Kawasaki Versys Forum banner

1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I found this interesting that they don't come out and mention the Versys but if you notice the fourth paragraph they do mention "From reports on the USA and French Forums".

Even though its for the Ninja 650---it wouldn't hurt to double check your frame.

I thought it would be a good idea to share this just in case. For your peace of mind check it out and make sure you won't be a statistic out there.

I can see how it could happen; especially if you think about it somewhere after the welding is done the frame gets painted and no one would be the wiser if there was a problem ---- until after the fact of a few casualties.

Safe riding!

Attachments

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
It is the same... With the motor mount bolts removed, mine had a 2.8 mm gap between collar and mount on the right, and a 2.5 mm gap on the left between mount and engine head. With the left side bolt still tightened as others have measured it, my right side gap opens to 3.4 mm as usually noted. I shimmed mine out on both sides to keep it good and balanced from the start without any pre-tension.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Cracked Frame

Hi; I saw a post on this forum and checked; My versys had 4000km and there was a small crack and rust on the frame meaning it was already starting to crack. I went to my local dealer ; they took pictures and sent it to Kawasaki Canada. Kawasaki Canada told me they were willing to repair the bike. Meaning that they would pay to have the frame welded and repainted where it was cracked. :mad::mad::mad:

I talked with a Roger at Technical support for kawasaki Canada and he told me the would not replace the frame since they can repair it. They don't even know who will be doing the welding job so How can they assure me that it will be ok ???

The bike is brand new and it is a known problem and they won't replace the frame. In the last three years I bought a zzr600 2006 a ZX6 2007 and a versys 2007. It is sad because the dealer where I live give great service.

: Update; I talked with the guys at the store (dealer) here today and they told me that welding should fix it and if it doesn't they would take care of it. Like they would support the job. So case closed for me !

Jules

·
Registered
272 Posts
oh geez are we going to have some major issues here. I havn't even taking it in for its first service , I ll be checking mine tonight.... ( yeah I only have 330km just got my license)

·
Registered
440 Posts
Thanks for the heads-up. If you have a problem and Kawasaki has it fixed, it should be good to go. In my opinion, once they confirm a problem and fix it, they are on the hook for that repair for as long as you own the bike.

If the problem happens out of warranty, they would probably give you a major hassle. However, once they fix it, it's a documented defect they fixed.

Don

·
Registered
4,695 Posts
Hi; I saw a post on this forum and checked; My versys had 4000km and there was a small crack and rust on the frame meaning it was already starting to crack. I went to my local dealer ; they took pictures and sent it to Kawasaki Canada. Kawasaki Canada told me they were willing to repair the bike. Meaning that they would pay to have the frame welded and repainted where it was cracked. :mad::mad::mad:

I talked with a Roger at Technical support for kawasaki Canada and he told me the would not replace the frame since they can repair it. They don't even know who will be doing the welding job so How can they assure me that it will be ok ???

The bike is brand new and it is a known problem and they won't replace the frame. In the last three years I bought a zzr600 2006 a ZX6 2007 and a versys 2007. It is sad because the dealer where I live give great service.

: Update; I talked with the guys at the store (dealer) here today and they told me that welding should fix it and if it doesn't they would take care of it. Like they would support the job. So case closed for me !

Jules

Good news, Jules! :thumb:

·
Registered
193 Posts
Thanks for the heads up. I checked mine and it seems fine, but it pays to keep an eye on it. I'll add that to my regular maintenance schedule.

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
You may as well remove both upper right and upper left motor mount bolts, and shim out both gaps with washers to prevent excess strain and cracking at the mount tabs, like I mentioned in my previous post: "With the motor mount bolts removed, mine had a 2.8 mm gap between collar and mount on the right, and a 2.5 mm gap on the left between mount and engine head. With the left side bolt still tightened as others have measured it, my right side gap opens to 3.4 mm as usually noted. I shimmed mine out on both sides to keep it good and balanced from the start without any pre-tension."

Kawette french ER6/Versys forum is up to 21 pages since Oct 2006 about frame cracking; http://www.kawette.net/forum/viewtopic.php?t=5937&highlight=cadre+fendu

Attachments

·
Registered
469 Posts
FANTASTIC post and info. My frame looked fine but there was a .140 (3.55mm) gap on right side and .085 (2.16mm) left.

I shimmed them with washers just right to fill in gaps.

Thanks to all!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Applicability of possible frame issue to 2008 model?

Afternoon:

Just completed the check on this issue and found that at 32 ft.lbs. of torque (2007 spec. from 2007 manual) I could stand to place a 1/16" washer on either side of my 2008 Versys. I do not think that this is as pronnounced as others have experienced.

Question: The 2007 service manual indicates 32 ft.lbs. of torque on the engine mount bolts. Is the torque spec. the same for the 2008 model?

If torque spec. for 2008 is 32 ft.lbs. like 2007, then I will utilize a 1/16" stainless steel flat washer on both sides.

If the torque spec. for 2008 should happen to be higher, then there may not be an issue!?

·
Registered
8,000 Posts
Torque spec should be the same for 2008... Even if it wasn't, you should still shim out both gaps accordingly.

·
Registered
754 Posts
WOW! This site is really helpful. I loosened the bolt and the gap was substantial...I'd say about 1/4 of an inch! I stuck a couple of washers in there and tightened. Again, so helpful. I really dig this site!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Thanks Invader. I think you have a wise approach here.

I elected to shim (better safe than sorry)- decided to fill the gap with 1/8" washer width on each side (was thinking 1/16" initially). I think this would be about 3mm on each side.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Has anyone noticed any changes in vibration of the motor after shimming it up?

1 - 20 of 121 Posts