Kawasaki Versys Forum banner
1 - 6 of 23 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks!

I posted in what, October that I popped my brand new rear Michelin tire? Well, I did it again on my new brand new tire. I even avoided construction areas and sketchy roads like the plague. Image of the small puncture is below. What a buzz kill....

This puncture is pretty tiny and exactly in the center of the tread, and it still holds air but just leaks over time.

So thoughts:
1. Last time I used proper judgement, and just bought a new tire. This time, I'm pissed and want to patch it. All the shops around me say no :LOL:.
If I were to find a way to pop the tire off, do a good quality internal patch/plug myself, how do people feel about that? Is it totally unsafe, or shall I be fine?

2. Should I just full send and put a basic external patch in with some rubber cement, then test frequently for leaks and air pressure?

3. Obviously the smartest/safest way is to get a new tire. BUT-- my wife will punch me in the trachea. Since i keep frying rear tires, I'm not going to buy a super nice Michelin again. Obviously my luck and my wallet aren't aligned. Any takes on some non-OEM sizes like 170/60R17 or 150/70R17? I really want to do some dirt road riding so was thinking of an ADV tire anyways.

Thanks!
Jon

Tire Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
plug it and ride it it will be fine ...small nail hole like that will plug and seal no problem ..think about fitting tpms they are cheap and easy to fit .

Awesome! thanks for the tip! You mean an interior patch/plug type? I might as well just grab a tire changer then and just muscle my way through it. I will look into a cheap TPMS too, that's a good idea.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
just on the subject i had a real twart of a puncture last year 15mm glass ,,the tpms went off and when i looked it was 31 by the time i puller in it was 15 so that was worth twenty five quid for sure
Holy crap that's an ugly situation! At least you made it to the pub, that's the most important bit :LOL:
Yeah i will for sure look into the TPMS system, that's a good idea. Soon i will get a tire changer too. I want something that can do car/truck tires too, so I will make that as an investment.

I did get the patch in yesterday. Luckily it was such clean, straight puncture I think it will be fine like that for awhile. The patch fit really tightly too, was pretty hard to get in (no jokes intended). The nail itself was holding most of the air anyways. If not, I have more patches and emergency roadside on my insurance.

All of the other guys who chimed in, thanks for the input and I'm glad we're on the same page. Throwing away my $250 tire (the shop i bought the bike from mounted it for free out of sympathy) with like 200 miles on it would have made me really angry. I put an inflator, and a pressure gauge in the kit and i will monitor it as well. I will overfill it tonight and do a pressure decay test on it too before remounting it to the bike.

Thanks for the tips everyone. (note i did trim off the patch, i just left it in the photo to show how cleanly it went in).

Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Motor vehicle Automotive design
Automotive tire Gesture Finger Wood Bumper

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm in the "put in a plug & fill it to 42psi then use it till it's worn out" CAMP. I have run rear SHINKO E-705s in 150/70 x 17 (at 42psi) for years.
Thank you sir, I will give that a shot and see how it goes. So far it hasnt been leaking air, i will keep an eye on the pressure. I will plan on the set of Shinkos after that, i have some gravel roads that i have been to chicken to attack on my street tires.... will let those wear out faster. Any experience with 170/60R17s? I think they would look cooler with how beefy they are.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
"jdrocks" uses that size, so look at his "BUILD" threads in:
Other Motorcycle Make and Model Discussion .....I know it'll be in one or t'other Kawasaki ER-6C, that's C as in Custom ...OR this one. The 2021 Versys V649HP, and 2023 Versys Scooter.

Good luck!
Thank you! you have been super helpful on the topic, I appreciate it.

I'm guessing your old new tyre is ok for a plug too... if you still have it
tell your lady that chances are you wont be spending on a rear tyre for a long time

Yes, i think i can just patch the other one too... I did keep it as a backup. I should be good for awhile i suppose! Ill need to find some other excuse to grab those shinkos though.

1 - 6 of 23 Posts