've been becoming more and more attracted to the sport/touring, adventure/touring type of bikes in the last several years. I like sport bikes, but not the riding position, (just my preference), so the sport/touring type bikes with the upright riding position appeal more to me.

Anyway, both the 650 and 1000 LT Versys' have caught my eye. I definitely like the new updated look. When I saw the specks and the reasonable MSRP's, I liked them even more. I would prefer a belt or shaft drive, but that's not a big issue.

I've owned at least 3 Kawi's in past years and like all metrics I've owned, I've had no problems with them whatsoever.

I test-drove a 2015 Versys 1000 LT on Saturday. It was a different experience then what I am used to, to say the least. I have never owned a bike I can't flat foot, so I felt a little uncomfortable on the V. My inseam is 31 1/2". Also, my standard type cruiser boots did not work well with the shifter or the brake pedal. I couldn't get to the controls comfortably. Easy fix, new boots.

I don't want to lower the bike and loose out on the center stand or perhaps a little of the bikes handling.

Question 1: I saw someone post here, but can no longer find the post, that after a few hundred miles or so, his V's suspension broke in some and he could then flatfoot the bike. I believe he had about the same inseam as I do. Can anyone comment on this? I am about 1/2" from flat footing this bike in my 1 3/4" healed boots. The balls of my feet touch, but the heal does not. The dealer barely pressed down on the luggage rack while I was sitting on the bike and my feet, heals and all, were flat on the ground.

Question 2: I was also wondering if the shifter can be adjusted as most can? I forgot to look at it while I was at the dealer.

If needed, I can get the factory seat lowered by a guy around me for about $200, but I'd rather not if I don't have too. The OEM seat was actually pretty comfortable as is.

The V felt like a totally different ride then what I am used too, which is what I am looking for. I get bored faster these days and usually get a new bike every 3-4 years or so. This time around, I'd like a different type of riding experience than I am used to. My only issue is, I don't want to start changing the dynamics of the bike, just to make it work for me.

Any comments or suggestions on these issues would be welcomed.

Thanks in advance. :)

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Question 1: I saw someone post here, but can no longer find the post, that after a few hundred miles or so, his V's suspension broke in some and he could then flatfoot the bike. I believe he had about the same inseam as I do. Can anyone comment on this? I am about 1/2" from flat footing this bike in my 1 3/4" healed boots. The balls of my feet touch, but the heal does not. The dealer barely pressed down on the luggage rack while I was sitting on the bike and my feet, heals and all, were flat on the ground.
I have a couple thousand miles on mine and haven't noticed it getting any lower. I have a 29" inseam and had mine lowered an inch front and back from day 1. I can't flat foot it, but it's low enough that it's within my comfort zone now.

When my wife gets on I can almost flat foot it.

As far as handling goes, it goes around corners just fine. I do drag the cat when I get frisky with my wife on the back. I cut the side stand down and put a Flatfoot on it and it scrapes, but the stand moves without upsetting the bike. Just makes noise.

I did ditch the centerstand, but don't know if I needed to. I have jackstands that I haven't used in forever as I've been riding belts or shafties lately. Besides, centerstands have always been a thorn in my side. They either scrape and want to lift the rear tire or their levers intrude on my foot while riding.

I will say that the centerstand on the V1K is about the best designed on I've come across. Lifting it is like butter.

Question 2: I was also wondering if the shifter can be adjusted as most can? I forgot to look at it while I was at the dealer.
Yes, though I found it well placed. The rear brake lever OTOH was angled down way too far. It also has an adjuster that fixed that.

If needed, I can get the factory seat lowered by a guy around me for about $200, but I'd rather not if I don't have too. The OEM seat was actually pretty comfortable as is.
Even with short legs, I hate to give up the legroom. I'm normally an anti-lowering kinda guy myself, but this bike is a sport-tourer on stilts. There is no reason for it to be so tall except to compete in the "hot" adventure touring market.

The V felt like a totally different ride then what I am used too
For me too. The word that comes to mind is "delicate." The grips are thin, the clutch is light, and the throttle is overly responsive. It took me a few rides to get used to it.

IMO, the bike works best in Low Power Mode. The Full Power Mode is too jerky to ride twisty roads smoothly. It works fine for highway or straight two laners where a lot of high speed passes are necessary. Fortunately, it can be changed on the fly. Just have to roll off the gas before you press the button. And don't kid yourself, LPM is plenty fast.

The seat is comfy for an hour or so. I've taken to use an Airhawk which makes the bike all day comfy. Increases the leg room a bit too.

There ain't much modulation with the clutch. It works best "slapped" when changing gears.

Forget everything you know about rev matching. This bike has a slipper clutch. Just bang them down. Tire slows nothing locks up, it works wonderfully. Before I remembered it had a slipper, I was trying to rev match and was having a hard time getting the timing down where it didn't feel jerky. Then I stopped trying and found I was wasting my time anyway.

All in all, it's been a really nice bike. I'm going to take it down to get it baptized in the mountains in a few weeks. Looking forward to that born again feeling.

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
Test rode the V1K for 730 km, had a ball. I didn't have any problems with jerkiness but I'm used to my 650 Versys. As saddlebag said the shifter is adjustable and boots sure make a difference. The handling is as sweet as the 650 (awesome) the 1k just gets there a lot quicker.
I was super comfortable with the seat and in fact an airhawk just raises the seat height I prefer no airhawk personally. It ain't a cruiser that's for sure. It's an awesome bike.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Test rode the V1K for 730 km, had a ball. I didn't have any problems with jerkiness but I'm used to my 650 Versys.
I wonder if yours was in LPM?

I really don't see the need for the two power modes. If they would have simply mapped the on/off throttle of settings of LPM onto the FPM map, it would have been perfect.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you both for all the feedback. I really appreciate it. I will digest the info and go for another test ride this week. :)

·
Premium Member
7,882 Posts
Keep riding and you will set into the bike. Changing the dynamic of the bike by lowering , you will have a bit of handling problem.:welcome::goodluck:

·
Registered
2,040 Posts
I wonder if yours was in LPM?

I really don't see the need for the two power modes. If they would have simply mapped the on/off throttle of settings of LPM onto the FPM map, it would have been perfect.
I started it off in LPM and changed it to HPM after a while.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks for your post. Next week I am looking at the 2015 versys 1000 and most likely will buy. I sat on a 2014 650 and a v strom 1000, although taller than what I am used to, since I currently also ride a low cruiser, I had no problem supporting the bikes. But no flat foot here, I am 5'7 32 in seam and loose fitting pants with my riding boots helped.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Thanks for your post. Next week I am looking at the 2015 versys 1000 and most likely will buy. I sat on a 2014 650 and a v strom 1000, although taller than what I am used to, since I currently also ride a low cruiser, I had no problem supporting the bikes. But no flat foot here, I am 5'7 32 in seam and loose fitting pants with my riding boots helped.
If you find it too tall, lowering it only costs $100 and you won't loose a bit of suspension travel. You will lower the COG of the bike too, thereby giving it slow speed manners more like your former cruiser. That's a big positive in my book.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Thanks. Today I decided to get the versys 1000, surprisingly I was able to place both feet flat with my boots. Picking her up tomorrow, she is a black beauty.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts