Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I got tired of rolling my bike forward to oil the chain, so I came up with a two piece rear stand that works; I just used it to oil my chain. Is is pretty sturdy as well...With some modifications, I couild make this a portable stand you could fit in a duffle bag pocket, etc....:yeahsmile:

Attachments

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Not to hijack, but how do you like the scorp trails? Have you run them off pavement?

BTW, how do you get the bike up on the legs? You're clamping the front brake, no?

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to hijack, but how do you like the scorp trails? Have you run them off pavement?

BTW, how do you get the bike up on the legs? You're clamping the front brake, no?
I have no clue about the scorp trails...I had a flat tire and it was the only tire the shop had in that size.:huh:

I do not use the front brake. It is hard to tell from the pics, but I have a stopper that rests on the control arm that will not let the stand go past a certain point. I secure the stand on the right side, I install the stand on the left side but I don't tighten it down all the way. With the right stand in place, I push and lift the bike up and "kick" the other stand in place. I gently let the bike back down and then tighten the left stand all the way. both stands have a stopper so the weight of the bike keeps it from moving.
It works great!!

·
Registered
148 Posts
Dont be confused I think CJBROWN believes the new rear tire on your bike is a Perilli Scorpion trail tire. hope it helps, Ride safe

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Dont be confused I think CJBROWN believes the new rear tire on your bike is a Perilli Scorpion trail tire. hope it helps, Ride safe
Sorry, yes I thought that's what that tire was. I'm getting ready to drop coin for a pair and wanted some fresh feedback.

·
Registered
842 Posts
An Alternative

An alternative that somebody has invented is the PackJack.

The current model is just on the short side, but Greg is about to release a slightly longer one.

He also has a model for those without spools.

I had planned to carry something to put under it anyway and my piece of trimmed down 1 x 2 fits inside.

The whole unit fits down to 7" x 2" x 1"

Attachments

G

·
I'm curious for the need for these? A paddock stand costs peanuts and is far more stable? Unless your doing big trips you dont need to oil the chain on the road? even then, you can lean it against a tree or wall on the sidetsand. even remove the wheel, without the need to carrying anything?

·
Registered
131 Posts
I'm curious for the need for these?

yea me too - but maybe some of it is trying to replicate the convenience of a center stand, i dunno.

ive always done the tree & bungee thing when im away from home, no fear of it falling over when its secured :thumb:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
yea me too - but maybe some of it is trying to replicate the convenience of a center stand, i dunno.

ive always done the tree & bungee thing when im away from home, no fear of it falling over when its secured :thumb:
I have never heard of using a tree/wall before, but I am kinda new to riding.

I guess the main reasons I built this thing was:1 I needed a rear stand,2 My wife would nag at me for spending more money on the bike, 3 I got me a welder and needed something to play arouind with.

I was just sharing some ideas; if they are unwanted, then I will keep them to myself.

·
Registered
131 Posts
I have never heard of using a tree/wall before, but I am kinda new to riding.
no biggie - its just a thing of efficiency and stability when youre in pinch.

I was just sharing some ideas; if they are unwanted, then I will keep them to myself.
well i wouldnt go that far.

ideas like a diy quickstand are always in an iterative state. over time all the variations boil down into a few common versions. those sort of become the standard out of which a commercial product may be born (or not).

anyway, everyone pitching in, yourself and others in an open ended way is what builds and refines ideas. it grows the knowledge base on a topic. the end result can be to everyone's benefit because youre bypassing traditional product development which is usually asking "how much will we make off this widget?" rather than the more direct "how do i solve this problem?" which is th diy route.

please dont take questions or feedback as personal insult, thats not the intention. imo, were talking idea building - which ya cant do without asking questions :thumb:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
no biggie - its just a thing of efficiency and stability when youre in pinch.

well i wouldnt go that far.

ideas like a diy quickstand are always in an iterative state. over time all the variations boil down into a few common versions. those sort of become the standard out of which a commercial product may be born (or not).

anyway, everyone pitching in, yourself and others in an open ended way is what builds and refines ideas. it grows the knowledge base on a topic. the end result can be to everyone's benefit because youre bypassing traditional product development which is usually asking "how much will we make off this widget?" rather than the more direct "how do i solve this problem?" which is th diy route.

please dont take questions or feedback as personal insult, thats not the intention. imo, were talking idea building - which ya cant do without asking questions :thumb:
Very well said...COOLNESS!!:D

·
Registered
1,517 Posts
I'm curious for the need for these? A paddock stand costs peanuts and is far more stable? Unless your doing big trips you dont need to oil the chain on the road? even then, you can lean it against a tree or wall on the sidetsand. even remove the wheel, without the need to carrying anything?
Any pics demonstrating such a thing? I've had my buddy pull it up on its side stand and front wheel. I made a two piece job that fits in an eye glass case. Don't have a pic of it though.

·
Registered
1,174 Posts
That's an interesting idea, can you put some more detailed pics and some dimensions pleeeease?

·
Registered
842 Posts
I'm curious for the need for these?
I have a weekender / property on Salt Spring Island and it is there that I hope to do longer rides (on Vancouver Island) so to be able to do a lube there would be great.

Also I have more time when I am away (not doing domestics around the house).

I will keep a can of lube and the PackJack in the sidecase.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts