Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi.
I have grown to like my 15 Versys 650 but the stock engine sound/exhaust is a bit too tame and buzzy for me. It sounds kind of like a scooter or something in my opinion.
I've always liked the sounds of sport bikes and was wondering if there is any way to make my bike sound like one.
I know I know I should have got a ninja if I wanted a bike that sounded like a ninja but my bike is quite thankful for the upright seating position of the Versys plus I already bought the Versys lol.
Any thoughts on how to accomplish something like this? Doesn't need to sound IDENTICAL. Just want to know if there is an exhaust or modification that will make my bike sound similar.
Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
same motor as the ninja so just put a slip on high flow can, keep your rpms high and you can be louder like the sport bikes

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
K thanks. I'll take a look and see what's out there.
Do you know if I need to tune the bike and all that jazz if I install a slip on can?

·
Registered
3,159 Posts
K thanks. I'll take a look and see what's out there.
Do you know if I need to tune the bike and all that jazz if I install a slip on can?

some people say you do some say you dont, i really think its just up to you. the bike has a computer thats far smarter then me lol

·
Registered
96 Posts
Take an icepick and just start poking holes in the muffler until you get the sound/noise that you like. Or you can put an expensive can on it and sell the stock muffler to someone who is tired of the sound of his expensive can. Or maybe offer a trade to someone. Happy Motoring. I think my 650 V sounds like an old popcorn machine gone mad as compared to my 1990 K Concours which is somewhere between a rice grinder and an agricultural rice paddy water pump engine.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Ninja is just a name, used on many different engine sizes and configurations. I think your talking about a common inline-four sport bike. In that that case, no, never! For one thing, you only have half of the cylinders of one.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Yeah, to make it sound like a ZX-6R, you'd need to have its inline-4, 636cc engine... It would sound pretty cool with a Norton NRV588 rotary (Wankel) twin-rotor race engine.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
That motor sounded sweet! He didn't appear to be at a deficit for speed either.
Yes, and he appeared to back off a bit to let the ZX-R by, then chased it to win... That Wankel engine sure is unique. They're also perfectly vibration-free, usually with an alarm sounding at redline. Mazda 787B with 2622cc 4-rotor Wankel developed 700 hp at 9000 rpm.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I appreciate the way the stock one is tucked up under the bike, and the sound doesn't bother me one way or another, I think it's fine.

I have not seen an aftermarket that did not look funny, or like it would be prone to being torn off by something.

·
Registered
186 Posts
I'm a huge fan of how Kawi put this can on the bike...I since bought the 1000 Versys and now have my cannon hanging out the side.

Good luck on your quest to fine the sound!

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Yes to get back on topic, you can certainly make it sound better with aftermarket slip-on exhaust, and there's no need for any special fuel management... Leo Vince SBK EVO II underbody muffler retains stock location, but is made in Italy and is relatively expensive.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Side free flow muffler with short oval under body free flow muffler. All in polished 316 stainless.

·
Super Moderator
8,624 Posts
A friend of mine in Malaysia let me ride his 650cc for a weekend over there and he had a Yoshi pipe which sounded great.
No Video

1 - 16 of 16 Posts